Sign in to follow this  
dazza

snodgrass.......

i know has probably been said before but snoddy would have had at least two decent close range shots on goal at the end IF he had  aright foot !! :(

both times tried to cut onto his left and what a shock it was closed down soooooo frustrating !

I am very disappointed in him, especially as he came with so much advanced publicity of the very positive kind. He doesn''t seem to be much more than a very good Championship player after all.

He works quite hard but hardly ever seems to quite come off. His first goal for us will surely be a red letter day.

I will refrain from mentioning his dead-ball achievements.

Right now I would prefer Howson, if pushed forward, and if Butterfield lives upto his hype then I see no place for Snoddy other than on the transfer list. I hope I am wrong, but I expected more.

I think we have acquired exactly the player he was at Leeds - no better, no worse. If people were expecting more of him, then they didn''t watch him particularly closely before he joined.

Although he was like the rest of our team in not having enough quality when it mattered, I thought Snodgrass added something to the team when he came on yesterday!

I thought he gave us some decent intervention and creativity when he came on. I would actually go further and say he should be starting on the left flank in the next match ahead of Pilkington who was absolutely woeful today.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I am very disappointed in him, especially as he came with so much advanced publicity of the very positive kind. He doesn''t seem to be much more than a very good Championship player after all.

He works quite hard but hardly ever seems to quite come off. His first goal for us will surely be a red letter day.

I will refrain from mentioning his dead-ball achievements.

Right now I would prefer Howson, if pushed forward, and if Butterfield lives upto his hype then I see no place for Snoddy other than on the transfer list. I hope I am wrong, but I expected more.

[/quote]

Who is it you support?

Remind me who scored the goal away at Spurs to get us a point

[quote user="kingsway"]Although he was like the rest of our team in not having enough quality when it mattered, I thought Snodgrass added something to the team when he came on yesterday![/quote]

i agree, he''s more of a goal threat than bennett (who i think are equally as good but in different ways) as he''s not so much about crossing, but cutting into the box.

One thing I didn''t understand yesterday was why Snoddy came on for Bennett (who was tearing their full back/s to shreds), instead of Pilkington who did nothing all afternoon.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]One thing I didn''t understand yesterday was why Snoddy came on for Bennett (who was tearing their full back/s to shreds), instead of Pilkington who did nothing all afternoon.[/quote]

Could not believe it either. About a minute for the substution was made Pilkington had a fantastic opportunity to put a cross in for the umpteenth time and put it straight into Guzan''s hands. Bennett was direct and lively I felt. Which lead to Joe Bennett getting both yellows.

I like Pilks as a player immensely and think he has a lot to offer us this season. But he simply wasn''t at the races yesterday.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]One thing I didn''t understand yesterday was why Snoddy came on for Bennett (who was tearing their full back/s to shreds), instead of Pilkington who did nothing all afternoon.
[/quote]

Agreed, and it was a typical like for like substitution from Hughton, when we should have made a more attacking sub

I want to see that myself GJL. Its my pet hate when wingers are asked to play on the wrong wing. If you are running down the line at full back. You either have to put the cross in on your weaker foot or beat the full back once and then beat him again to get the ball onto your stronger foot to cross. At this level you will do well to beat some full backs once. Let alone twice.

Is he a winger, when he plays on the right but can''t cross with his right foot? Is he a support striker, when his headers are usually weak and his shots over the bar? What is his best position?

He is certainly a talented player, capable of good control which enables him to hold on in the tackle, or beat a defender, and although not the paciest is no slouch either. His main limitation, as with Surman, is that he can do little with his right foot, and has to use a less forceful outside of the left foot. Our supporters who have seen him always spoke of the danger he presented. Perhaps he did the Championship, but he is not much threat in the Premiership. It is difficult to see what he could do at his present stage to develop into a Premiership player.

Snodgrass did more offensively in his 26 or so minutes on the pitch than Bennett did in his 64. He recieved the ball (was passed to) 15 times compared to Bennetts 24 despite this he attempted a similar ammount of passses (13 compared to 18) with better passing accuracy (83% compared to 72%) more of his passes were completed in the attacking third (indicating a more offensive outlook) had more shots (4 compared to 1) and attempted the same amount of crosses with the same accuracy as Bennett. Bennett was clearly better defensively (more tackles, interception, clearances etc.) but Snodgrass just offers more offensively and despite his apparent one-footedness I clearly remember a few crosses being put in with the right.

I cant believe I''m reading this rubbish?

Tell me, this season what have Pilks/Bennett/Surman done that Snodgrass hasn''t?

