Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

san marino

Pointless game though. I thoroughly agree with Gary Neville about this one.

84, 000+ people thought otherwise though, so who are weI to judge.

Personally, I wouldn''t walk to my next door neighbour''s house to watch this and he does a nice line in home brew.

National laughing stock?

I doubt anyone outside of Norwich (bar the Norwich fans who aren''t in Norwich of course) actually care about our defence...

well it gets ridiculed on national tv every week and ridiculed in the press every sunday morning and not without justification , and the fans of every team we are due to play fancy there chances of a hatful because our defence is an indefensible joke at the moment ...

Every week?

So was ridiculed after 0-0 against West Ham? And after conceding form an encroaching tap in after a penalty save. Or after conceding one away at Spurs, or 1 away at Newcastle?

Have you forgotten those four games?

We had an off day against Liverpool and Fulham. Chelsea are just that much better than us. We did more than enough to beat QPR, West Ham and Spurs, and didn''t really deserve to lose against Newcastle.

Now I may be an optimist when it comes to Norwich, but i''m fairly sure the above statement isn''t too ridiculous...

But some fans seem to want to put the team down? Ok I can get you might be worried, but maybe just try and be a bit more, you know, supportive?

off days ? i would say pathetic sums it up better... anyway back to my original point san marino are fighting like there lives depend on it despite the huge gulf in ability resource and fitness... we could take a leaf out of there book then perhaps the off days would be a bit less frequent

I wasn''t happy with the lack of respect the pundits and commentary team showed San Marino tonight. To hold England to 5 goals with only 1 professional (allbeit 4th tier) player is a good effort on their part. They are only a small nation and at least they showed up and put up a fight (see faroe islands vs Scotland a while back!)

I''m glad I''m no the only one who thoguht San Marino defended really well, and didn''t deserve the massive disrespect from ITV''s, ahem, professional punditry team.

England didn''t play badly, San Marino just made it difficult for England.

Also, you and every other negative poster on here never seem to mention injury and fitness problems.

Bassong has missed 2 and 3/4 games. He probably wasn''t fully fit for the Chelsea game.

Pilkington has missed games.

Bennett has missed games.

Holt looked unfit before the Liverpool game.

Tettey missed first 6 games.

Butterfield and Whittaker not played yet (well not in League in the case of Butterfield anyway)

Garrido joined up with the squad after most of the friendlies didn''t he?

Hughton hasn''t moaned about injury/fitness problems, but I wouldn''t have blamed him if he did. It can''t be easy for a new manager to come in, and try to get the team playing a different style, to introduce a few new faces into that team as well.

And were not San Marino, we don''t need to play like them. Ok teams like Chelsea are loads better than us. But ''fighting for our lives'' isn''t going to help. I''m fairly sure they players were trying... But we weren''t going to just defend with the whole team. And Hughton clearly doesn''t like his players to get too ''dirty'', which I don''t think is working at all, but still.

But seriously, if your going to the Arsenal game, or VIlla away, or any of the next few games. Why? If I was thinking like you, I honestly couldn''t bring myself to bother with it. I''d just give up.

"We had an off day against Liverpool and Fulham. Chelsea are just that much better than us. We did more than enough to beat QPR, West Ham and Spurs, and didn''t really deserve to lose against Newcastle."

Agree. 

That Fulham opener was an absolute body blow.

Representing the worst start to a managerial career that a City boss has probably ever had, it came at precisely the wrong time. It gave manager and players immediate cause to doubt themselves and it put the fans into overdrive, lambasting Hughton''s tactics and envisaging a drastic change in the Club''s philosophy towards unrealistic proportions. Every slight chink in the new man''s armour has subsequently been exploited, and there will always be those. PL had his imperfections too, as Villa will find out.  

We did well to partially recover from that instant kick in the goolies. The recovery is still in force. There is better to come IMO. He is a decent man and a good and knowledgeable manager. Failing the emergence of a Lambert clone, we have no alternative but to persevere with the Hoots. We have had one Messiah this decade, we can hardly expect another one so soon.

But surely city go out and try to attack as well as defend. San Marino only ever defend, they do not try to win, just try to limit the damage. City cannot play like that. If they only ever defended they might concede less goals but relegation would be an absolute certainty

Not really.

We''d still lose, and we wouldn''t attack properly.

The idea of fighting for our lives surely means last ditch defending, clear the ball anywhere. Like we were playing after Barnett got sent off against stoke at home last season.

Playing like that doesn''t work. All it does is reduce the deficit, unless your very good and you might sneak a victory (aka Chelsea in the CL last season).

We did play well in four games, we played ok against a VERY good Chelsea side. Some Chelsea fans were saying thats the best they''ve seen them play. Suarez also seems to love Carrow Road.

