Sign in to follow this  
dpit

What will Lambert target as our weaknesses?

Second guessing time. Lambert will be seeking to use his knowledge of (most) of our players in order to target what he perceives to be our weaknesses. What do you think he will be focusing on and how can we counteract this?

Disclaimer: this is not a ''negative post''

[quote user="dpit"]Second guessing time. Lambert will be seeking to use his knowledge of (most) of our players in order to target what he perceives to be our weaknesses. What do you think he will be focusing on and how can we counteract this?

Disclaimer: this is not a ''negative post''[/quote]Marking Hoolahan out of the game would be a good start. Encouraging defenders to fall over if Holt is anywhere near them is another.

By starting our new signings.
Tettey was class I reckon, he likes to punch in a shot from range.
He might try and take our left side for being a bit weaker, but Garrido should be fine. Pilkington sured up the left side a treat.
Snodgrass... I think I''d put him back out for a start...
The thing is, I wouldn''t want to change the team up to much from yesterday!

Lambert is imo not a great tactician.   His strength lies in motivating his troops and if he gets them competing they will give us  a hard game.   I don''t think he will be too bothered about our weaknesses from what he knows from last season - the team has changed quite a bit since he left.    Our  main weakness this season has been giving the ball away cheaply and putting ourselves under pressure - he will want  his players to pounce on any mistakes we make - but that is his main tactic anyway.

Its up to the team to perform at the top of their game again and not give AV a sniff.   If we frustrate them the crowd will soon get restless and it should play into our hands.  

[quote user="morty"][quote user="dpit"]Second guessing time. Lambert will be seeking to use his knowledge of (most) of our players in order to target what he perceives to be our weaknesses. What do you think he will be focusing on and how can we counteract this? Disclaimer: this is not a ''negative post''[/quote]

Marking Hoolahan out of the game would be a good start. Encouraging defenders to fall over if Holt is anywhere near them is another.
[/quote]

If we don''t play the diamond he won''t be concerned about Wes. He can''t play any other role...

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lambert is imo not a great tactician.   His strength lies in motivating his troops and if he gets them competing they will give us  a hard game.   I don''t think he will be too bothered about our weaknesses from what he knows from last season - the team has changed quite a bit since he left.    Our  main weakness this season has been giving the ball away cheaply and putting ourselves under pressure - he will want  his players to pounce on any mistakes we make - but that is his main tactic anyway.

Its up to the team to perform at the top of their game again and not give AV a sniff.   If we frustrate them the crowd will soon get restless and it should play into our hands.  

[/quote]
Have to disagree LDC. Lambert is an exceedingly gifted tactician. In his three years at Norwich he attempted how many different formations? Even ones that weren''t popular in England, 4-3-1-2, 3-5-2. Lambert''s knowledge of formations and his ability to find a way to fit players into that formation was one of his greatest strengths.
You also have to look at his way of playing the game. We out passed some teams, were direct against others. We pressed high against Swansea (home and away) and sat deep against Man Utd. 
Lambert is probably one of the best tacticians in the premier league, I can''t think of many better. Moyes maybe? Martinez perhaps. Hughton is a good coach, he''s shown that already, he may only use one or two formations but he expects his players to perfect his style of play within that formation. 
Here''s some quotes from Michael Cox, a tactics expert.
"Chris Hughton, similarly, favours a more consistent approach than predecessor Paul Lambert, a serial formation switcher."
"Paul Lambert’s constant successful formation switches at Norwich probably make him a better candidate for his title... always changing his strategy to suit the demands of the particular opponent"
Paul Lambert was one of the finest (if not THE finest) tactician Norwich has ever seen. I think Hughton will be a success at Norwich, I think we''ll progress under him in a way that might not have been possible under Lambert. I think this is all a bit too revisionist for me. Lambert may have left in acrimony and i think he''s a bit of a tw@t but I can''t ignore that when it came to tactics and strategy Lambert was utterly, utterly fantastic.

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="lake district canary"]Lambert is imo not a great tactician.   His strength lies in motivating his troops and if he gets them competing they will give us  a hard game.   I don''t think he will be too bothered about our weaknesses from what he knows from last season - the team has changed quite a bit since he left.    Our  main weakness this season has been giving the ball away cheaply and putting ourselves under pressure - he will want  his players to pounce on any mistakes we make - but that is his main tactic anyway. Its up to the team to perform at the top of their game again and not give AV a sniff.   If we frustrate them the crowd will soon get restless and it should play into our hands.   [/quote]
Have to disagree LDC. Lambert is an exceedingly gifted tactician. In his three years at Norwich he attempted how many different formations? Even ones that weren''t popular in England, 4-3-1-2, 3-5-2. Lambert''s knowledge of formations and his ability to find a way to fit players into that formation was one of his greatest strengths.  You also have to look at his way of playing the game. We out passed some teams, were direct against others. We pressed high against Swansea (home and away) and sat deep against Man Utd. Lambert is probably one of the best tacticians in the premier league, I can''t think of many better. Moyes maybe? Martinez perhaps. Hughton is a good coach, he''s shown that already, he may only use one or two formations but he expects his players to perfect his style of play within that formation.  Here''s some quotes from Michael Cox, a tactics expert.   "Chris Hughton, similarly, favours a more consistent approach than predecessor Paul Lambert, a serial formation switcher." 
"Paul Lambert’s constant successful formation switches at Norwich probably make him a better candidate for his title... always changing his strategy to suit the demands of the particular opponent"  Paul Lambert was one of the finest (if not THE finest) tactician Norwich has ever seen. I think Hughton will be a success at Norwich, I think we''ll progress under him in a way that might not have been possible under Lambert. I think this is all a bit too revisionist for me. Lambert may have left in acrimony and i think he''s a bit of a tw@t but I can''t ignore that when it came to tactics and strategy Lambert was utterly, utterly fantastic.
[/quote] 