This video shows exactly why Snoddy will develop into a top player for us - he''s shown flashes of it already;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU49OP-BOeM

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]I would prefer Snodgrass to Bennett on the right anyday. And I look forward to his second goal as well....[/quote]

Well, I''m of the opposite opinion and have been calling for weeks for Bennett to be played instead of Snodgrass due to his superior pace and runs. Bennett should have had at least one penalty yesterday, but he also got the Villa guy sent off due to his pace as the only way to stop him was to pull him down. Strange that since Snoddy was dropped we had a win and a draw and looked much better than many previous performances. Taking Bennett off was a mistake as we then resorted to wasteful high balls, playing into Villas hands.  

Bennett must always start ahead of Snodgrass IMO.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]I would prefer Snodgrass to Bennett on the right anyday. And I look forward to his second goal as well....[/quote]

Well, I''m of the opposite opinion and have been calling for weeks for Bennett to be played instead of Snodgrass due to his superior pace and runs. Bennett should have had at least one penalty yesterday, but he also got the Villa guy sent off due to his pace as the only way to stop him was to pull him down. Strange that since Snoddy was dropped we had a win and a draw and looked much better than many previous performances. Taking Bennett off was a mistake as we then resorted to wasteful high balls, playing into Villas hands.  

Bennett must always start ahead of Snodgrass IMO.  

[/quote]

Bennett may be faster and better defensively but I still rate Snodgrass as a superior offensive player. I feel that if we want to focus on wing-play as our main form of attack (we attempted over thirty crosses yesterday) then we need to play the wide players that offer the most offensively and that''s Pilkington and Snodgrass at the moment.

Nah, its Bennett for me - pace is a must in this league.  Snoddy, god bless his talent, just gets shepherded into blind alleys far too often.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Nah, its Bennett for me - pace is a must in this league.  Snoddy, god bless his talent, just gets shepherded into blind alleys far too often.[/quote]
In what way does Bennett offer more than Snodgrass offensively? If we compare them Snodgrass attempts more crosses, makes more successful crosses, passes more often, shoots more often, and gets involved in the game more often? Bennett is faster and that''s about it. Snodgrass has been a more effective offensive weapon than Bennett this season. It''s undeniable that Bennett is a better defender though.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Snodgrass did more offensively in his 26 or so minutes on the pitch than Bennett did in his 64. He recieved the ball (was passed to) 15 times compared to Bennetts 24 despite this he attempted a similar ammount of passses (13 compared to 18) with better passing accuracy (83% compared to 72%) more of his passes were completed in the attacking third (indicating a more offensive outlook) had more shots (4 compared to 1) and attempted the same amount of crosses with the same accuracy as Bennett. Bennett was clearly better defensively (more tackles, interception, clearances etc.) but Snodgrass just offers more offensively and despite his apparent one-footedness I clearly remember a few crosses being put in with the right.[/quote]

This just shows how stupid statistics are in isolation, Snodgrass came on when they had 10 men and we were in total control. Snodgrass is a decent player but personaly I''m extremely glad to see Bennett back in the team his pace makes their fullback think twice about pushing on and also caused Joe Bennett to get sent off and should also have had a pen. Snodgrass is more likely to have a momment of brilliance or a goal in him but from what I''ve seen his general delivery from set pieces and in open play is far from being as pinpoint as I''d hoped from a wide player lacking pace. Although i have to say I''ve been abit disappointed with the crossing and corners from all of our wide players this season so far, something they excelled at last season.

Snodgrass lacks pace so will never be as offensive as Bennett on the wing. Surely that is pretty obvious otherwise we might as well give Chris Martin a go....... [;)]

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Snodgrass did more offensively in his 26 or so minutes on the pitch than Bennett did in his 64. He recieved the ball (was passed to) 15 times compared to Bennetts 24 despite this he attempted a similar ammount of passses (13 compared to 18) with better passing accuracy (83% compared to 72%) more of his passes were completed in the attacking third (indicating a more offensive outlook) had more shots (4 compared to 1) and attempted the same amount of crosses with the same accuracy as Bennett. Bennett was clearly better defensively (more tackles, interception, clearances etc.) but Snodgrass just offers more offensively and despite his apparent one-footedness I clearly remember a few crosses being put in with the right.[/quote]

This just shows how stupid statistics are in isolation, Snodgrass came on when they had 10 men and we were in total control. Snodgrass is a decent player but personaly I''m extremely glad to see Bennett back in the team his pace makes their fullback think twice about pushing on and also caused Joe Bennett to get sent off and should also have had a pen. Snodgrass is more likely to have a momment of brilliance or a goal in him but from what I''ve seen his general delivery from set pieces and in open play is far from being as pinpoint as I''d hoped from a wide player lacking pace. Although i have to say I''ve been abit disappointed with the crossing and corners from all of our wide players this season so far, something they excelled at last season.

