Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Jacob Butterfield

Now that he''s had a couple of competitive outings, I''d be interested to know the views of others on his ability, potential and role in the team. I have formed my own views but, as usual, I would prefer to keep my own council rather than drone on.

Contemplative Mungo

I''d be genuinely surprised if we saw the best of Butterfield this season so I hope people don''t lump too much expectation on his shoulders.

He''s young, never played in the Premier League before, has just moved to a new club and is coming back from a fairly serious long-term injury.  These things suggest to me that he''s gotta be given time to reach his full potential.  It''s next season where you would want to see him really assert himself, much like Pilks and Elliot Bennett should be doing this season

I think after Feb (Once we''ve one the league cup and got our trips to europe sorted next season ;) ) is when he will start to shine.

but in all seriousness, I don''t expect him to play until probably the utd game at the earliest. I think he should get a few more U21 games under his belt before he hits the premier league running. But I do expect a Lad who doesn''t know which foot is his strongest to do very well once he is accustomed

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Now that he''s had a couple of competitive outings, I''d be interested to know the views of others on his ability, potential and role in the team. I have formed my own views but, as usual, I would prefer to keep my own council rather than drone on.

Contemplative Mungo

[/quote]

Is that your AE typing then

Based on the performances so far he is one to develop this season,  I thought the game went on around him too often on weds but there are clear signs of his capability - no surprise match fitness not quite there yet (very much like Fox)

For me he needs some games (maybe on loan for a month?) and introduce him as a sub from the second half of the season to adjust him to the demands of the prem league and then push wes and howson as the person in that forward role come next season.