Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Celebrity links (Tenuous or not!)

[quote user="Alex "]Jas - I was actually an employee of The Cure at one point - but no not Robert or Simon or Roger (though I obviously know them all), generally I only see them at Cure related events or weddings/funerals etc - my close friends within the band are Jason (drummer) and Perry (guitarist - Perry''s place has been taken by Reeves G - at the moment anyway). Jason''s coming round to mine on Saturday with his 2 kids so will pass your words on. I was at Reading Festival aswell as a guest, we were all sat up behind the speakers on the main stage, it was a very good performance. A wild night followed, though it wasn''t meant to as they were headlining Leeds the next night and had to get back to the hotel after a swift drink backstage. On an NCFC related note, I always wind Robert up about us, he''s obsessed with footie and is a QPR supporter - funnily enough we were playing them the next day after the Reading show which ended up 1-1 though I was telling him Holty was going to come bang into form that game, was slightly wrong but nevertheless always good to wind him up about how much better we are than QPR. Anyway, if I could figure out how to upload pics on here from my BlackBerry....[/quote]I knew Robert was a big QPR fan, also know he used to own a Lada car for years and he used to drive for weekends on the coast with Mary....as you can tell i''m a massive fan!

Haha Jas, I would say don''t believe everything you read on the internet but I think he used that motor (many years ago) as it wouldn''t draw attention to himself. He drives a black top of the range Range Rover with the obligatory blacked out windows now. Mary''s lovely but they do enjoy their privacy, and rightly so. Simon hates the fame game, and doesn''t do aftershow parties very well. Roger does aftershow parties very well haha, as does Jase. You maybe interested to know that Reeves G (ex long term David Bowie guitarist and guitarist for The Cure @ Reading) was drinking super strong potato whiskey whilst warming up 20 mins before going on stage, I could literally see the flames coming out of his hipflask - that stuff is rough! The American''s nickname for Reeves within the music industry is ''White Hendrix'' - and having seen him playing up close I can confirm it''s true, he really is on another planet, did things on a guitar I''ve never seen before - insane stuff!

I know Jon Tickle and his family and my sister went to school with Jake Humphrey from the beeb.

Depends what you mean by Celebs really? I used to help manage a property owned by Rachel Stevens, deal with a landlord who rented a properties to one or two Chelsea players around 8 years ago, such as Melchiot.

One chap I know in the states may well be on the way to celebrity status.

I''ve kissed Gaye Advert of the Adverts backstage at West Runton Pavillion while also meeting the Damned and the Adverts. Also got backstage with the Jam at West Runton.

My brother claims to have shagged Helen Shapiro while she was up here in a summer show in Gt Yarmouth.

My brother also met and got the Beatles'' autographs but his little brother (me) traced over them and fuc ked them up.

I also sat near Brian Rix whilst being entertained to Lunch at Lords.

I sold pest control to sprinter Leroy Burrell. I saw sprinter Carl Lewis at a video rental store. I had NHL 1st Round pick Darren Veitch''s textbook in a class in high school. He was a couple of years ahead of me, and his 2 brothers were in my grade (only because the older of the 2 was held back). Fellow 1st Round pick from that season, Mike Blaisdell was also at my high school.  I made deliveries to Zina Garrison (terrible tipper, but her hubby was generous), baseball players Roger Clemons and Jeff Bagwell, and Houston Oiler Bucky Richardson. I was at former CFL all time passing yards record holder Ron Lancaster''s house playing with his kids when he came home once.  How tenuous is that? 

People we have had in our shop;

John Hurt, Rick Wakeman, Julie Reinger, Kevin Friend (the ref!), Norman Lamb, the drummer out of Supergrass

I have played volleyball with the Gurkhas

Great band, the Cure!

I will henceforth be tarred as a spoilt brat but my 3 brothers and I were sent to posh schools in Norwich and Brentwood (and had no choice in the matter), so got to meet loads of toffs, but without too much bug#ering:

Julian Jarrold (part of the Jarrolds clan and now a TV and film director) was in my younger brother''s class.

Stuart Robson (Arsenal and England footballer) was in the year below me.

I played in the same school cricket team as Ian Pont, who briefly played for Essex but was outshone by his brother Keith (all-rounder for Essex in 70s and 80s). Had the most incredible throw, and could always throw to the top of the stumps from the boundary without doing that usual parabolic trajectory thingy.

Talking of cricket, my Dad played for Norwich Wanderers in the 70s, who also had David Pilch in their team (the one who owned Pilch''s sports shop in Norwich).

My eldest brother sat next to Douglas (Hitchhikers'' Guide) Adams at school. He also had Griff Rhys Jones in his class (not in the biblical sense) and Noel Edmonds was at school with him. My Dad went to school with Robin Day.

I was at UEA with Mark Seddon (journalist for Tribune) and Selena Scott.

My elder brother once played in the bath with Nicholas Parsons'' at a holiday hotel. Both were about 3 at the time.

My ex-next-door neighbour went to the same school in St Ives as John Ruddy. Claims he is a bit boring.

I once saw Barry Davies on a train after Norwich v Stoke in the 70s (Norwich lost 1-0).

Last season got a joint taxi from near the Ipswich ground after the 5-1 victory and one of the other occupants turned out to be Nick Robinson, that bug-eyed journalist on BBC News. He said he had a season ticket at Arsenal.

I remember my Dad once talking to Jeremy Thorpe one time in Norwich. Luckily, he didn''t do a ''Savile'' on me, though.