Sign in to follow this  
jcutt35

Why did we ease off after Turner scored?

It seemed like we were certain to score again (and win) if we just maintained the tempo shown leading up to Turner''s goal!

Oh well, another point towards the magic 40! Perhaps the team could work on 1 on 1 shooting next week

Often after scoring the momentum changes,

Sometimes you can carry on as you were before, but Villa played the ball around a little. And we didn''t get going again for a while.

We had more than enough good chances to win the game at 1-1 though,

Far from it imo.Ruddy didn''t have to make a save all game long (nothing he could have done about the goal)...Snodgrass missed a sitter after the goal (volley in the box, miss hit it).Ryan Bennett missed a sitter after the goal (again, a volley in the box, but he is a CB so it''s a bit excusable).Again, we can only blame ourselves for missed chances. But we played very well for the whole game (bar 1 mistake).Lots and lots of positives from yesterday.I feel we need 2 up front though. We brought Morison on and scored. 31 unsuccessful crosses yesterday suggests that had Morison been on from the start, with playing with so much width I feel we would have done better.I like Hoolahan, and think he played very well indeed - but again, no end product. Missed two 1 on 1''s, which was rather frustrating.Fancy us to win next week though!

[quote user="Wiz"]Err?...we didn''t....we were still going for it.[/quote]There was a time when the team was slowly passing it around the half-way line a lot and not going forward.

The Villa players started time wasting by going down ''''injured'''' and taking their time taking free kicks etc which slowed the game down. But we never stopped trying to get the winner, in fact we had another good chance to win it right at the end.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Wiz"]Err?...we didn''t....we were still going for it.[/quote]There was a time when the team was slowly passing it around the half-way line a lot and not going forward.[/quote]When they have 10 behind, it''s useless just lumping it forward. We had to be a little patient and I thought we did well.

[quote user="Brendo"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Wiz"]Err?...we didn''t....we were still going for it.[/quote]

There was a time when the team was slowly passing it around the half-way line a lot and not going forward.
[/quote]When they have 10 behind, it''s useless just lumping it forward. We had to be a little patient and I thought we did well.
[/quote]

I thought the problem after we scored was there was not enough movement from our front line, they just kept holding their line goal to goal.  Holty and Hoolahan probably had a good excuse for that I guess given their earlier efforts.  Thus our defence and midfield were having to play keep ball and switching the angles, which made it look like that we were not going for it.  A wee bit more interchanging amongst the front three and the midfield would have had more passes on.  I was screaming myself hoarse from the terraces for them to do it.  Frustrating doesn''t come into it.  However as others have said we still created at least 3-4 clear cut chances and but for better delivery more would have been created too. 

I did feel we dropped in energy level immediately after we scored. It felt like another 5mins or so until we gathered pace again, but that makes sense in a way as Villa had time to re-organise at kick-off after conceding

[quote user="Brendo"]Far from it imo.Ruddy didn''t have to make a save all game long (nothing he could have done about the goal)...Snodgrass missed a sitter after the goal (volley in the box, miss hit it).Ryan Bennett missed a sitter after the goal (again, a volley in the box, but he is a CB so it''s a bit excusable).Again, we can only blame ourselves for missed chances. But we played very well for the whole game (bar 1 mistake).Lots and lots of positives from yesterday.I feel we need 2 up front though. We brought Morison on and scored. 31 unsuccessful crosses yesterday suggests that had Morison been on from the start, with playing with so much width I feel we would have done better.I like Hoolahan, and think he played very well indeed - but again, no end product. Missed two 1 on 1''s, which was rather frustrating.Fancy us to win next week though![/quote]That senario would have seen 31 unsuccessful shots

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Brendo"]Far from it imo.

Ruddy didn''t have to make a save all game long (nothing he could have done about the goal)...

Snodgrass missed a sitter after the goal (volley in the box, miss hit it).

Ryan Bennett missed a sitter after the goal (again, a volley in the box, but he is a CB so it''s a bit excusable).

Again, we can only blame ourselves for missed chances. But we played very well for the whole game (bar 1 mistake).

Lots and lots of positives from yesterday.

I feel we need 2 up front though. We brought Morison on and scored.

31 unsuccessful crosses yesterday suggests that had Morison been on from the start, with playing with so much width I feel we would have done better.

I like Hoolahan, and think he played very well indeed - but again, no end product. Missed two 1 on 1''s, which was rather frustrating.

Fancy us to win next week though!
[/quote]

That senario would have seen 31 unsuccessful shots
[/quote]

Unless of course Villa cleared many of those 31 crosses before they reached a Norwich player.

Ease off?

Well, that''s what the TV commentator(s) said (Ekoku wasn''t it?

Efan also thinks that strikers should all goal-hang like Darren Bent and not work back.

OTBC

"Unless of course Villa cleared many of those 31 crosses before they reached a Norwich player"

oh dear, that rather blows a very big hole in all the old tosh posted elsewhere about how a game can be understood by salivating over meaningless numbers

[quote user="Brendo"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Wiz"]Err?...we didn''t....we were still going for it.[/quote]There was a time when the team was slowly passing it around the half-way line a lot and not going forward.[/quote]When they have 10 behind, it''s useless just lumping it forward. We had to be a little patient and I thought we did well. [/quote]I noticed the same thing as Tom. The build up to our goal was relentless, it reminded me of some of our best play last season. But as soon as we scored the tempo fell off the edge of a cliff. I don''t think it was down to Villa''s tactics either.I have to say I suspect Hughton''s instincts are a lot more conservative than Lambert''s.Disappointed in Tettey; his passing looked pretty poor.

There was ONE POINT where we had to pass it on the half way line .  This was simply because there was an entire Villa team camped outside their 18 yard box and we were looking for an opening.We attacked right up until the whistle.What game do some of you people bloody watch?

I don''t see why people are so surprised if there was a drop off after the goal.    Its called relief.   Desperate to get a goal and under pressure to do so given Villa had gone down to 10 men - there must have been a sense of relief to have finally scored.   

Imo the team does not yet have full confidence/ belief and it was a very difficult match, given all the surrounding hype.    I would expect that if a similar scenario occurs again we would have learned from this and be more relentless in going for the win, but you need confidence and belief to really go for it. 

The lack of confidence showed I think in the crossing and free kicks too.   Trying too hard, possibly.  

We are still a work in progress.   Nine games in and the signs of improvement are there - but a long way to go to see the best out of the team under Hughton.  

Now I agree that our finishing wasn''t fantastic, but their GK played very well...save from Hoolahoops chance was class imo... well I played in goal for 15 years and he was great...our finishing wasn''t great enough...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Now I agree that our finishing wasn''t fantastic, but their GK played very well...save from Hoolahoops chance was class imo... well I played in goal for 15 years and he was great...our finishing wasn''t great enough...[/quote]

Yep, the goalie played a blinder Flecky. And you will know that the easiest of skills is making saves. The hardest is being in a position to make those saves. Often the comment "it went straight to him" does the keeper a big injustice.

That''s exactly what I mean Nutty, it often seems a comfortable save, just because of the positioning. Guzan was class and won 1 point for his team, one they scarcely deserved...