Sign in to follow this  
willo

Would you sacrifice Hoolahan for Morison v Stoke?

Do we go Horses for courses or pick a player playing well?

Cant make my mind up, but I''m leaning towards starting with Morison, with Hoolahan ready if we cancel each other out.

What do you think

I think I would. It''s not the sort of game for Wes, he''ll probably get kicked all over the pitch.

Morison and Holt up front could really batter their defence, if we can get some decent crosses into the box via Benno and Pilks - that''s a winning formula.

Tettey and Jonno to bulk out the midfield.

Plus we''re at home, 2 up top seems a fair idea .

Though we''ve played well last two games, wouldn''t be surprised if it''s unchanged.

Seems a bit illy to try and take Stoke on at their own game. Only benefit of Morison would be helping out at set pieces, but I don''t think that''s his strong point anyway, Holt is better when he goes back to defend.

Hoolahan won''t get kick up in the air... In fact he''ll probably get fouled less because Stoke are more about power than pace and finesse, and Hoolahan will get past players easier...

Actually second thought, that game away at Stoke last year - I thought we ended up trying to match them and got suckered into hoof ball. That was a dreadful match all round.

Stick to playing football, perhaps Wes is best for that to create things. I do like the idea of two up top though. Perhaps switch to the diamond? But then its hard to drop either Tettey or Jonno to compensate.

It''s nice to have these problems at last this season haha.

[8-)]  We would we lower our game to their level?   I do think we have the best formation in the 4231 we used on Sat,  with a questionable option of Fox alongside Tettey to improve things.  Play to our strengths and make them worry about us..

If we want to combat their power up front and in midfield bring Morison in for Bennett and go a narrow defensive 3 in midfield Johnson Tettey and Fox/Howson,  not a diamond but 4-3-1-2 - with wes feeding of second ball from morison holt.

However that is very much a second mest approach for us,  much prefer getting bennett and pilkington wide to stretch the game and ensure hold is available in the middle to feed off their and wes'' creative work.

Unchanged please! 

I''d like to see Butterfield given a go instead of Wes

He still offers alot of creativity in that same position but with just that added eye for goal and an extra bit of physicality and height

Renskay, surley none of us know what butterfield would offer given that he has not played in the team or the premiership (obviously not counting development or cup games). Are you butterfield in disguise.

I don''t think it''s a good game to bring Butterfield into the starting lineup after a long injury break.

This season I think Wes is better at receiving the ball with players around him and moving to give himself a second or two to play it on - last year he was caught in possession a lot, this year it happens less (it still happens, just less often).  (Also people complain about him making poor passes sometimes - it can be a bit frustrating but he is our key creative player who tries to play balls through the other side''s defence rather than play the safe square ball, so it stands to reason more of his passes go astray than if he played like that).

I''d much prefer to have Wes playing rather than change to a more physical attacking style - that''s how Stoke like to play.

Give Butterfield a go during the game, but surely you wouldn''t include him in the starting 11 yet? He''s just come back from a long injury may-off and might be more usefull as a sub

I rate the lad and he''s gonna do well , but I wouldn''t throw him in yet

Just think from their point of view, who would they rather play against?

Playing Morison and as previously mentioned, getting suckered into playing hoofball, will be food and drink for them, and what they''d prefer. They don''t like it on the floor.

Sends a great message to the lad after a Man of the Match performance to then be dropped, the best chance we have of beating stoke is not to try and beat them at thier own game.

I agree. Butterfield will get his chance tonight, and it would be too much for him to play again on Saturday as he lacks match fitness. Wes can do well against Stoke with Moro and Jackson to bring on if necessary.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Give Butterfield a go during the game, but surely you wouldn''t include him in the starting 11 yet? He''s just come back from a long injury may-off and might be more usefull as a sub I rate the lad and he''s gonna do well , but I wouldn''t throw him in yet[/quote]

Now I would ROB, at some point that call has to be made, if he can play against Spurs and does well...he''s fit.

And remember, he is a CH signing .

Why drop a player who was our best player in the previous League game!

Worry about our team not the opposition!

Hoolahans capable of causing Stoke problems!

So a big NO is the answer!

[quote user="Renskay"]I''d like to see Butterfield given a go instead of Wes

He still offers alot of creativity in that same position but with just that added eye for goal and an extra bit of physicality and height[/quote]

Would you still like to see Butterfield after tonight''s performance - I thought he was totally anonymous? Very poor - and very slow..