Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Chucking bananas in the 70s

Serious discussion question.I was reading the comments on Yahoo about this Kick campaign.  One poster claimed that watching City Vs WHam  Clyde Best was given abuse which probably happened as I remember monkey noises etc etc. However I don''t remember his other claim that he had bananas chucked at him.  So did we as City fans do that in the 70s and can people recall it?

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]Serious discussion question.

I was reading the comments on Yahoo about this Kick campaign.  One poster claimed that watching City Vs WHam  Clyde Best was given abuse which probably happened as I remember monkey noises etc etc. However I don''t remember his other claim that he had bananas chucked at him. 
So did we as City fans do that in the 70s and can people recall it?
[/quote]

Sadly yes, a different age and morals.

Mark Walters debut (as the first black player for Rangers) in the January 1988 Glasgow derby was marred by banana throwing as this commentator recalls....

“Well the game was slightly held up while some assortment of fruit was removed from the pitch. You can see it there, just in front of The Jungle.”

"Sadly yes, a different age and morals"

So what game was that then, where were you standing when you saw that and where were they thrown from ?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]Serious discussion question.

I was reading the comments on Yahoo about this Kick campaign.  One poster claimed that watching City Vs WHam  Clyde Best was given abuse ......... However I don''t remember his other claim that he had bananas chucked at him
So did we as City fans do that in the 70s and can people recall it?
[/quote]

Sadly yes, a different age and morals.

[/quote]

That is a very serious allegation, so can you now tell us where you were watching the game and where were the banana(s) thrown from.

Not some ''similar'' acts of racism, but this specific one you claimed to have happened at a City v West Ham game

I can remember John Chiedozie of Leyton Orient getting the chants in 1977 when they knocked us out of the F A Cup. It was my Mums one and only game, as she said she would never go again, after hearing all that.

Don''t remember it at Carrow Road (and I was in the Barclay for that Orient game) and didn''t go away much in the 70s. I attended Sheffield Wednesday v Luton at Hillsborough in 81/2, stood on the Spion Kop, Monkey chanting was constant and the area behind and around the goal was littered with bananas thrown at Ricky Hill and Brian Stein. Only time I''ve ever been pleased that Luton won a game.

IMO if Ricky hill had been white he would have played for a bigger club, and for England many times.

The worst racial chanting I can remember at Carrow Road was West Ham fans many moons ago and it wasn''t directed at black people. It was sung to the tune of "Singing the Blues" and went like this:-Never felt more like gassing the Jews When West Ham win and Tottenham loseOh West Ham, you got me gassing the JewsAnd it got even more unpleasant when they ended it with a loud hissing sound like escaping gas. It was very very nasty and IMO worse than any banana throwing incident. Does anyone else remember this?

This is all way, way behind my time, so it''s absolutely crazy to me when i hear some of this!I always think `people couldn''t possibly have joined in with such chants`. I look around me at Carrow Road and there''s plenty of people who would have been around back then - probably not racist and probably not extreme - but probably joined in with the chants back then. Was it a significant minority or was there a much larger percentage? It''s hard to imagine when you go to football now - and it does make it seem ridiculous that we''re trying to stop fans from swearing etc considering what used to go on.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

It certainly wasn''t just a few isolated individuals - usually a full on Barclay chorus.

[/quote]Yes Mungo I can clearly remember the chant ''you b....k bas***d'' echoing around the Barclay along with the ''zigger, zagger zigger'' chant and it wasn''t an isolated minority either.  About the same time as ''Love Thy neighbour'' was on the TV.

There was also that ''delightful'' little ditty

''Jump up turn around

kick a Pakistani

jump up turn around

kick him in the head

all skinheads kick a Pakistani

all skinheads kick him in the head :

that was from the early 70''s when this was regularly heard (and loved) in the Barclay before games -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAcG24iI_w&feature=related

as to how far people have changed, then those at Gt Yarmouth last month enjoying this might give you a clue-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NnvUjozzQM

I mya be extremely wide of the mark but didn''t the City fans racially abusean Everton player in the early nineties? Like I said, I may be making this up out of nothing, it just rings a bell.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]I mya be extremely wide of the mark but didn''t the City fans racially abusean Everton player in the early nineties? Like I said, I may be making this up out of nothing, it just rings a bell.[/quote]I think it was later than that. I recall them accusing us of racial abuse, I think it was a cup game at theirs.Obviously I also only remember it vaguely, and I don''t think there was actually anything in it, or proven.

We were singing "You fat b***ard" at Rooney, the bin dippers interpreted this as being "You black bast***" at Joseph Yobo.

Way off the mark and complete fabrication. I''m pretty sure they were the two players anyway..

I don''t know if it''s time playing tricks with me but I remember a slightly different version to that City 1st,Up down turn around kick a Pakistani

Up down turn around kick him in the head

Up down turn around kick a Pakistani

Kick that b*stard ''til he''s dead

A couple not already mentioned that come to mind are:

(To the music for the Banana Splits Show)

One Paki two Paki''s three Paki''s four,

Four Paki''s laying dead on the floor,

Kick ''em in the head,

Shoot ''em with a gun,

I''m going Paki bashing you can come along

Tra la la. la la la la etc

(To Brown Girl in the Ring by Bony M)

There''s a ni**er in the Stand

Tra la la la la

(and kept repeating)

These were sung frequently in the Barclay back in the late 70''s early 80''s, I''m not saying they were right to be sung but people looked at things differently now (especially at Football Matches) I too can remember the monkey chants etc but can''t ever remember seeing bananas being thrown by Norwich Fans, coins, lighters and bottles of p*ss, now they are a different story.

I didn''t see it at Norwich but I remember seeing it at HighfieldRoad Coventry about 78 when Fashanu was playing for us. It was very much a 60s and 70s thing as black players were common by the 80s though monkey noises carried on for many more years. It even reached the nonsense of fans abusing other teams'' black players when they had black players of their own.

Actually, this is why so many older fans like me are so outraged by the Balechimp comments. When you''ve lived through people being abused for their colour and subjected to monkey noises, there is nothing funny or clever about abusing a white man with vaguely simian looks!

I also don''t remember bananas but for me the vile chanting was worse (bananas may or may not have been chucked by a few, large numbers joined in with hideous, threatening chanting: the aforementioned trigger chant) . Shameful times.

Horrendous, ignorant people and times.  Thankfully mostly gone, ut the ape-herd mentaility is still there and if it was allowed it would happen in the Barclay every week.Evolution hasn''t eradicated pig-ignorance.