Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Who will stay with us if we go down?

During the summer and before we had a few topics on here mulling over who we thought would handle the step up to the premiership best.

This is really depressing but now i''m wondering who will still be with us when/if we go down.

Here are my categories and what i think will happen to some of our players if the worst happens.

SHOULD STAY: Ashton, Leon, Jarvis, Henderson, Crow, Jonson, Safri, Holt, Hucks, Eddie, Fleming, Drury, Doherty, Charlton, Shackell, Fleming, Ward, Gallacher, Lewis

WILL GET A BIG PREM MOVE: Green, Francis

WILL LEAVE/MOVE ON BY MUTUAL CONSENT: Helveg, McVeigh, Svensson, Brennan, Mulryne

NOT SURES! If Ashton turns in perfromances like last night for the rest of the season, he could yet get poached on the way down by any number of the clubs we beat to his signature.
Brennan i would like to see stay but i find it hard to believe he will sit behind Drury and now Charlton in the pecking order for a THIRD season.
Mulryne could stay if he realises that a move to another div 1 club would be no better for him and that he hasn''t done enought to attract another premiership club.
If you''ve seen Francis'' website you''ll know he''s in to self promotion and not short of confidence in himself. He feels he belongs in the prem and will want to stay there. He has already given a lot but has so much more and i fear we won''t see much more of him. The last ncfc player to have their own site like damo''s? One Craig Bellamy. He and greeno could net us up to 6 or 7 million though. I''d like to see us go back in for Kris Commons as a replacement.

I think you''re pretty much spot on a1.  There is a chance I suppose that a promoted club will take a look at Charlie or the Doc.  We also really need to keep Deano if we go down.  That''s vital.  IF we did  go down a team like this would be damn handy in the 1st Div:

Gallagher

Eddy  Doc  Charlie  Drury

NEW  Saf  Holt  Hucks

Deano Leon

I''d like us to get a new right sided midfielder if Jonson went.  Maybe another centre mid too

then won''t we back to square one, if we go down then why keep players who showed they weren''t premier quality because when we go up then we''ll need to replace them again.

if you follow

[quote]I think you''re pretty much spot on a1. There is a chance I suppose that a promoted club will take a look at Charlie or the Doc. We also really need to keep Deano if we go down. That''s vital. IF we...[/quote]

I see you''re sticking with Holt DD, to me he''s been half the reason (Fleming as well) why we''re in this mess!.

Holding onto Ashton, is also going to be difficult I fear.

"Holding onto Ashton, is also going to be difficult I fear."

CJS!!

I was led to believe that Ashton was not a short term fix and that he was a signing for the future?? Well what kind of futurer plans did they have at Norwich if they are willing to let a player who we signed whilst in the relegation places, on the basis of building a future, leave the club in the event of relegation??

IMO, the most crucial asset we must hold on to is Worthy!! Without him we would be nowhere, and I should think in the event of a premieship managerial vacancy there would be alot of interest in Nige!!

If we go down I would want to see us obtain a new central defender and 2 new midfielders - I agree with our old sea dog (RIP 1st Wiz) that Holt, like Flem and others simply are not good enough for the prem and that is where we need to aim.

I would like to build for the future and while I love Charlie I would like to develop the partnership of Doc and Shacks, young, strong, with height and pace to see whether they can be our future.

A central midfield of Safri and Holt may be ok for the fizzy pop but really is not mobile enough for the prem.

One bonus is that if the defence continues to play like it is Greenos confidence will be so far gone there is a risk that no one will come in for him in the summer and we get to keep him!

As far as Ashton is concerned he is a talent but he is ambitious and I have no douobts he will activate his release clause if the opportunity arose...

OTBC

i believe our team next season will be

ward

eddy shacks doc drury

bentley* safri francis Hucks

Ashton Leon

Greeno wil be going in the summer i have no doubt about that althogh i think that bentley may be a part of that deal if not we are gonna have to buy someone like mahon from wigan he out of favour at the moment. Damo will stay we dont need the money and who would want him which wouldnt be a sideways step same with ashton.

Keeping dean ashton is the most important thing we need to do if we go down this season. I cant realistically see him going bearing in mind the club had to fork out three million quid that we dont really have, also the fact that he would seem like the most disloyal player ever and no other prem club would want him anyway. If he jumps ship a few months after joining the club because they go down, why would any bigger club want him anyway?

