Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Aston Villa v. Norwich Match Thread ( Unofficial.)

Just back from the game, and for what is worth, my thoughts about the game;

1. Villa''s ground full of empty seats, and grumpy fans (sat right next to them).

2. Despite genius against Arsenal Wes made alot of mistakes today.

3. We did all the hard work, but were frequently let down by poor crosses, poor corner kicks, such a waste.

4. Turner has gone from zero to hero.

5. Could have / should have won against a poor Villa, but ultimately let down by our own mistakes.

6. A much better point for us than Villa.

7. Ive been to many away days, but despite all the pre match build up, our fans were noticably quieter today.

8. Two games without a loss - starting to believe we can survive again this year.

All this negativity is baffling. We were the better team by a mile today and should have won, that''s the only thing people should be complaining about, the fact that we should have won. People calling it an awful performance need to go and understand football a bit more. You do realise that when you play against ten men you have to become patient because the opposition just throw men behind the ball and this is exactly what we were second half and created numerous chances for that, the keeper has made two superb saves and the only credit we should give Villa is that they did defend well. Other than that I thought they were the poorest team I''ve seen this season. Sure the crossing could have been better at times especially first half, but this is the sort of thing to be constructive about and label as an improvement for future games, not to relentlessly scathe the team and label us as relegation certainties and call for Hughton out etc. We''ve gone two games unbeaten and are outside the bottom three with a winnable home game coming up.

Positives for me;

I think Hughton has started to find his best side. His substitutions today showed a real intent to win (Morrison on) not settle for a draw.

Turner is finding form. Tettey and Bassong impressive. Ruddy''s ball distribution today was great - one throw was well over the half way line.

Huge numbers travelled to support us today. Mistakes aside - I think we were just a little unlucky today. We clapped our players off the field, Villa fans just left looking grumpy.

Even the weather was good - cos it was freezing in Norfolk when I left at 8.00am this morning.

See... My glass is half full, not half empty.

''understand football a bit more''.....give me a break...what a pompous, unnecessary statement.

It was obvious after only ten minutes how nervous the Villa fans were and how poor the Villa team were. Rather than go for the jugular from the off, Norwich played with little purpose, even less threat, and proceeded to give up much of their majority possession with a misplaced pass or an ill-timed run.

The first half was of such low quality from both teams, that it was embarrassing to watch. I have read many comments by neutral supporters who have implied that neither side are fit to remain in the top division. That Norwich went in 1-0 down at half-time was entirely their of their own making and was an unfair reflection of their marginal superiority, albeit wasted.

Had Turner not scored, and it took twenty-five minutes of the second-half for Norwich to show any sort of urgency to do so, the scoreline would not have masked a performance littered with errors in every way shape and form. There onslaught of the Villa goal for the last fifteen minutes, masked the tripe that took place before it. I don''t think it''s unfair to say that Norwich''s point owed more to the sending off than Norwich''s ability to sweep aside a very poor Premiership side.

Maybe playing against ''a Lambert team'' affected some of the players, although that cannot be said of Hoolahan who was the one stand-out player on the pitch.

If Norwich avoid relegation, then this game will count for nothing. If they fail to survive by a couple of points, then, irrespective of any other matches this season, this game could be rightly looked upon as the cause of our downfall.

No fan wants to be negative, and from what I''ve seen this season, I''d like to think the squad have enough about them to move comfortably up the table. But play like they did in the first-half, against what must be the poorest team in the Premier League, and the season is going to be very arduous.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Just back from the game, and for what is worth, my thoughts about the game;

1. Villa''s ground full of empty seats, and grumpy fans (sat right next to them).

2. Despite genius against Arsenal Wes made alot of mistakes today.

3. We did all the hard work, but were frequently let down by poor crosses, poor corner kicks, such a waste.

4. Turner has gone from zero to hero.

5. Could have / should have won against a poor Villa, but ultimately let down by our own mistakes.

6. A much better point for us than Villa.

7. Ive been to many away days, but despite all the pre match build up, our fans were noticably quieter today.

8. Two games without a loss - starting to believe we can survive again this year.

[/quote]

I agree with most of this. Before the game I''d probably have been happy to take a point. At the end I was frustrated we didn''t get all 3

A real glass half-full/half-empty performance. We gave away a shocking goal but otherwise they rarely threatened us. In the second half especially after the sending off it was basically defence against attack and Villa were open for the taking - a real shame we couldn''t show a bit of composure and get the win.

Oh and for those saying the sending off changed the game in our favour - well, the guy couldn''t handle Elliott Bennett and had to resort to some really bad fouls to stop him so when he got sent off that was just what he deserved.

[quote user="unique"]''understand football a bit more''.....give me a break...what a pompous, unnecessary statement.

It was obvious after only ten minutes how nervous the Villa fans were and how poor the Villa team were. Rather than go for the jugular from the off, Norwich played with little purpose, even less threat, and proceeded to give up much of their majority possession with a misplaced pass or an ill-timed run.

The first half was of such low quality from both teams, that it was embarrassing to watch. I have read many comments by neutral supporters who have implied that neither side are fit to remain in the top division. That Norwich went in 1-0 down at half-time was entirely their of their own making and was an unfair reflection of their marginal superiority, albeit wasted.

Had Turner not scored, and it took twenty-five minutes of the second-half for Norwich to show any sort of urgency to do so, the scoreline would not have masked a performance littered with errors in every way shape and form. There onslaught of the Villa goal for the last fifteen minutes, masked the tripe that took place before it. I don''t think it''s unfair to say that Norwich''s point owed more to the sending off than Norwich''s ability to sweep aside a very poor Premiership side.

Maybe playing against ''a Lambert team'' affected some of the players, although that cannot be said of Hoolahan who was the one stand-out player on the pitch.

If Norwich avoid relegation, then this game will count for nothing. If they fail to survive by a couple of points, then, irrespective of any other matches this season, this game could be rightly looked upon as the cause of our downfall.

No fan wants to be negative, and from what I''ve seen this season, I''d like to think the squad have enough about them to move comfortably up the table. But play like they did in the first-half, against what must be the poorest team in the Premier League, and the season is going to be very arduous.[/quote]

And you have got the cheek to call someone pompous[:S] 

Well I''m not being pompous, I''m giving an opinion as to disagree with all this slating of the team, that''s unnecessary when you look at the bigger picture. It was one defensive error that cost us all day, apart from that one error, the back four missed nothing. There was some good approach play first half but it was let down by poor play in the final third. Second half we couldn''t have done much else in my opinion other than the poor finishing. Villa set their stall out after going down to ten men and it was the only good thing about their performance in that they defended well. We should have won but a point is always a point gained away from home in the Premier League plus we have two games that I feel we can both win coming up.

Aye, agree as well yellow blood. It does rather seem that our recent win vs the Arse has taken the wind out of some sails and they are now having to criticise something else than Hughton.

A point away from home is rarely a bad result, and we know only too well how difficult it can be to carve a result against ten men: yes there''s things we can improve but that applies to all sides and I''d prefer to be us than Villa right now