Throughout his time at Norwich - which was brilliant - it always struck me that it was the motivation and belief that got us through and winning games. Belief can get you along way.   Tactics and team selection?    I  can understand what you are saying,  but  there were occasions where because of poor tactics/team selection - he had to make severe changes in a match to get something out of the match.  So many games where I wished we had gone out with a more positive approach to start with.    So tactically I think he experimented alot,  sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn''t. That doesn''t make a great tactician to me.   The matches I went to last season, I never knew what team was going to be announced - but I trusted Lambert - he earnt it.    But it wasn''t foolproof.  

At AV I don''t think he has got the players to believe in him yet - it seems he is fighting a battle on that front - and the V fans don''t see any consistency or sense in the tactics he is employing.    If he gets the V players to believe in him - then - because of that he would do ok.    Tactically aware and prepared to try anything is one thing - but for me he hasn''t proved himself tactically.    The proof will be how he does as he progresses his career - which will be interesting to follow.     

As for Saturday, I hope he fails to motivate his players and is poor tactically!  [:)]

1. I don''t think that PL is as yet enough in control of the situation at Villa Park to be in a position to studiously consider his tactics with regards to us. He will likely resort to type. He took over a shambles and, according to Villa fan''s sites, things remain that way. He will have a word or two with Culverhouse no doubt but I can''t see that amounting to much.

2. The Lambert days were not the Halcyon days of tactical perfection that some now seem intent upon recalling. They were good at times, but abysmal at others. Grant Holt baled us out of a few dodgy situations too. Swansea away springs to mind, but that wasn''t all.  Where were the tactics there?

Team spirit not team tactics were Lambo''s strengths IMO. There was a degree of native cunning about his selections at times admittedly, but more importantly, he his, players and his staff achieved an empathy that was somewhat unique in a way.  He has yet to manufacture this at Villa Park, it would seem. The stand-off with Darren Bent will not help his cause and could be detrimental in a big way. 

We could well find out as much about Paul Lambert the manager in the forthcoming ninety minutes at Villa Park as we ever did  in his tenure at Carrow Road. As a single-minded enigma he had the Midas touch whilst in Norfolk. It remains to be seen whether this has now deserted him.

IMO he will do what he normally does, tell his players to avoid the wings while attacking, go down the middle, and try and loft the ball as far as they can from their own third, into their final third.

all in all, I can see a lot of hit and hope plays coming from villa

I''m with Gareth on this one, Lambert (Culverhouse?) was excellent tactically. It wasn''t just the motivation that brought us so many winners in the closing half an hour of games, it was frequently the (often multiple) substitutions made to telling effect, with enough time to affect the game. Contrast that with Hughton, who so far has generally favoured like-for-like substitutions, often much later in the game.

Leeds home in League 1, Stephen Hughes and C. Martin came on with about 20 minutes to go. Hughes went down the right wing and crossed for Martin to head in.

And as for this:

"2. The Lambert days were not the Halcyon days of tactical perfection that some now seem intent upon recalling. They were good at times, but abysmal at others. Grant Holt baled us out of a few dodgy situations too. Swansea away springs to mind, but that wasn''t all.  Where were the tactics there?"

I remember clearly from that game that E. Bennett was switched from wide right to through the middle at half-time, where he caused total havoc because Swansea hadn''t identified the change in formation, and laid on at least one of our goals straight after the break.

Lambert is a great manager who has inherited some absolute dross at Vile, but is now without the luxury of being in League 1 to get the pressure off him.

Our starting line up v Arsenal contained 4 players Lambert doesnt know.Of course he will know the rest inside out but they will also know his tactics which at the moment do not seem to be working with the Villa squad too well

He will hit us with the pace of Agbonlahor and Bent on the break with a supply of long through balls which we must be careful of, but hopefully we will be doing the same to them with Pilks and Bennett. No defence likes playing against pace.  

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Wiz"]He should worry more about what Hughton and his NEW team will do to him![/quote]

Changed your mind again eh?

[/quote]

No, thats my honest opinion..........deal with it.

"If we don''t play the diamond he won''t be concerned about Wes. He can''t play any other role..."What?  Did you watch the game on Saturday?  A diamond requires 2 attackers.  We had one on Saturday, with We behind, in a 4-4-1-1.So your statement is utter crap.

Agree Kelly, I think Wes has played well in another formation. I don''t think Hughton will change much. The wide players will be key again! I can still see a role for Snoddgrass coming of the bench for example. But for me...never change a winning team!

