Sign in to follow this  
fleckfan

Darren Bent

The BBC reports that Lambert will sell Darren Bent in January. Any chance the board would splash the cash on him and would he come ?

Splash the cash?

I don''t think we could if we wanted to.

Didn''t he cost them £20 million?

He''s a goalscorer, i''m sure many of the top teams in this league would happily spend £10+ million on him. We don''t have that money.

If we did, i''d love him to come here. Scores goals.

But seriously, if we bought him, we''d probably have no money to spend at all next season.

Darren Bent coming here is as likely as |Harry Redknapp replacing Hughton in January and Paul Lambert confessing that he regrets leaving Carrow Road!

The fact that we were trying to sign CMS in the last window suggests that signing a players worth over £10M and who would demand immense wages is totally improbable if not impossible.

We aren''t a big enough club (yet?) to sign a player of his pedigree - lower your expectations to the reality.

I''ve always thought Bent to be a bit overrated and that some of the fees that have surrounded him to be inflated, but he does come up with the goods at all levels and I would just love him here.

His all-round contribution seems lacking and maybe this is the reason that he has not gone down too well with PL. Perhaps there is a personality clash and we are seeing Lambert''s first reaction to big egos. On the other hand, it could be his attempt at building the transfer fund that Randy promised him, but has not come up with.

Risky stuff, the player is loved at Villa Park.

The thought of him and Holt (with his work-rate) up front for us makes for a pleasant sunday afternoon though.  

The sad fact is that there are Championship clubs that would offer more for a player of his calibre.

Although, i don''t know his background, but he''s sure to have ties round here still, isn''t he?

So, if he does become available, and he''s the kind of player we need... Who knows?!

Would please our quiet neighbours! ;)

[quote user="fleckfan"]The BBC reports that Lambert will sell Darren Bent in January. Any chance the board would splash the cash on him and would he come ?[/quote]No chance.  Wages, transfer fee both too much plus I doubt villa would want to deal with us. Shame because when he''s not injured, he''s decent.I don''t think this will happen anyway, I think it''s Lambert telling Bent to "know his place".

I''d rather sign Sandra Redknapp... we all know she''s a better goal scorer than Darren Bent anyway...

[quote user="fleckfan"]The BBC reports that Lambert will sell Darren Bent in January. Any chance the board would splash the cash on him and would he come ?[/quote]

Why do you think Lambert is selling him? Is he lazy? Does he have a big ego? Or is it just that he is the main asset and Lambert needs to raise money to strengthen the squad?

Considering Lambert''s dropped him for the majority of their recent fixtures i''d say it''s more than the need to raise cash, makes no sense to bench someone your trying to put in the shop window and get a decent fee for.

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[quote user="fleckfan"]The BBC reports that Lambert will sell Darren Bent in January. Any chance the board would splash the cash on him and would he come ?[/quote]

Why do you think Lambert is selling him? Is he lazy? Does he have a big ego? Or is it just that he is the main asset and Lambert needs to raise money to strengthen the squad?

[/quote]

I said a couple of weeks back that I thought Lambert could be trying to generate funds in January. [A]

Again... if your trying to put a player in the shop window why bench him? If I was going to flog a player i''d want him out on the pitch as much as possible banging in goals adding to his price for every goal he scores.

As he''s been coming off the bench to score I can''t see that that''s a problem, especially as when he started he wasn''t scoring.

Is Lambert trying to get them relegated? I can''t see them staying up without his goals.

[quote user="JF"]Is Lambert trying to get them relegated? I can''t see them staying up without his goals.[/quote]

He''s probably got Holt lined up in the transfer window. [;)]

I thought it quite funny when the guy on the radio today said that he will probably go to QPR as they always seem to buy the old and expensive has-beens.  [:D]

Some very differing opinions here of Lambert''s treatment of Bent.My gut feeling is if he leaves under a bad cloud then Villa are in trouble.http://www.avillafan.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9568

[quote user="osborne 1-0"]Have you not had a bent striker before???[/quote]

..none as bent as Michael ''nine-bob note'' Chopra.