Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Serious doubts about Hughton!

I simply cannot understand the negative substitutions! 1-0 down and chasing the game what do you do: take off an injured Russell Martin, bring on Snodgrass and move Elliott Bennett to right back or bring on an extra centre back?Then, when 11 against 10 why take off Elliott Bennett even though he is having a really good game rather than taking off the extra centre back who is having a bit of a shocker (i.e. Turner) and really go for it?Massive opportunity missed for the win, they were there for the taking , we were the better team but we were hamstrung by a raft of unbelieveably negative changes when we should have ended the game with 3 up front looking for all 3 points. We are in serious trouble if we cant beat one of the worst teams in the league with an extra man.

Turner ha a good game except for Bentele''s goal and we were still attacking and creating chances. I also noticed how you chose to ignore Hughtons decision to take off Johnson (a defensive midfielder) for Morison (a striker) when we were on top. Is that not a positive substitution?

Stop trying to unfairly criticise the manager and enjoy a solid result

So you''d have moved an attacking right sided player to right back, and taken off today''s goalscorer before he scored the goal.I note you don''t mention taking off Johnson, a defensive midfielder, and bringing on Morison, a striker.  Not really negative, was it?Troll off, Frank.

I didn''t think they were that negative. He brought on Bennett as a like for like sub to cover an injury (ok, he''s more of a centre back but was playing as a right back).

Then he made a like for like sub E. Bennett for Snodgrass, and then he subbed one of our defensive midfielders for a striker. For me, the only very slight criticism of the subs or tactics today would be that possibly we could have got Morison on a bit sooner than the 70th minute mark, but I''m being very harsh there. Don''t think Hughton did a lot wrong today.

[quote user="Frank"]I simply cannot understand the negative substitutions! 1-0 down and chasing the game what do you do: take off an injured Russell Martin, bring on Snodgrass and move Elliott Bennett to right back or bring on an extra centre back?

Then, when 11 against 10 why take off Elliott Bennett even though he is having a really good game rather than taking off the extra centre back who is having a bit of a shocker (i.e. Turner) and really go for it?

Massive opportunity missed for the win, they were there for the taking , we were the better team but we were hamstrung by a raft of unbelieveably negative changes when we should have ended the game with 3 up front looking for all 3 points. We are in serious trouble if we cant beat one of the worst teams in the league with an extra man.
[/quote]

Well to be frank I thank the Lord Hughton is manager and not you.

So you think Turner had a good game then? I though he was awful throughout the game aside from his goal. It makes no sense to bring on a third centre back when 1-0 down. Bennett has played at right back on several occasions and done really well.Great that we finished the game with 2 strikers on the pitch but, with better substitutions we could have killed them off. We will not come up against a weaker team in the league this season but Hughton still took off a right back for a centre back and a pacey winger for a slower (arguably out-of-form) winger before bringing on a second striker for a midfielder when losing and playing against 10 men. That is tactically inept however you look at it!

I think he got everything just about right today, used the options he had well. It was a blow Martin got injured, this lessened his options of course..

[quote user="Frank"]So you think Turner had a good game then? I though he was awful throughout the game aside from his goal. It makes no sense to bring on a third centre back when 1-0 down. Bennett has played at right back on several occasions and done really well.Great that we finished the game with 2 strikers on the pitch but, with better substitutions we could have killed them off. We will not come up against a weaker team in the league this season but Hughton still took off a right back for a centre back and a pacey winger for a slower (arguably out-of-form) winger before bringing on a second striker for a midfielder when losing and playing against 10 men. That is tactically inept however you look at it![/quote] god you are a deluded idiot. Bennett played right back a position he played at Peterborough often. Turner did have a good game, his best moment being the last ditch tackle denying Benteke a guaranteed goal. I await with baited breath to hear what substitutions you would''ve made

I''ll rise to it.

We didn''t "bring on a 3rd centre back", we brought on a right back to replace the original injured right back. That the replacement right back is normally more comfortable at centre back is neither here nor there, it was a straight swap, not a negative move. He probably felt that we were creating enough going forward and didn''t want to change the attacking players around too much.

What other substitutions would have killed them off? The only thing that would have killed them off is a striker who can put the ball in the net - and unfortunately Hughton is working with his hands tied there as we don''t seem to have one!

Turner just made 1 mistake and he made up for that, think he had an ok game. I would have liked to seen Jackson on instead of Morrison as I think he has the pace to run at defenders and cause problems.But that''s just my view. I''m not criticising Hughton, I don''t think he was too negative with his subs.

Frank were you at the game? As I''m struggling to understand where the negativity has come from RE: turner? Both CB won everything in the air and only made the one very costly mistake.

Personally thought Hughton got it right today. Today we needed someone with pace and quality to come off the bench which we don''t have.

