Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Hoolahan

Our most skilful player, looks good on the ball and links play etc. He causes less damage when he gives the ball away when he''s further forward - and could have scored twice - works hard - but still leaves me feeling disappointed. 

Why is that??    Genuinely don''t know.

Poor finishing, poor decision making, irritating habit of giving the ball away.  He''s Jekyll and Hyde all at once.  If we could take only the good then he''d be amazing, but he is as much of a liability as an asset, I''m afraid.

I''m not sure I''d go as far to say he''s a liability. He can be frustrating because, as you say Chops, he''s very good at times and then does something poor and ruins it all.

Having said that though, he strings a lot of our positive football together and I think we look far more of a threat with him in the side than without. Guilty of missing a couple of chances today, but until we can afford someone better I''d have him in the side if at all possible every week.

We''d need more such creative players like Wes. Sometimes he takes one dribble too many, but he creates chances, dares to play the game when others just hoof it up, or play it safe. I watched the game on a Hungarian sports channel, and the commentator (who didn''t think much of either of the teams) thought him to be the most technically skilled on the field.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]but he is as much of a liability as an asset, I''m afraid.[/quote]Completely disagree.  Our best player and has been for the last three years.  I don''t think it''s a coincidence that our performances are usually better when he is in the side.  And we usually hang on to the ball better as well - true, he does give it away but he is always looking to get on the ball and he gets possession so much he''s bound to make the odd mistake.  And it never deters him from wanting the ball again for another go - I have rarely seen his head drop when things don''t go his way.

I''m always disappointed when Wes is on the bench. Thought he was the best player on the park today. For me the biggest plus this season so far is Hughton playing him off Holty and not leaving him on the bench unless it''s the diamond. If Hughton has found Wes''s PL key then we can only benefit.

If he wasn''t inconsistent (or whatever other description you''d like to use to describe his downside), he wouldn''t be playing for us...

I would rather he was on the pitch than not.

Worst miss I''ve seen it ages. Still can''t believe he missed. Went for the tightest corner where the keeper was placed rather than the MASSIVE open side of the goal. What a **** miss..

Thank god he made up for it with an assist, but I think that goal would have made us win and killed them off straight away

[quote user="lake district canary"]Our most skilful player, looks good on the ball and links play etc. He causes less damage when he gives the ball away when he''s further forward - and could have scored twice - works hard - but still leaves me feeling disappointed. 

Why is that??    Genuinely don''t know.

[/quote]

Because he is not a complete player and I doubt he ever will be. If he could finish and get the silly mistakes out of his game he wouldnt be playing for us, he has a lot of the attributes of a really top player but too many faults unfortunately. He is still one of our best players though and I love to watch him, I got over the disappointed bit a long time ago and I just enjoy him for what he is now. Playing up front behind Holty he has been very effective IMO

Just a quality player. A joy to watch.

Great at keeping possession, great at linking up play, full of ideas and a very hard worker.

I never really understand the criticism of Wes and it makes even less sense after the game today. Man of the match on Sky and you would have great difficulty putting forward a case to disagree with that. Negative reviews of his game usually seem to centre around him giving the ball away too much which is absolute bullsh*t or his lack of consistency which misses the point that if he was more consistent he would not be playing for us. He is without doubt my favourite current player and it is great to see him playing in his best position now as a Number 10. Does anyone really think that we would be better off playing another out and out striker such as Jackson or Morison alongside Grant Holt? Our most underrated player in my opinion. What a curious OP from ''Mr Positive'' [:^)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I never really understand the criticism of Wes and it makes even less sense after the game today. Man of the match on Sky and you would have great difficulty putting forward a case to disagree with that. Negative reviews of his game usually seem to centre around him giving the ball away too much which is absolute bullsh*t or his lack of consistency which misses the point that if he was more consistent he would not be playing for us.  He is without doubt my favourite current player and it is great to see him playing in his best position now as a Number 10. Does anyone really think that we would be better off playing another out and out striker such as Jackson or Morison alongside Grant Holt? Our most underrated player in my opinion. What a curious OP from ''Mr Positive'' [:^)][/quote]

I''m a very curious person - curious to know why players don''t appear to learn from their mistakes.   For all his skill, Hoolahan still gets caught out too often.  Head down trying desperately to keep the ball when he should just move it on.   A player of his skill and experience should  not get caught out as often as he does, imo.     

He''s got everything you''d want from a CAM except a quality final ball at this level, and his decision making isn''t the best as others have said. He doesn''t possess anything like for example, Lansburys ball to Holt for his second against Ipswich at home. He just can''t play balls like that so often resorts to trying one two''s on the edge of the box to get himself in which most defenders are too clever to allow at this level or plays it wide. He''s a quality player and he makes us tick but all of his work very rarely ends up creating goals.

It was similar to when we had Hucks.  We all knew what he was capable of but his inability to head a ball and getting caught off-side was frustrating.

Is it because he isn''t Messi LDC? This or similar seems to be the commonest complaint about him.

Someone of Wes skill who made less errors would cost double figure millions and wouldn''t be playing for us.

He got an assist today with a great ball (when it seemed like know one else on our team new how to cross today). He also got our highest number last season and has been one of the driving forces of our success of the last 3 campaigns.

