Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Pilkington

does not look interested at all!! is having a shocker imo, take him off, put Wes wide and Jackson on up top Villas back four would be dodgy against pace

"is having a shocker"

"SHOCKER"

tsk tsk tsk

Funniest post of the year.

He isn''t having a great game, but a shocker, really?

Agreed I don''t think Pilkington is sufficiently involved in the game. I was disappointed to see Bennett subbed. But he seemed to take a knock a few mins earlier at our end. May have been the reason?

What exactly did Bennett do, bar getting their Bennett sent off?

Pilks put decent crosses into the box, wanted the ball and wanted to run past the FB. Bennett a tally improved and managed to take on the LB a couple times, compared to his normal once then never again in case he suddenly forgets how to run. But my Grandad who was listening on the radio for much of the game said they were having a right moan about how Bennett was very ineffectual.

Pilkington has this irritating habit of dribbling the ball down the left, then leaving it behind which then makes him check back with his body facing his own goal.  I don''t know if it''s just the way he dribbles the ball but it looks like he constantly loses control of it.  Sometimes I think we''ve still got Matthais Jonson playing for us.

It was an odd one from Pilkington. He was in and out lots and comparison to Bennett was invisible.

And yet he put in far more dangerous balls even late on, the quality of his passing sets him apart, so I can see why if stayed on as we had more chances from him than Elliott or snod

Now just to get him more involved!!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What exactly did Bennett do, bar getting their Bennett sent off? Pilks put decent crosses into the box, wanted the ball and wanted to run past the FB. Bennett a tally improved and managed to take on the LB a couple times, compared to his normal once then never again in case he suddenly forgets how to run. But my Grandad who was listening on the radio for much of the game said they were having a right moan about how Bennett was very ineffectual.[/quote]

Another fan who doesn''t see what bennett also contributes defensivly!!

I wasn''t talking about his defensive work was I?

Where did I say what he does or doesn''t contribute defensively?

I don''t care of Bennett is the best defensive winger ever, that''s not what a winger is for...

Bennett was brilliant. Even my mate who supports Liverpool was confused when was taken off, especially against 10 men. He has the pace to cause problems and actually got in behind the full-back a few times and put the ball in low in the box. Unfortunately only Holty was usually in the box. Snodgrass on the other hand was generally quite poor. Poor delivery (one horrendous waste of a free-kick at the end) and when he did cut back in the box effectively he was just way too slow to shoot and got closed down. That could be down to being used as a sub only recently and not starting, but you''d expect him to be very fresh having just come on. It''s still early for him though and I wasn''t massively disappointed when he came on, but I thought Benno looked sharp on the wing and would start running the 10 men ragged. Ideally I''d have liked 3 at the back at the end with Garrido coming off (who didn''t get forward much imo) and Simeon making a front 3. Perfect situation for him to pick up loose balls and knock-downs from Moro and Holty and give their defence more of a headache with his pace.

Not sure how a thread with the sole word ''Pilkington'' in the subject has turned to all about bennett, but;

my input on the sub was, what we were doing, wasn''t getting the finishing result, I thought bringing snoddy on was a good idea, and he is better on the right. fresh legs and fresh ideas. I''m sure if he was better on the left, pilks would of come off.

[quote user="York Canary"]Bennett was brilliant. Even my mate who supports Liverpool was confused when was taken off, especially against 10 men. He has the pace to cause problems and actually got in behind the full-back a few times and put the ball in low in the box. Unfortunately only Holty was usually in the box. Snodgrass on the other hand was generally quite poor. Poor delivery (one horrendous waste of a free-kick at the end) and when he did cut back in the box effectively he was just way too slow to shoot and got closed down. That could be down to being used as a sub only recently and not starting, but you''d expect him to be very fresh having just come on. It''s still early for him though and I wasn''t massively disappointed when he came on, but I thought Benno looked sharp on the wing and would start running the 10 men ragged. Ideally I''d have liked 3 at the back at the end with Garrido coming off (who didn''t get forward much imo) and Simeon making a front 3. Perfect situation for him to pick up loose balls and knock-downs from Moro and Holty and give their defence more of a headache with his pace.[/quote]

I agree and would also have preferred Jackson on to run at the defence rather than Snodgrass hitting high hopeful balls. Hughton is quite one-dimensional IMO, and funnily enough Holloway [:#] went three at the back after half-time against Brighton to salvage a point yesterday. 

please don''t tell me you''re suggesting 3 at the back is ever a good idea in the prem?

villas few chances in the second half, all came from quick counters. 3 at the back is way to risky at this level, no matter the situation.

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]please don''t tell me you''re suggesting 3 at the back is ever a good idea in the prem? villas few chances in the second half, all came from quick counters. 3 at the back is way to risky at this level, no matter the situation.[/quote]

Even if the opposition is down to 9 men as Chelski were tonight ?  I''d never rule anything out when backs are against the wall or even when they''re not as every game is different.

