Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Why I dropped Doc

"I made the decision as I felt there were mistakes being made", you have never uttered a truer word.  But Nigel these mistakes have been made during the entire season and especially over the last 15 matches.

It does look although the Doc has been made a scapegoat and to be honest he hasn''t been the worst offender.  Craig Fleming as the senior representative  should be organizing the defence and has been culpable on more than one occasion.  But will Worthy drop Flem who has played every minute of every game, which is not deserved, I think not.

I can''t believe he''s said that. Doc has been fairly solid in recent games and I would say there are certain other players who should have been dropped instead.

I think that there''s a chance Worthy bought him as defensive cover but thought he''d do a job up front primarily. I really hope he doesn''t turn out to be yet another one of Worthy''s bad buys

More like "Why I bought the Doc......or Jonson.......or Gallacher" now that would be a better question.

What he actually said was (as a reason why Charlton was on the bench instead of Doherty):

"Simon Charlton can play centre-half or left-back. Gary Doherty can only play centre-half and he doesn''t want to play at centre-forward," said Worthington. "I just felt mistakes were being made – and obviously they were not all down to Gary – but I just felt changes were required."

Dropping our only proper centre back with recent Premiership experience was a stupid move...and whilst Fleming had an ok game, Doherty or Charlton and Shackell would have been much better. At least with Shackell and Doherty, we''d be bigger for defending set pieces, win most long balls in the air, and of course we''d be more of a threat at attacking set pieces. 

I also felt Drury was solid at left back, and met the required standard at this level for the first time this season, bar the odd moment.

Fleming isn''t good enough, but he''s our captain, and that''s that I guess.

For the first time this season i have to disagree strongly with worthys comments absolute trosh , the doc has been the better of our defenders in recent weeks and was unlucky to lose his place . Dropping him on monday didn''t make a lot of difference did it so back to the drawing board on that one.

Getting Helveg in at right back will help a lot too...Edworthy, despite his effort is way out of his depth. The amount of times he is caught out of position and/or ball watching is quite astounding. He just stops and watches it unfold instead of trying to do something about it. He offers very little in an attacking sense either; other than running forward like a loon/putting in a poor ball, he doesn''t do enough.

Helveg  Doherty  Charlton  Drury

Helveg  Charlton  Shackell  Drury

Helveg Doherty Shackell Charlton

Any of those is good for me

"More like "Why I bought the Doc......or Jonson.......or Gallacher" now that would be a better question."Smudge, I''m right with you on that one. How much did that little lot cost us? £2 million, maybe more? And just what have they contributed?Seeing the quality of Dean Ashton certainly makes you realise just how poor Worthy''s summer signings were.

doc has not been the main culprit at the back. i think we all know, i think its fleming''s turn to the blame. he has been there all season and he is not good enough. doc and shack will do a better job.

I never really understood why Worthy got rid of just Malky in the summer. He showed that he could be ruthless and unsentimental in getting shot of Malky, so why not go the whole-hog and get rid of Flem too. For me he had two options, keep them both or sell them both.

I think Flem should be rested for a while ... he`s showing signs of stress  , and this is passing to  the defenders around him   ....once the confidence in a captain  wavers   its problem time !     ...... 

I always favour  making the goal keeper captain ,  he`s the one player  who is watching   the pattern of play [ or should be ! ],  Greeno should   be bawling out  warnings/ instructions  to the defenders  much more than he has been doing  ......... 

Campbell,  finally someone who agrees with me on Eddy, quality 1st division player but not good enough for the prem.  If Helveg had stayed fit I think Eddy would be on the bench. 

Weston (I was going to put WC but it didnt seem quite appropriate!) if you felt alone some posters have put me in Coventry for it - a ground swell of appreciation of the issue is now being seen though.

Its not that I dont appreciate the effort he puts in, but as I often say, I would run myself to deaths door on the pitch for NCFC but you would want me in your sunday team let alone at a prem club...

OTBC    

I totally agree with Campbell about Eddy, he is always out-of-position.  People will agrue he puts some important tackles in and he does but it''s normally a last ditch tackle on an opposition player that he has "forgot" to mark and has chased after them! 

Good example about Eddy, Man City punted a long ball down field in the second-half Monday night.  He just stood there watching it waiting for it to go out of play.  It didn''t, a Man City player chased it down and when he had the ball Eddy had to run like hell just to get anywhere near him!  Don''t know if anyone noticed that?