Sign in to follow this  
hazza9

Team for spurs...

GK Bunn, DL Tierney, DC Turner, DC Bassong, DR Whittaker (if fit), LM Pilkington, CM Fox, CM Howson, RM Snodgrass, ST Holt, ST C.Martin or Morison

Ruddy

Whittaker, Bennet, Barnett, Tierney

snoddy butterfield fox surman

howson

morison

now - this is not the team I want out there, but this is the team I expect to be fielded. and I am sure it will make those who have payed the 30 quid very, very angry, and I can''t blame them.

but, I also wouldn''t blame Hughton if he fields a team like this.

butterfield and whittaker didn''t play in todays u21 win over bolton, which makes me think they were being saved for wed.

however, if some of our key players pick up a knock v spurs, and we end up dropping points to stoke for it, there will be a lot more people who''re angry at hughton compare to if we lost v spurs and picked up 3 points with a fully fit squad.

Exactly league is more important.

We will still see a strong team but we are not going to risk anything that can jeopardise the league performances. Next two league games are important, got a good chance to get three points against two teams with only 2 wins between them.

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]Ruddy

Whittaker, Bennet, Barnett, Tierney

snoddy butterfield fox surman

howson

morison

now - this is not the team I want out there, but this is the team I expect to be fielded. [/quote]

I agree this is likely to be the team.   However, I would prefer to see Jackson start.   He has been the more deserving of it for his efforts this season.

I know its not going to happen after reading the article on the homepage today about Hughton being ready to make changes, but I would rather see a closer to full strength team. We are not that far away from a wembley final and some of the stronger teams have already been knocked out, so a good opportunity to give it a real go. Still leaving out a few key players/people just back from injury, i''d like to see: -

Ruddy
Whittaker - Turner - Bassong - Tierney
Fox - Tetty
Bennet - Butters - Snodgrass
Holt

I think there is a lot to be said about playing Turner and Bassong together as much as possible so they can work on their partnership. I know Snoddy isn''t really a left winger, but no harm in trying it and letting him, Bennet and Butterfield rotate...

That team should walk over a weakened Tottenham team, we seem to do pretty well against them anyway of late!

I don''t think Bassong will play as surely it''s too risky after he''s already had a recent hamstring injury. I would not want to see him unavailable against Stoke or Reading. Bennett and Turner would be my guess. No doubt Chris Martin will get a run out to satisfy those missing his finishing skills.  [;)]

Expect Bale to have a field day. 

BUNN

WHITTAKER R.BENNETT BASSONG TIERNEY

FOX

SNODGRASS SURMAN

HOWSON

BUTTERFIELD

MORISON

Let''s see what Ryan Bennet is like alongside Bassong, give Morison 90 mins and Butterfield his debut.

Whoops, lets try that again.

BUNN

WHITTAKER R.BENNETT BASSONG TIERNEY

-------------------------------FOX

SNODGRASS----------------------------------- SURMAN

-----------------------------HOWSON

-------------BUTTERFIELD

------------------------------MORISON

Let''s see what Ryan Bennet is like alongside Bassong, give Morison 90 mins and Butterfield his debut.

does my head in all this, send our strongest team out and go for it, city are charging enough, if they want to send out the ressies pay ressies prices. Why not give it a go, the league will take care of itself whatever imo.

[quote user="ricky knight"]does my head in all this, send our strongest team out and go for it, city are charging enough, if they want to send out the ressies pay ressies prices. Why not give it a go, the league will take care of itself whatever imo.[/quote]

Totally agree, Ricky.

I always get annoyed when an almost entirely different 11 gets used for Cup games, if we don''t care about these competitions why do we bother playing in them? (I know we have to, but you know what I mean!)

I understand staying in the league is important and therefore not risking players, but isn''t maintaining form, developing experience with a system, keeping partnerships developing (Bassong/Turner, Tettey/Johnson, a revitalised Holt/Hoolahan etc.) also important? Not to mention we could actually win this competition if we tried! Its the one cup that clubs our size are usually pretty competitive in.

Whittaker is an enforced change, otherwise i''d like to keep it as ear to first 11 as possible and maybe give a chance to a couple who haven''t had it. We should look to win this.

I know it will look significantly different, but i''d like something like this:

Ruddy,

Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Garrido

Snodgrass, Fox, Tettey, Pilkington,

Hoolahan, Holt

Maybe swap Pilkington for Surman and Wes for Butterfield. But i''d rather the core continued to play together, with a couple of changes.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="ricky knight"]does my head in all this, send our strongest team out and go for it, city are charging enough, if they want to send out the ressies pay ressies prices. Why not give it a go, the league will take care of itself whatever imo.[/quote]

Totally agree, Ricky.
[/quote]

And me!

First name on the team sheet has to be Grant Holt.

Whilst I agree with that sentiment I simply can''t see many of Saturdays starters starting against Spurs.

GK: Bunn

LB: Tierney

CB: Barnett, R. Bennett.

RB: Whittaker.

LM: Surman

CM: Fox, Howson

RM: Butterfield

STR: Morison, Jackson.

[quote user="Across The Pond Yellow"]Ruddy Whittaker, Bennet, Barnett, Tierney snoddy butterfield fox surman howson morison now - this is not the team I want out there, but this is the team I expect to be fielded. and I am sure it will make those who have payed the 30 quid very, very angry, and I can''t blame them. but, I also wouldn''t blame Hughton if he fields a team like this. butterfield and whittaker didn''t play in todays u21 win over bolton, which makes me think they were being saved for wed. however, if some of our key players pick up a knock v spurs, and we end up dropping points to stoke for it, there will be a lot more people who''re angry at hughton compare to if we lost v spurs and picked up 3 points with a fully fit squad.[/quote]

You could swap Ruddy for Bunn and possibly swap Butterfield and Howson around in the hole.  Perhaps not our strongest line up but all those players have/expect to around the first team so it gives them the perfect platform to step up to the mark and hopefully give Hughton some future selection headaches.  I feel we are at a completely differant place to when we played Leicester last year so I for one wouldnt been to unhappy with this line up and at this point in time the league must take priority.