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]please don''t tell me you''re suggesting 3 at the back is ever a good idea in the prem? villas few chances in the second half, all came from quick counters. 3 at the back is way to risky at this level, no matter the situation.[/quote]

Er yes I am. They were camped in their own half around their own box and 3 CB''s on Darrent Bent plus Tettey in front isn''t enough? At 1-0 down especially I would have made that change in the last 10 mins. If Herd was sent off too as he should have been it would have been even more reason to go for it with 3 at the back. That''s just my opinion though and something I think PL would have done last season with us, but obviously I''m not in charge and I still understand CH sticking with what he did. He at least took Johnson off and went 2 up front, but took out the pace of Benno and Simeon didn''t come on either. Just my thoughts

Playing three centre backs against a loan front man is pointless. You already have someone marking him and another covering, what''s the point of a needless third centre back?

Cant be bothered to read all this cos most of it looks dodgy, all I want to say is that Pilks is one of the genuine prem payers we have in the team, he played great against Arsenal and has had a long lay off from injury so give the guy a break!

[quote user="Wiz"]And I thought he did ok, ho hum. [:S][/quote]

Lovely to see your support for Chrissy Wiz, a true Norwich City fan if ever I saw one!

Did you actually watch the game?

Because we weren''t playing four at the back after they went down to 10 men, yes we were playing four defenders, but Ryan Bennett might as well have been a winger, he only went back when needed.

And Bennett was excellent?

How many chances did he create? He got past the FB two or three times that I can remember and I can''t remember any of his balls being any good,,, like I said, best thing he did was get the Villa Bennett sent off,,,

And we still got in behind Villa a few times when Bennett was taken off, Morison is a lot better at doing that than people give him credit for. I actually thought we should have just lumped the ball forward more. Holt, Moriaon and then Bennett being as far forward as Snodgrass half the time, might as well have just let Bassong and Garrido sling it into the box.

[quote user="York Canary"]Bennett was brilliant. Even my mate who supports Liverpool was confused when was taken off, especially against 10 men. He has the pace to cause problems and actually got in behind the full-back a few times and put the ball in low in the box. Unfortunately only Holty was usually in the box. Snodgrass on the other hand was generally quite poor. Poor delivery (one horrendous waste of a free-kick at the end) and when he did cut back in the box effectively he was just way too slow to shoot and got closed down. That could be down to being used as a sub only recently and not starting, but you''d expect him to be very fresh having just come on. It''s still early for him though and I wasn''t massively disappointed when he came on, but I thought Benno looked sharp on the wing and would start running the 10 men ragged. Ideally I''d have liked 3 at the back at the end with Garrido coming off (who didn''t get forward much imo) and Simeon making a front 3. Perfect situation for him to pick up loose balls and knock-downs from Moro and Holty and give their defence more of a headache with his pace.[/quote]

You must have been watching a different game to me.  Snodgrass (and Morrison) changed the game when he came on.  He made things happen and caused their left back far more problems than Bennett did in the entire game.  Ok his final ball wasn''t brilliant yesterday but how many of our players did put in a good cross apart from Wes for the goal?

I thought Snodgrass was quite unlucky to get dropped from the starting line up the other week because I think he has been one of our better players this season.  I like Bennett but I think Snodgrass edges it at the moment.

[quote user="Boyo"]

You must have been watching a different game to me.  Snodgrass (and Morrison) changed the game when he came on.  He made things happen and caused their left back far more problems than Bennett did in the entire game.  Ok his final ball wasn''t brilliant yesterday but how many of our players did put in a good cross apart from Wes for the goal?

I thought Snodgrass was quite unlucky to get dropped from the starting line up the other week because I think he has been one of our better players this season.  I like Bennett but I think Snodgrass edges it at the moment.

[/quote]

We started getting results once Snodgrass was dropped. Pace has been a glaring deficiency up until the last few games when we brought in Bennett and Pilks. Yes, Snodgrass did change the game, but into a one-dimensional high ball game which failed to garner 3 points. Jackson would have been a better option IMO with his less predictable running, and he can score.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Wiz"]And I thought he did ok, ho hum. [:S][/quote]

Haha...so did I actually.

[/quote]

Didnt you say he had poor technique and concentration?

Bennett was brilliant. Even my mate who supports Liverpool was confused when was taken off, especially against 10 men. He has the pace to cause problems and actually got in behind the full-back a few times and put the ball in low in the box. Unfortunately only Holty was usually in the box. Snodgrass on the other hand was generally quite poor. Poor delivery (one horrendous waste of a free-kick at the end) and when he did cut back in the box effectively he was just way too slow to shoot and got closed down. That could be down to being used as a sub only recently and not starting, but you''d expect him to be very fresh having just come on. It''s still early for him though and I wasn''t massively disappointed when he came on, but I thought Benno looked sharp on the wing and would start running the 10 men ragged. Ideally I''d have liked 3 at the back at the end with Garrido coming off (who didn''t get forward much imo) and Simeon making a front 3. Perfect situation for him to pick up loose balls and knock-downs from Moro and Holty and give their defence more of a headache with his pace

I watched the same game, but he frustrated me so much and it stuck in my mind. It''s probably the horrendous waste of a free kick he delivered at the end and the times he cut back onto his left in the box and was too slow to get a shot off before being closed down. I though Benno worked simple one-twos with his pace more effectively, but as I said before I wasn''t distraught he was replaced because I know what Snoddy can do. I don''t think Pilks was that bad either, but admittedly didn''t do much of note compared to his normal game.

In another thread I said that some of his corners were poor but said nothing about his concentration. I thought he did ok on his runs though.