I agree that we have to strengthen the defence because that is where we are really being let down at the moment. Our strikeres and midfield can actually look quite dangerous when they want to but we just keep leaking careless goals at the back, most of which seem to be free headers in the box. The teams suggested above would certainly compete in the first div. I could really see us having som,e success and im glad that the majority of our team should stay next season if we go down.

Lastly, last night against man city was poor. I was so dissapointed with the way the team''s heads dropped the moment they conceded. At two-one up it was inevitable that we were going to lose. Ashton had a great game but that was where it ended. Their first goal was a shambles with the entire defence literally watching man city queue up for the header. we played so well in the first 15 minutes and i just couldnt believe the turn around after they scored. We need some guts and committment and most importantly, concentration. If we cant do this at this stage in the season then we dont deserve to be in the premiership.

it just means now that we will have to beat chelsea on staurday....should be easy.

Ward

Eddy // NEW DEFENDER // NEW DEFENDER // Charlton

Jonson // NEW MIDFIELDER // NEW MIDFIELDER // Hux

Deano // Leon

Because Doherty and Flem aren''t good enough, Shackell''s still too young and playing Safri and Holt as our two central midfielders would be like playing 6-6-2.

Truth is, we need at least four or five quality signings that would be able to make the step back up to the Premiership and sadly, there are few of them around at the minute.

already said it in another thread but I feel relegated or not our defence will be almost totally new and built around Shackell.

No point in playing with defenders who are clearly not good enough for the prem in the championship and then if promoted turn around and rebuild the defence.

Give them the chance to play together in the championship and gain oganisational experience (which we have lacked rather than speed).

I think this year we can be positive as its been a good learn experience for the club plus the extra cash it brings in helps us build for the future.

We tried to run before we could walk, no shame in that, the players gave it their best shot but as they say the table doesn`t lie.

I think we can come back stronger and much better prepared both finacially and skill wise ala Charlton.

sod the players we need a defensive coach.

How many times have you seen 3 or more yellow shirts diving towards one opposition player?  Every match. 

Why can someone not tell them to mark a man each, its bloomin basics we need.

Flemming out.  Eddy has been part of relegated teams 3 times, oh my god I wonder why.  Drury good game, bad game, leaves wingers too much room.

The only hope we have is the young Doc and the young Shackell who will hopefully both improve with playing time together.   If Helveg stayed for one more season, which I doubt, then we might have a decent back four along with Charlton who has been the best defender all season.

Midfielders, Holt needs to go and hopefully we will hang onto Bents.   Francis will probably go, but if we keep the rest they will be good enough for championship and then we will only a couple of signings for next season.

Attack, we must keep Ashton.  McKenzie maybe could be okay back the championship, but not for the prem.  Svensson shame if he goes but looks likely.  Maybe Jarvis and Crow will come of age for us next season.

I agree with the earlier post that we should build a team that''s almost ready to go when we return to the Premiership in 2006. 

Greeno/Ward (if RG sold)

NEW  NEW(Gabidon?) Shackell  NEW

NEW/Bentley NEW(a leader!) Francis Hux

Ashton  Leon.

Let''s rebuild at the back and get some power and craft in midfield. Most of all, let''s not make the same mistake as this year and buy a number of mediocre players.   

sell green (dont want to but bentley part ex rest of money another cb)

ward/gallagher

eddy shack NEW charlton

bentley safri francis(if sold buy new) hucks

ashton leon

if we could afford to add players all well and good but i dont think it would be a bad side for the championship.

+ if sorry when we return in 06 we could add 2/3 more players in areas where we do need it.ie cover for the defence and centre midfield.

also ryun jarvis havnt seen much of him as i dont go to reserve games but he has looked pretty usefull to me from what ive seen.

I think Francis could go to somewhere like Charlton or Bolton but def can''t see Deano move so quickly. He may be ambitious but he is also young with a good head on his shoulders and he will know that it will only make him a better player if he stays with us for 2 or 3 years rather than go and rot on the bench at Spuds or somewhere else in the prem. As for the rest I think Helveg may be around for 1 more year and Jonson may well move on. Holt also needs to be replaced with a younger model and even though I would like to see Fleming replaced it ain''t gonna happen and Edworthy is not consistently good enough imo and therefore should go. Mulryne should def be shown the door and Mcveigh may be worth keeping if we go down. On the incoming side I would expect Worthy to be given around 3 million to spend plus any money he raises from sales and with that money he should be looking to bring in another centre back and at least 1 midfielder who is capable of playing a killer pass and maybe another right back. If we somehow survie then I would expect Worthy to be given at least 8 million to spend and then it becomes a whole new ball game.