Sign in to follow this  

I really hope he plays tomorrow!! Put him in for Howson, who has been underperforming (possibly because he is being played far too deep). Foxy is an exquisite ball player and has the ability to control the tempo of the game with his range of passing.

Lets just cross our fingers and hope Hughton recognises what a player he really is!!

Or play Howson off Holt and let him cause as much offensive damage as he is capable of.

Hughton''s employment of Howson as a defensive midfielder is one of his most confusing and frustrating strategies for me. 

It''s certainly not why PL bought him.

Howson is not playing as a defensive midfielder.

He is playing as a central midfielder, the position he played in all bar 45 of his appearances last season for us. He might not be getting forward as much, but he''s not playing as a defensive midfielder.

I don''t even think he got forward that much last season. And the game he played a half playing off Holt, he didn''t touch the ball for half an hour, then scored and looked better. And second half moved back to CM and looked very good. He''s a box to box midfielder.

What Hughton really needs to do is allow Johnson and Howson to get stuck in, rather than stand off players then maybe we''d win the ball a bit more. Also needs to tell Howson to go forward more than Johnson.

Actually thought Howson had his best games for Norwich as a deep lying playmaker. He was awesome particularly at Arsenal picking the ball up off the back four and distributing quickly to others. It is noticeabe that when Howson signed David Fox played a lot less. That tells you a lot about what Lambert bought him to do.

Howson is a waste of space. If he starts, we, the REAL fans who go to games should take up oir pitchforks an burning torches and chase him to the old ruined windmill on the hill.

El Asesino: Absolutely agree about hoping Fox plays, as I think he''s a class act. And rest assured, Hughton knows what a player he is. He recently offered him a new deal and has taken great care and interest in his recuperation.

N city till I die: There is no point me arguing against the whole Hughton negative thing with you. You have clearly made up your mind and won''t be moved... ever... on the subject, regardless of the mounds of evidence to the contrary. However, are you suggesting that any good result we get in the future (starting tomorrow against Arsenal) will be because the players ignored Hughton''s instructions? Are you insane?

Cantiaci: First, Howson hasn''t been playing as an out and out defensive midfielder- he is a central midfielder and he gets forward frequently. Secondly, I''d agree that he is best deployed in a more overall offensive role, but Hughton''s hands have been tied with injuries. Look at the facts:- Pilkington, Hoolahan, Fox, Bennett, Butterfield, Lappin, Snodgrass and Tettey all injured or lacking fitness, some after, but mainly since before the season began. These are just the midfield casualties (including wingers). Therefore, Hughton has lacked the ability to chop and change for either tactical reasons or form.

Just my opinion, of course.

We have badly missed the accuracy of Fox''s set pieces. Snodgrass & Surman have been totally ineffective at corners and long free kicks - not one from those two this season has created even a half chance. Johnson has been ok causing some havoc without resulting in goals. Elliott Bennett had the one game against Chelsea but lacked the "direction" to take it away from the opposition. Fox is our premier exponent from deadball situations and needs to be included in the team. Howson has been employed at the base of the midfield where Fox usually plays. Under Hughton, when Howson & Johnson are played together Howson plays the deeper role - perhaps due to superior passing skills ? allowing Johnson to win the ball further up the pitch. My opinion is Johnson has out performed Howson by quite a considerable margin this season. Fox does play the base better than Howson through his superior passing, the flow of the passing within the team is more seamless & he is hardly ever caught on the ball unlike Howson who is undone because he has the instinct to dribble past players. Lambert built the team recruiting players with different skills. He had a different battle plan for every opponent using different players for each plan (horses for courses). Hughton has inherited these players and is now trying to build a jigsaw with them. At this point hes forcing the wrong shape pegs into the wrong shape holes. The "romantic" would prefer seeing "fancy" players that can run & shoot (like Howson) on the pitch - the "realist" know that the end of the day you need to play people that will bring the team positive results - and if it meant playing the "ugly ducklings" of football (Fox) then so be it.

