Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Ruddy or Forster to start for England tonight?

Just been reading Hodgson''s comments about resting players to keep them fit ahead of the more difficult Poland game next week... Logically it would make sense from an England point of view to play Ruddy or Forster tonight and rest Joe Hart, if only to make certain he doesn''t get injured. No disrespect to San Marino, but it''s probably fair to say it really doesn''t matter which ''keeper plays this one... Fingers firmly crossed for them both (although hopefully JR, of course)!

Glad FF has been recognised at full international level.

Would guess Ruddy might start this one. If he does then it''ll cement him in as "official" number 2 to Hart which ain''t bad going for someone who had many a fan lamenting for Forster at the start of the 10/11 season.

Its a no win game for a keeper though-let one in and it''ll be "he conceded a goal against San Marino!", keep a clean sheet-"yes, but it was only San Marino".

Logically it would have to be Ruddy, let''s just hope that Woy hasn''t taken umbrage at Holty''s recent remarks (even if they are justified!) and takes it out on JR by giving the gametime to FF and bringing Hart back against Poland...

Would it be disrespectful to play without a goalkeeper, it would make it more exiting if we had 11 outfield players they''d score a few as well probably from 30 yards out. I reckon we''d still win.

Play a rush goalie perhaps?

Mind you: fastest ever goal in the history of international football-wasn''t that San Marino against England, something in the region of 15-20 seconds after kick off?

I would rather he was rested as he must be knackered from picking the ball out of the back of net!

I too think Hart will start. Hodgson doesn''t do unpredictable very often and he will probably see tonight''s match as a chance for his ''keeper and his defense  to familiarise themselves with each other that bit more in order to put them in good stead for the Polish game.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Play a rush goalie perhaps?

Mind you: fastest ever goal in the history of international football-wasn''t that San Marino against England, something in the region of 15-20 seconds after kick off?

[/quote]

8 seconds, David Guidera or similar, it was on the BBC sport site this week.

San Marino still hold the record for the fastest ever goal scored by a european team in world cup qualifiers... 9 seconds... Against England!that goal also put England out of the 1994 world cup... San Marino have never won a competitive fixture but treat that solitary goal (In a match they lost 7-1) as one of the greatest sporting acheivements the country has ever known, the scorer went on to be a national hero...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]San Marino still hold the record for the fastest ever goal scored by a european team in world cup qualifiers... 9 seconds... Against England!

that goal also put England out of the 1994 world cup...

[/quote]

That goal would have put England out if Poland had beaten Holland. However, Holland beat Poland so it didn''t matter what England did.

Hodgson could play himself in goal and we''d still win tonight.

I''d be shocked if San Marino even have 5 shots. Saw somewhere they whole squads ''transfer value'' was £66k. We could probably put out 11 players who earn more than that a week each.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hodgson could play himself in goal and we''d still win tonight. I''d be shocked if San Marino even have 5 shots. Saw somewhere they whole squads ''transfer value'' was £66k. We could probably put out 11 players who earn more than that a week each.[/quote]

Boy, will you look stupid if it is a 0-0 draw!!!!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hodgson could play himself in goal and we''d still win tonight. I''d be shocked if San Marino even have 5 shots. Saw somewhere they whole squads ''transfer value'' was £66k. We could probably put out 11 players who earn more than that a week each.[/quote]

Boy, will you look stupid if it is a 0-0 draw!!!!

[/quote]

Why would I look stupid?

Its not me playing tonight. If England don''t win they should all retire from international football as they clearly aren''t up to the job. Its a qualifier for one of the biggest sporting events in the world. We are playing one of the worst national football teams in the world. The only logical conclusion you can get from that is England should win very easily. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. Of course England could mess it up, wouldn''t be the first time. But thats not very likely to happen. 20/1 for the draw. You rarely see a team 20/1 to win, never mind draw, even when the likes of Barca and Madrid are playing the dead certs for relegation, I don''t know if the odds are even as high as 20/1 for the other side to win.

So if its 0-0, I won''t look stupid. The England national football team will look stupid.

England are at home to the 2nd worst national team in the world. I think we can legitimately expect to win this game at least 4 or 5 nil.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Just been reading Hodgson''s comments about resting players to keep them fit ahead of the more difficult Poland game next week... Logically it would make sense from an England point of view to play Ruddy or Forster tonight and rest Joe Hart, if only to make certain he doesn''t get injured. No disrespect to San Marino, but it''s probably fair to say it really doesn''t matter which ''keeper plays this one... Fingers firmly crossed for them both (although hopefully JR, of course)![/quote]

Frankly, I''d prefer to be certain that Ruddy is not injured!

OTBC

I have always found it completely baffling why goalkeepers come charging off their line to meet an attacker when they are heading away from goal. Like the San Marino keeper just did. Surely it is much safer to just let them run?