Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Set Pieces

Very poor today. Infuriating, surely they practice taking them? The odd poor one fair enough, but when it''s the majority of the time, it''s very poor.

It''s odd though, because Pilkington had some lovely set pieces (Corners especially) last season, and Garrido has a sweet foot when it comes to free kicks.

What''s going on?

Set pieces were ok. I think the reason so many were being overhit in the final 10 mins was due to the pressure they felt under to deliever a ball. Psychologically they were all over the place

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Set pieces were ok. I think the reason so many were being overhit in the final 10 mins was due to the pressure they felt under to deliever a ball. Psychologically they were all over the place[/quote]

Pressure - isn''t that what they are supposed to be able to deal with?  

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Set pieces were ok. I think the reason so many were being overhit in the final 10 mins was due to the pressure they felt under to deliever a ball. Psychologically they were all over the place[/quote]

Psychologically they should be full of desire to put a fine ball in - not fearful of messing it up. The boys would almost certainly benefit from from some professional mindset training.

We have plenty of tall players to aim at too - it''s such a shameful waste...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Psychologically they should be full of desire to put a fine ball in - not fearful of messing it up. The boys would almost certainly benefit from from some professional mindset training.

We have plenty of tall players to aim at too - it''s such a shameful waste...

[/quote]
I agree, but I think they were getting caught up in all the emotion. They''d just dragged themselves back from a 1 goal deficit and knew the game was there for the taking. They should have remained calm and continued with the play (and delivery) they had been using up until they scored. Watching on Sky I could hear Hughton screaming at them to keep the ball and stay calm but the players weren''t playing attention, they just seemed to panic knowing a win was available and shot themselves in the foot by not staying calm. Hughton will know doubt praise them for their attitude leading up to the goal but will be disappointed with how they seemed to lose their heads in that final 10 mins.

Well next summer we look at bringing in better players. The set piece delivery was not premiership standard today.

Elliott Bennett only puts good balls in when he is by the byline and drilling it low across the 6 yard area, anything otherwise is pretty poor in recent games.

But yes pilky wasn''t great either. Positives but plenty of areas where we can as a team improve and individually there are still many ways to improve. Set pieces have to be better when you have so much height in the team.

Entirely agree with Smooth. I thought the whole quality of the game was well below premiership standards. Villa were there for the taking but we were very poor. We barely made a decisive pass throughout the match and the crossing from the flanks plus the set pieces was awful. I have noticed this season in particular that we are tending to over hit corners etc. Don''t know why. This was a game when E.Bennet and Pilkington should have excelled but sadly they both made little impact.

[quote user="vos"]Entirely agree with Smooth. I thought the whole quality of the game was well below premiership standards. Villa were there for the taking but we were very poor. We barely made a decisive pass throughout the match and the crossing from the flanks plus the set pieces was awful. I have noticed this season in particular that we are tending to over hit corners etc. Don''t know why. This was a game when E.Bennet and Pilkington should have excelled but sadly they both made little impact.[/quote]

If only we''d had Lansbury![:(][Y]

It`s pressure, and being able to deal with it is easy to say but not so easy to do. On the practice ground they will hit those balls well at least 90% of the time, it`s not lack of practice, ability or something going wrong in training before anyone says it. We are in a bottom of the table dogfight, despite what some of the more deluded posters on here will say, and I`m afraid we can look forward to more of the same this season.

Top golfers are at the top because they can handle the pressure, football is a completely different game and a lot of the so called top players can not deal with it.

If the pressure is getting to them 9 games in to the season when we''re outside of the relegation zone, then we might as well throw in the towel now. How are they going to cope when there are 3 games left and we are 1 point clear of the drop?

I''d prefer to think it was lack of technique and/or practice to be honest!

I can see this coming round to a blame Chris Hughton thread for not working on crosses in training, either that or suddenly our players who have previously been good crossers of the ball all of a sudden do not concentrate or have poor technique, neither of which is the case.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Top golfers are at the top because they can handle the pressure, football is a completely different game and a lot of the so called top players can not deal with it.[/quote]

It''s not the pressure, but poor technique. If you practice your technique then you handle the pressure as it comes naturally.  For Prem footballers to have bad technique........... I despair!!!  [:@]