We would have lost with your awful tactical ''advice''

The problem was we couldn''t score past a resolute defence and excellent goalkeeper who should''ve been given man of the match

Turner made one defensive error which cost is but who lost possession easily in midfield? Do they get a proportion of blame or is it too easy to blame turner? It must''ve hurt to see him score today

I would have taken a point today regardless of what happened throughout the game so I''m content with the result

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I think he got everything just about right today, used the options he had well. It was a blow Martin got injured, this lessened his options of course..[/quote]

Good call Mark and their keeper saved them.

[quote user="ImDrunky"]Turner just made 1 mistake and he made up for that, think he had an ok game. I would have liked to seen Jackson on instead of Morrison as I think he has the pace to run at defenders and cause problems.

But that''s just my view. I''m not criticising Hughton, I don''t think he was too negative with his subs.

[/quote]

At that point in the game Villa were so deep there was no space to utilise Jackson''s pace, so Morison was the correct choice imo.

We should have won the game based on possession and chances, their keeper made some good saves to keep them in it, certainly nothing that we should be criticising Hughton about.  Villa looked a very poor side though, a team we definitely should be looking to stay in front of, especially as they have yet to play any of the big clubs yet and still only have 6 points.

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]Frank were you at the game? As I''m struggling to understand where the negativity has come from RE: turner? Both CB won everything in the air and only made the one very costly mistake. Personally thought Hughton got it right today. Today we needed someone with pace and quality to come off the bench which we don''t have.[/quote]

Jackson !!!

@SWP = Poor Man''s Ruel Fox!! - Good point and I agree with that. It''s just our lack of finishing that hurts us, it''s disappointing but atleast we''ve got a valuable premier league point.

[quote user="Frank"]I simply cannot understand the negative substitutions! 1-0 down and chasing the game what do you do: take off an injured Russell Martin, bring on Snodgrass and move Elliott Bennett to right back or bring on an extra centre back?

[/quote]of course by playing 3 centre backs it then allows you to push Garrido and E Bennett/Snoddy up as wing backs to exploit space... particularly after the red card....but then it was a negative substitution wasn''t it?

[quote user="Wiz"]Any point away is a good point, a bottom, rival mix side couldn''t beat us on their patch, I''ll take that.[Y][/quote]
I agree. We should''ve won, but I think everyone would''ve taken a point at half time.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Frank"]I simply cannot understand the negative substitutions! 1-0 down and chasing the game what do you do: take off an injured Russell Martin, bring on Snodgrass and move Elliott Bennett to right back or bring on an extra centre back?

[/quote]of course by playing 3 centre backs it then allows you to push Garrido and E Bennett/Snoddy up as wing backs to exploit space... particularly after the red card....but then it was a negative substitution wasn''t it?[/quote]
Logic. A trolls worst enemy. 

I felt there was too long a delay in making a change when AV went down to 10.

I would liked to have seen Fox on, in place of Johnson. Not because Johnson was having a bad game but I feel Fox would have added some creativity, not to mention some accurate passing, which was missing today.

Okay, it would only have been one midfielder for another but it would have been a positive move straight away, instead of waiting to see what changes Villa might make.

Sometimes when you have an advantage, you have to grab the initiative and up the ante straight away

[quote user="Billabong"]I felt there was too long a delay in making a change when AV went down to 10.

I would liked to have seen Fox on, in place of Johnson. Not because Johnson was having a bad game but I feel Fox would have added some creativity, not to mention some accurate passing, which was missing today.

Okay, it would only have been one midfielder for another but it would have been a positive move straight away, instead of waiting to see what changes Villa might make.

Sometimes when you have an advantage, you have to grab the initiative and up the ante straight away[/quote]
I agree but Fox wasn''t on the bench today. Howson for Johnson might have provided us with that bit more composure and technique in the midfield.

I have to agree that Hughton got almost everything right today apart from two points (one of which wasn''t really today):

• he didn''t select Fox for the bench - him for Johnson would have been the key to unlock Villa''s deep lying defence;
  • even without Fox we could have won if only our crosses hadn''t been over / under hit and our forwards could have finished - for that I blame Hughton for employing Calderwood / Trollope or whoever is working with the midfield / strikers on crosses and striking - deifintely don''t deserve their salaries at the moment.

Otherwise the negativity from thpse watching on''t ''net was definitely not mirrored from those at the game who saw the effort put in by Norwich and the heroic performance of Villa''s defence.  Some work on crossing and finishing and the elimination of mistakes in defence and there is not too much wrong.  

Great turn-out from the Yellow Army - Villa''s home support was very poor.  Treated Lambert with respect - also gained praise from Villa fans for the respect we gave to Petrov''s ovation