I''m happy to admit that he''s not the perfect footballer but nearly all the complaints levelled against him are like yours, no real tangible reason just "I think he gives the ball away too much" or "he doesn''t actually create that much". He actually plays more passes in a game than our other midfielders because he is always looking to get on the ball, has a high pass completion rate and as previously stated the highest assists last year. So what''s any of this criticism really based on? I can only draw the conclusion that its because he''s not someone better, who we therefore couldn''t afford and wouldn''t want to play for us.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]  For all his skill, Hoolahan still gets caught out too often.  Head down trying desperately to keep the ball when he should just move it on. 

[/quote]Nonsense. Hoolahan has the highest pass success percentage of any Norwich player this season. You don''t get that if you play with your head down. Try again [:P]

I''d have given MOTM to Brad Guzan for denying Norwich all afternoon

I also think Grant Holt would have something to say about who the best player has been in the last three seasons, not to mention the Player of the season voters.

Hoolahan is good but not nearly as good as people make out.

MOTM was definitely Brad Guzan. If Hoolahan had scored his sitter then he would have got it, but he didnt and he was generally poor in the first half getting crowded out and losing the ball frequently. Guzan stopped both his one-on-one contests and another good stop from a Hoolahan volley

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="lake district canary"]  For all his skill, Hoolahan still gets caught out too often.  Head down trying desperately to keep the ball when he should just move it on. 

[/quote]

Nonsense. Hoolahan has the highest pass success percentage of any Norwich player this season. You don''t get that if you play with your head down.

Try again [:P]
[/quote]

Agreed Shack. I think it''s endemic to football fans as a whole to be unhappy with what they have. But it''s particularly noticeable on here. Ruddy''s good enough for England but not for many of our fans. Holty''s scoring record is as good as it gets yet week in week out he gets criticism on here. And now Wes, the best player on the pitch today but fault has to be found. I''ve been following the club for 45 years and I reckon if fans can''t be satisfied with the last few seasons they never will be unless they follow another club. It''s been awesome and we just took 4 points from Arsenal at home and Villa away.

What a complete contradiction York. You can''t champion their goalkeeper as motm then call Wes'' chance a sitter. Both were fantastic saves and the one I assume your talking about he closed down quickly and saved with a toe.

Give peas a chance I said one of the best players, not the best. And pots is a popularity contest and doesn''t always reflect the players playing well just the perceived fans favourites (cough lee croft).

Nutty just read your comment and it''s spot on. I would never suggest a player was faultless but some of the criticism levelled at our players is ridiculous at times.

Just about everything good about city involved Wes today. there was no one harder working, won more k.am his fair share of possession back and ran directly at them

Yes he losses possession too, butless than any other city player this season. I can forgive him some as heis always playing aggressive positive football, not repeatedly failing with simple safe balls across another midfield or back to the defence.

So far this season he has been at the heart of our creative play. Enjoy that instead of looking for non existent problems you negative fans

[quote user="Monty13"]What a complete contradiction York. You can''t champion their goalkeeper as motm then call Wes'' chance a sitter. Both were fantastic saves and the one I assume your talking about he closed down quickly and saved with a toe. Give peas a chance I said one of the best players, not the best. And pots is a popularity contest and doesn''t always reflect the players playing well just the perceived fans favourites (cough lee croft).[/quote]

I can and I will. Lol. I guess it was a contradiction, but I do think Guzan was MOTM because he made some good stops against a Hoolahan volley and Holt''s one-on-one, was good on crosses and solid generally and was in the right place for Hoolahan''s one-on-one..but I do think it was a sitter..all that open space and ignored it and went where Guzan was planted already. I think I''m just overly disappointed about dropping 2pts. Really wish he''d scored that chance. He was practically in the net already he was so close to the goal:(

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Wes is a wonderful player, a joy to watch. He has that element of magic. He''ll frustrate people, he''ll split opinion. But he is the one player who can do something a bit special and take your breath away. No doubt if we signed Ronaldinho and he played a pass off his back he''d be slated for showboating and if it didn''t come off well....... Wes can often be worth the ticket money on his own. He''s up there with Bellars, Drinks and Crooky for my favourite....[/quote]

True words

Wes is a wonderful player, a joy to watch. He has that element of magic. He''ll frustrate people, he''ll split opinion. But he is the one player who can do something a bit special and take your breath away.

No doubt if we signed Ronaldinho and he played a pass off his back he''d be slated for showboating and if it didn''t come off well.......

Wes can often be worth the ticket money on his own. He''s up there with Bellars, Drinks and Crooky for my favourite....

Didn''t get to see the game so can''t comment on the particulars of it.  However, i''d like to know what people think of playing Hools as a number 10.I am a big Wes fan and think he is a very gifted footballer, however the one thing he lacks is the ability to finish.  On this basis i wonder what people think of him essentially being our second striker.  It would perhaps be risky to drop him back into CM, but i feel that if we were able to have Tettey running about and breaking up play, we may be able to pull it off.  Hools behind Holt and say the pace of Jackson (not a big fan), or even Morison should give us a little bit more up front. 

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Are you a Timelord Duncan?

[;)]
[/quote]

[:)] How did that happen??