Ok, we haven''t been great. But there are easily justifiable reasons for why our performances and/or haven''t been as good as they could/should have been.

Another one (on top of the ones I listed in my above post) transfers. We haven''t done as well with transfers this season. Snodgrass should have been better than Pilks or Bennett, they were League One wingers, he''s a good Championship player. We seemingly failed to sign a permanent striker, for whatever reasons. Turner could have easily been a lot better. Our new RB is injured. Our new LB didn''t get pre-season with us.

I would have said our transfers this summer at the time, were a lot more encouraging than last season. A Liverpool reserve defender, a permanently crocked striker, half decent Milwall striker, couple of League One wingers, Spurs FB on loan. Leeds midfielder on a free.

Compared to, two premiership CBs, a LB with Premiership and Italian top division experience, international, CL experienced RB. Highly rated youngster on loan from Spurs, Leeds best player, Norwegian international.

I think all of the players we signed this summer are good enough for our team. I just don''t think we are playing to our potential yet, but i''m sure the luck will come and Hughton will have the players fired up and ready to beat Arsenal, or Villa, or Reading or Stoke. One win from those four would help, two would be fantastic.

GINGERPELE I agree Fulham was an off day, new team an manager and all that granted, still a bit odd though that we conceded five.

Newcastle game we never looked like scoring apart from a few chances here n there, and we need more than one or two chances a game, because we are not one of the top teams.

west ham, maybe we could of snatched a winner but overall a dire performance from both teams, no one deserved to win that one.

Liverpool and Chelsea, never gave it a go at all, looked like a completely diff team to last season. absolutely shocking.

Tottenham, yer looked very good should of won,

Overall shocking football being played bar tottenham.

All this about being unlucky is garbage, maybe watch the games from last season then get back to me, it was so refreshing to watch, this year complete opposite

Tottenham was the only game where we looked like the same team from last year.

The football that is being played is awful, we have had more than enough games to show what we can do, and that is nothing.

Injuries and suspensions absolute garbage, hughton has not got long, cannot see how this will change.

[quote user="im spartacus"]

they may be poor ability wise but if we showed the commitment and pride they have in defending we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now OTBC

[/quote]We probably would as you won''t score any goals when your sole intent is defending.Instead of having scored 5 and conceded 17, we''d have scored 0 and conceded almost as many.

We has something like 20 shots against West Ham. In the last 15 mins we should, not could, but should have scored 2 or 3.

I really don''t understand people like you, have a looks at your username, you seem anything but that.

We were trying to pass it in or at best shoot in their area, you are allowed to shoot any where on the pitch. If we had more shots at distance a higher score line for us.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We has something like 20 shots against West Ham. In the last 15 mins we should, not could, but should have scored 2 or 3.

I really don''t understand people like you, have a looks at your username, you seem anything but that.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you say one of the best posters on this board mate, but I just dont get how you think we have been unlucky so far this season, only chance I saw in the west ham was kanes one in the last 15.

Anyway I''m fully behing Hughton

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="im spartacus"]

they may be poor ability wise but if we showed the commitment and pride they have in defending we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now OTBC

[/quote]

We probably would as you won''t score any goals when your sole intent is defending.

Instead of having scored 5 and conceded 17, we''d have scored 0 and conceded almost as many.

[/quote]

i''m not saying adopt theyre tactics , just there commitment to the cause attitude when we do defend .

I''m sorry. but you clearly weren''t watching the West Ham game then.

20 shots, 14 on target. And no, they were not all ''Bradley Johnson speculative rubbish'' as i''ve seen one or two posters on here suggest before.

Last 15 mins, Snodgrass should have scored. He got the ball in the box turned, and didn''t connect with the ball well enough. Kane had another good effort from outside the box.

And it isn''t just about the chances. Those four games, we were playing well enough to be creating chances, but the final shot was either poor, or the final ball wasn''t there (I can think of at least two occasions where Snodgrass beat his man, was inside the box and tried to pull it across to Jackson, who was in space, only for his pass to go straight to the defender. In my eyes both times he did that, we should have scored.). We''ve had plenty of shooting opportunities go astray, and plenty of final balls lack the cutting edge we had last season at times.

I noticed the 14 shots, did not know they were all on target though.

The ball fell behind snodgrass, it was not his fault, and kanes effort, well he created that on his own, but to say he should have scored along with snodgrasses effort is silly.

I just find the play very rigid and there is never enough players in the box,

The difference is we don''t look as though we will score this season,

Well, I watched the WH game and no way were there 14 quality shots on target from us or we would have scored. Many were indeed grass-cutting mishits from distance, Snodgrass and Johnson being the main culprits. Some people here are deluded by stats.