Ruddy

Whittaker   Bennet  Bassong  Garrido

Fox    Tettey

Snodgrass    Hoolahan    Butterfield 

Holt

Lets intergrate some "fringe" players with some of our current first team rather then select a full side of fringe players, including debutants, who have barely played together. This will also help the likes of Butterfield and Whittaker make a more successfull integration into the first team for league games when required.  

I would go with:

Ruddy

Whitaker Barnett Bennett Tierney

Fox Howson

Snodgrass Butterfield Surman/Jackson

Morison

Quite impressive really that we can out out the above side which (Ruddy aside) is a completely new starting 11 from Saturday and its still a side that could quite easily start games for us in the premiership. The squad is looking pretty strong.

Having said the above i can also see an argument for trying to keep some continuity tonight given results are picking up and combinations are gelling in the first tea,m There may therefore be some justification for giving Bassong and Turner another run out together to try and build their partnership and also possibly trying Tettey alongside Fox or Howson in the middle.

------------------ruddy--------------

bennett------bennett---turner---tierney

--snodgrass-------fox--------pilks----

----------hoolahan----butterfield------

-------------------holt----------------

*bassong to be rested and perhaps swap tettey with fox if spurs'' CM are winning the balls in the middle too often.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I would go with:

Ruddy

Whitaker Barnett Bennett Tierney

Fox Howson

Snodgrass Butterfield Surman/Jackson

Morison

Quite impressive really that we can out out the above side which (Ruddy aside) is a completely new starting 11 from Saturday and its still a side that could quite easily start games for us in the premiership. The squad is looking pretty strong.

Having said the above i can also see an argument for trying to keep some continuity tonight given results are picking up and combinations are gelling in the first tea,m There may therefore be some justification for giving Bassong and Turner another run out together to try and build their partnership and also possibly trying Tettey alongside Fox or Howson in the middle.

[/quote]Totally agree, we could mix it up a bit giving players like Butterfield/Whitaker a run out or field a completely differant 11 from our last game but as you say all the above players were first team starters last year or new players expected to start/bench at the very least certainly no players in there just making up the numbers.  Whatever way we go we clearly have a much stronger squad than last year not forgetting we still have players like Alaya and Vaughan that could potentially come back better/stronger players for us.  If we can sign a quality striker in Jan and perhaps move on Martin I dont think we could really ask for more for now.  Fingers crossed stay in the Prem this season (which I believe we will) and then strengthen again for next year with 2/3 quality players without having to make wholesale changes re: Evertons/Fulhams/Stokes etc.

If Ruddy or Bassong start I''d be amazed.  We''ve bought in an experienced understudy to Ruddy so bringing Bunn in for cup games hardly weakens the team and gives him an important run-out.  And if Bassong had a reoccurrence of his injury with games against Stoke and Reading coming up, people would rightly ask why he was playing. So I expect :

Bunn

Whittaker/Barnett/Bennett/Tierney

Fox/Howson

Snodgrass Butterfield Surman

Morison

This is not a weak team but it rests some players before some vital league games and gives some others game time who need it.

[quote user="It''s Character Forming"]

If Ruddy or Bassong start I''d be amazed.  We''ve bought in an experienced understudy to Ruddy so bringing Bunn in for cup games hardly weakens the team and gives him an important run-out.  And if Bassong had a reoccurrence of his injury with games against Stoke and Reading coming up, people would rightly ask why he was playing. So I expect :

Bunn

Whittaker/Barnett/Bennett/Tierney

Fox/Howson

Snodgrass Butterfield Surman

Morison

This is not a weak team but it rests some players before some vital league games and gives some others game time who need it.

[/quote)

Exactly the team I would put out and agree with all the above

Solid foundations for me -                     RuddyWhittaker Turner Bassong Tierney                 Fox TettySnodgrass Butterfield Pilkington                  JacksonA team we might actually use in the league at some point.

Norwich

• 28 Bunn
  • 03 Whittaker
  • 06 Turner
  • 23 Tierney
  • 24 R Bennett
  • 08 Howson
  • 11 Surman
  • 15 Fox
  • 21 Butterfield
  • 07 Snodgrass
  • 16 Morison

Substitutes

• 13 Rudd
  • 18 Garrido
  • 20 Barnett
  • 17 E Bennett
  • 27 Tettey
  • 09 Holt
  • 10 Jackson

Tottenham

• 25 Lloris
  • 16 Naughton
  • 20 Dawson
  • 28 Walker
  • 33 Caulker
  • 02 Dempsey
  • 11 Bale
  • 22 Sigurdsson
  • 27 Falque
  • 29 Livermore
  • 46 Carroll

Substitutes

• 23 Cudicini
  • 05 Vertonghen
  • 39 Smith
  • 06 Huddlestone
  • 07 Lennon
  • 31 Townsend
  • 18 Defoe

Ref: Moss

The team is:-

CITY: Bunn, Whittaker, Turner, Snodgrass, Howson (c), Surman, Fox, Morison, Butterfield, Tierney, R. Bennett SUBS: Rudd, Holt, Jackson, E. Bennett, Garrido, Barnett