[/quote]
It''s not just that game though. If we compare the games that Bennett has played compared to Snodgrass it shows that Snodgrass has ALWAYS put up better offensive statistics (and performances) than Bennett. Yes, Bennett''s pace is a useful attribute that needs to be utilised, especially as pace is something lacked throughout the team, but if we want our most dangerous wide-players on the pitch than it has to be Snodgrass and Pikington at the moment. Bennett has his own advantages (pace, energy, movement, defensive skill) but offensively, lets face it, he''s not been great since he joined last summer. His crossing is so-so sometimes struggling to beat the first man when trying to curve the cross in. His best cross of the entire game was when he burst past Joe Bennett with pace and drilled the ball across goal, but he doesn''t do that enough to get in as an offensive player. Bennett obviously offers a better balance to the team, his pace and work rate is a great counter to the slower and perhaps not as defensively responsible Pilkington but he needs to improve offensively to consistently start and not be switched on a game by game basis with Snodgrass.
On the flip side, Snodgrass also needs to improve. He needs to utilise his right-foot more, needs to make the full-back think he''s capable of going outside and trying to cross then just constantly trying to cut in. Snodgrass has great dribbling ability, perhaps the best in the squad, he needs to be more confident in going on the outside. 
Really, at the minute, none of the wide players have been able to show that he should be a starter. Pilkington has faded in and out of games and doesn''t try to impose himself in he''s not seeing the ball enough, Bennett has been poor offensively despite offering a good balance to the squad and Snodgrass has shown an alarming left-foot bias despite the fact that he is supposed to be quite good with his right foot (not exactly two-footed but good). I think it''s a tough decision to make. Snodgrass and Pilkington are the biggest threat offensively whilst Bennett offers such a good balance down the right. Maybe switch Snodgrass to the left and keep Bennett on the right?

[quote user="paul moy"]Snodgrass lacks pace so will never be as offensive as Bennett on the wing. Surely that is pretty obvious otherwise we might as well give Chris Martin a go....... [;)][/quote]
Brain... hurt... so... stupid [:''(]

Shame to see this thread really but have to agree that Snoddy has not yet delivered a top performance for us.He is a very nervous player and is still struggling with the expectation from moving to a Prem team. He is however a top quality player that is capable of making a big mark in this league, he has energy and is expert at finding and exploiting space and if given time and patience will be ome a top player. As fans we have to appreciate that for players like him the Prem is a big step up and it will not necessarily be an easy transition but he is quality and will do the job in time. He was always at the top of Lambos list and to be fair he was a pretty good judge of a player

With a very, very  poor Villa side there for the taking I was dissappointed with the contributions of Snodgrass, Bennett and Pilkington. I felt Snodgrass should have been more positive and as with the rest of the team played too many balls backward. Bennett is the paciest of the three but again was not incisive and should have made more contribution. I am afraid he is not a very consistent crosser of the ball and overhits a lot - as do much of the rest of the team !!! Pilkington usually starts well for 20 minutes or so then disappears for long periods. He has potential but needs to considerably improve for the permiership. Lacks confidence in taking on full backs on the outside.

[quote user="vos"]

With a very, very  poor Villa side there for the taking I was dissappointed with the contributions of Snodgrass, Bennett and Pilkington. I felt Snodgrass should have been more positive and as with the rest of the team played too many balls backward. Bennett is the paciest of the three but again was not incisive and should have made more contribution. I am afraid he is not a very consistent crosser of the ball and overhits a lot - as do much of the rest of the team !!! Pilkington usually starts well for 20 minutes or so then disappears for long periods. He has potential but needs to considerably improve for the permiership. Lacks confidence in taking on full backs on the outside.

[/quote]

The crossing yesterday was more to do with pressure and adrenalin than anything else.The three players you have mentioned I agree all played below par but equally are potentially three of our best players

I''m quite suprised to be seeing this criticism of Snodgrass who I think has been one of our best players season.

He''s contributed more than Bennett and Pilkington and I think he has shown that he is Premier League quality.  He changed the game when he came on with Morison yesterday and caused Villa far more problems in his short cameo than Bennett did the whole time he was on.  I like Bennett but although Snodgrass doesn''t have the same pace as him I think Snodgrass offers a lot more.  He''s got a better final ball and he is more of a goal threat.  Bennett obviously offers more defensively but the primary role of a winger is to attack and thats why I think Snodgrass should start ahead of him on the right wing.

I also think that Snodgrass has been better than Pilkington this season but due to the right wing being Snodgrass'' prefered positon I can''t see those two having much of a battle between them for position.