Agree, need fox to sit in front of back four and break up their play and pick a pass, we have no one else who can do it at the moment, if Fox doesnt play i just see Arsenal picking us off with defense splitting passes, we will see!

If we intend to match Arsenal (who teach their u-10''s to switch the ball around the back 5 before prising an opening – its engrained behaviour at all levels at that club) we would benefit from having Fox in our first team and on top form today. We need to retain a higher level of possession and to be more incisive in the final third.

Easy said – which players does Hughton have fit I wonder?

My view is still the same with fox. He has good distribution, but I do not think his positioning, strength, tracking is up to the premier league level.

When fox has the ball he is an accurate passer and controls a tempo of moving the ball from flank to flank trying to stretch an opposing defence so he can put that killer ball to the open man. But I barely see that part happen, I certainly feel when he is without the ball he is not one of our strongest midfielders.

I watched the cup game when tettey and fox played and fox was always five yards away from the centre circle tettey covered more ground. Pressed higher up the defence covered positions when the full back or winger was out of position due to an attack.

For me a tettey Howson midfield would be great with Howson playing the more advanced role of the two when the opportunity rises, I would like to see butter field get that run out today too.

But fox for me is a player we signed for one year to see if he drives himself back in the managers plans and I for one agree he has room to improve if he wants to be a starter

[quote user="Militant Canary"]El Asesino: Absolutely agree about hoping Fox plays, as I think he''s a class act. And rest assured, Hughton knows what a player he is. He recently offered him a new deal and has taken great care and interest in his recuperation.

N city till I die: There is no point me arguing against the whole Hughton negative thing with you. You have clearly made up your mind and won''t be moved... ever... on the subject, regardless of the mounds of evidence to the contrary. However, are you suggesting that any good result we get in the future (starting tomorrow against Arsenal) will be because the players ignored Hughton''s instructions? Are you insane?

Cantiaci: First, Howson hasn''t been playing as an out and out defensive midfielder- he is a central midfielder and he gets forward frequently. Secondly, I''d agree that he is best deployed in a more overall offensive role, but Hughton''s hands have been tied with injuries. Look at the facts:- Pilkington, Hoolahan, Fox, Bennett, Butterfield, Lappin, Snodgrass and Tettey all injured or lacking fitness, some after, but mainly since before the season began. These are just the midfield casualties (including wingers). Therefore, Hughton has lacked the ability to chop and change for either tactical reasons or form.

Just my opinion, of course.[/quote]

I don''t know what goes on in the dressing room, hopefully hughton is clueless and he loses the dressing room then he will be out the door, with a new attacking manager at the helm.

Listen, that was what I was thinking earlier, but tbh I was just pissed off, I''m really up for the game today and I''m fully behind Hughton, I just hope the players go for it, last year there was a real buzz about how Norwich played, edge of your seat stuff most of the time,

this year is far from that, surely you agree?

If Hughton was clueless, would he have won the Championship title with Newcastle United, had them in a safe position when sacked, and would he have got a cash-strapped Birmingham side into the playoffs?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Turner versus Podolski.What was it C3PO said?Oh, that''s it.  "We''re doomed."[/quote]Rumour is that Turner is playing, and Podolski is out injured.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If Hughton was clueless, would he have won the Championship title with Newcastle United, had them in a safe position when sacked, and would he have got a cash-strapped Birmingham side into the playoffs?[/quote]

Chops, he had a very strong squad with newcastle in the champ. was not that hard to do.

Fairplay about Birmingham though.

All I will say is that I expect some better play and some changes in how we play today.

The football really has been awful this season.

Chops, time is running out for him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]In fact he probably even picked the teams.

Told both managers they''re useless and he''s taking over.[/quote][:D]If his team is correct, other than Turner, I am pretty happy with it.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Arsenal v Turner, this is gonna be painful[:''(][/quote]

We may get a pleasant surprise though.

It''s make for break for Turner as far as his Norwich City career goes, I feel.

A bit risky by the Hoots nevertheless.

Early on you can see why people are worried about Turner.

Poor kick from Ruddy, but Turner just left Podolski in space. Good tackle from Martin to prevent a very good chance.