I think personally Agbonlohor will be the dangerman for them, his pace killed us at Villa Park last season.

This is one thing i''ll never fully understand.

Why people think teams get ''found out'' and this idea of Lambert knowing our weaknesses is part of that.

Don''t other teams have scouts, or even the coaches, and occasionally the managers that go and watch upcoming opponents? Probably/possibly even training as well.

Its like i''ve heard many people say Holt won''t do well this season because defenders will know what he''s like now. Well why didn''t they already know? And why didn''t they know the second time they played him?

If anything it was worse for our players because bar one or two, they hadn''t come up against Premiership opposition before (well a few of them might in cups, I don''t know, but not week in week out). Terry would know how to deal with Holt because he''d play like someone such as Kevin Davis. Its not as if we''d discovered some unique talent that know one had seen before. And watching him just wouldn''t do.

If ''getting found out'' is a real thing, and teams need to play against these players a couple of times to know how to deal with them. Then not a single fan has a clue about football because we don''t play with the players, so we don''t know anything about them.

And yes, Lambert has more knowledge of our team than all the other managers. But we have new players and new tactics. AVB knew most of that Chelsea team he faced a couple days ago, didn''t really help him.

If Villa beat us, its because they are the better team on the day, not because Lambert was our manager and has some kind of advantage (other than maybe a mental advantage) because of that.

What will be interesting is how our travelling fans act on the day (and it could also be decisive) if they go there with the sole aim of abusing PL I think PL & the Villa fans will thrive on that, it had a massive effect when we played Col U away, I sincerely hope our fans simply focus on supporting our manager & players rather than giving all the attention to our ex manager.

I won''t be abusing Lambert, he''s a manager, managers (and players) leave when you don''t expect them to, or to clubs you can''t understand, and often say things you don''t like to try and justify themselves to the media.

Even if he turns them around and they finish well above us, playing good football this season I still won''t fully understand why he wanted to leave us. Villa may have been a bigger club. But we have money to spend, we have the potential to be a mid table team. And I still rate Lambert as a better manager than Hughton (although of course am firmly behind Hughton, and i''m sure we''ll do well enough with him in charge) and think Lambert maybe, just maybe could have pushed us that little further. Although its getting harder and harder, you have the Manc 2, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs all going for top four, with Newcastle and Everton with an outside chance, Liverpool just behind then, and Sunderland with Fletcher and O''Neil could do very well.

Off topic but Sunderland? Really?

On paper they''ve got a half tidy side but they''ve been poor this season, Demba Ba is their 2nd highest goalscorer and he plays for their biggest rivals. Don''t quite understand how they look so toothless. In McLean & Johnson they have two quality wingers, Sessegnon (SP?) looks a shadow of the player he was last season, if Fletcher hadn''t been so clinical in front of goal they''d be really struggling.

They''ll finish behind the other teams i''ve mentioned, but ahead of the rest.

Martin O''Neil is a very good manager. They have a goal scorer now. They haven''t done brilliantly yet, but teams have slow starts. Everton do it quite a lot, last year included I think, they didn''t look great then suddenly they''re well up in the top half of the table.

Our achilles heal under Lambert was always genuine pace and one of the best examples of this was when we were run ragged by Agbonlahor last season at Villa Park. Because of this I would be amazed if lambert doesn''t play all of his quicker players (i.e. Bent, Agbonlahor and Nzogbia) and look to draw us in and hit us on the break. What will be interesting though is that this season we don;t commit as many men forward so it may not be easy for him to do that. For me Villa away was one of the ones where lambert got it wrong tactically last season which enabled them to exploit the gaps at the back.

I think I would start with exactly the same team although hopefully Pilks and Benno will be able to play a bit higher up the pitch as we should have more of the ball.

They''re probably just above the watershed but I too am surprised to see them struggling.

Maybe Martin should now go to Paul for advice?  ........  Perhaps not. 

I wonder if Lambert watched us against Arsenal and has now, perhaps, changed his plan?I would be extremely surprised if we didn''t use the same formation / players on Saturday.

My main worry is that Lambert really seems to be able to up his game for games against ''rivals''. Look at his results against the other promoted teams last season, 4 games - 4 wins. Also Norwich''s two results against Ipswich in the Championship (as well as Cardiff who were reagarded as fellow promotion candidates at the time). Even going back to League One the games everyone felt were ''mut win'' we generally won - especially the away game at Colchester, the last club to feel hard done by with Lambert.

Also, lest we forget, the result the last time a team managed by Paul Lambert came up against Norwich.

P.S. To say Lambert isn''t a good tactician is one of the most naive comments I have seen on this message board (which is quite some going).

Yes BYG. I have a niggling fear that Lambert will be ''in the heads'' of our players that were here under him. Our confidence will have been boosted by Saturday, of that there is no doubt, but there will be some vestiges of psychological frailty that PL will seek to exploit. AV do have pace and I am sure he will look to unleash a barnstorming start with their paciest players running at us. If we can get through the 1st 15 mins, I think we will be fine but an early goal for them could produce some Liverpool/Fulham type collywobbles.