Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Alert! Hoolahan contract wobble? Daily Mail

He has seen holt hold us to ransom.

I think he is vital to sign up but do we want a long term contract. The aim is to stay in this division so we need to bring in better players than both holt and hoolahoops.

But by getting h hoops signed up means at least we can get some £££ for him. Holty is very unlikely to have any suitors. But hoops may well.

For this season he is looking vital, next season he will be vital but with hughtons good signings it would look like we would bring better forward players and he would be within a number of good players rather than being singled out.

We need to stay in this division so hoops needs to be wrapped up but he needs to continue to put in these performances. I think we can agree holty has not worked as hard at the start of the season as he did during last year. He has scored goals which is all that matters to me. So he is proving his worth at this time and needs to score 10+ this season. If hoops gets the contract, we need goals and assists, not just running around.

We will lose players but lets hope we make money on some, so lets tie up the hoops for 2-3 years.

it''s as Tim said. July 2014 is when his contract expires. and it was my impression the butterfield will eventually replace wes in his role, albeit maybe not for one or two more seasons as he is young, but still. As for this season though, wes is most def crucial, and having him being unhappy is not something that should happen.

18 months before the end is when negotiations start - if we decide we dont want a player selling them with a year left is right to get some transfer money,  while a wanted player knows they can negotiate improved terms.

Its a tough one,  whether wes has more than a couple more years is debatable and for butterfield is next seasons player and a potential replacement - but so is howson so we do have options.   Neither are quite as direct as wes but we cant be scared of losing any player.

I see no issue here at all.Come July 2014, Wes will be 32 and arguably past his best days, added to the fact that players like Butterfield, Howson and even Snoddy will be 2 years older and more experienced and able to play the role as well.If he wants a sensible deal, then a 1 year extension might be ok, but if he''s wanting big money and a few more years then I''d argue that we should just let him go with our thanks and appreciation.

God what rubbish people talk.

Wes has been central to the two promotions and a good part of our premiership success.

Replacing him at this stage would cost far more than keeping him.

Holt didn''t hold us to ransom. He wanted longer term security for him and his family - is that not what anyone wants?

I would put money on Hoolahan being the same. And in the case of Hoolahan I would be more inclined to give him a longer deal simply because the key part of his game will never leave him. His touch, skill, technical ability and vision are pretty much priceless to us.

Yes in a couple of years he might find himself behind a much improved Butterfield, Howson or Snodgrass. But then what a hell of a back up to have.

So far as I have seen there are only a couple of players like Hoolahan in the premier league - Silva at Man City is one. Perhaps Hoolahan is not as good as him but I''d be happy for Wes to get another two years on top of what he has at the moment.

Saying that he''ll be past it is foolish when you look at his talent. It''s not pace reliant, its not physical - he could loose a yard or so of pace and still influence games just because he keeps moving, doesn''t stand still.

He is 30 soon I believe and his contract expires at the end of NEXT season.  Butterfield is his successor.  If he is still doing the business after Christmas in 2014, give him another year.  Otherwise, tell him to get on with playing football.

Not one single player is bigger than NCFC, stay, fine, if not, bugger off.

There again, this is the Daily Fail so it could be all utter tosh.

[quote user="smooth"]He has seen holt hold us to ransom.

I think he is vital to sign up but do we want a long term contract. The aim is to stay in this division so we need to bring in better players than both holt and hoolahoops.

But by getting h hoops signed up means at least we can get some £££ for him. Holty is very unlikely to have any suitors. But hoops may well.

For this season he is looking vital, next season he will be vital but with hughtons good signings it would look like we would bring better forward players and he would be within a number of good players rather than being singled out.

We need to stay in this division so hoops needs to be wrapped up but he needs to continue to put in these performances. I think we can agree holty has not worked as hard at the start of the season as he did during last year. He has scored goals which is all that matters to me. So he is proving his worth at this time and needs to score 10+ this season. If hoops gets the contract, we need goals and assists, not just running around.

We will lose players but lets hope we make money on some, so lets tie up the hoops for 2-3 years.[/quote]

Better players than Holt and Hoolahan? Who are these better players you are referring to then? Pound for pound H&H are as good as it gets. Wes is our Silva and Holt our Drogba.

To go out and buy so called better players your looking at £15m minimum, which we dont have. The effect both have on the team is priceless. We would not be where we are without H&H.

And Holty hasnt worked as hard? You dont know your football do you. And you clearly dont know Holty. He takes a while to get fully match fit, he''s 32, he''s now looking there and we should see a 100% Holty this month. Doesnt mean he hasnt worked hard, he has worked as hard as his fitness allowed and will now work even harder being totally match fit.

The Mail article is utter drivel - no source, no quotes, just pure speculation.

As usual, then. I''m starting to think that the Mail is just a massive media trolling site - see

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2225987/Angela-Epsteins-furious-attack-Government-My-family-losing-child-benefit-just-earning-100k.html

for a perfect example.

As a Norwich fan I may come across a little biased but, for me Hoolahan is one of the most technically gifted players in the premiership. Until recently he''s not received much recognition from anyone outside of the club, but recent performance have changed this, particularly the televised game against Villa, where he was outstanding.

If he was to be sold in Januray I think the goals would dry up completely. Replacing a player of his talent would be almost impossible on our budget.

I cant see any sale before the summer.   Like many I think he is a key player for us but he is at that age where it can be a tough judgement call as to how long he can perform at his current  level;  its not about this season, or even next,   its about the one starting in 18 months time,  and its impossible for us to know that. 

If we can agree revised wages now and extend his contract for 1 or maybe two years I would be very happy.   If he is being unrealistic sell him in the summer and carry on. 

Wes has and is a major player for us. That said everyone has a shelf life. who knows what division we will be in in July 2014. At his age he has very limited sell on value so that is not an issue in deliberations. As others have suggested if all the circumatances are right nearer the time then offer him an extension otherwise not an issue until at least the close season

From what i heard in the summer, Wes was told he would not be getting improved terms on his contract. i thought at the time that could lead city to cashing in on him but after his recent performances i imagine we will keep him for a further season. But as others had said, as 32, i doubt he will still be as effective as he has been in the last couple of games.
Would you cash in on him this summer? Before the season started i would have said yes, now i am not so sure, in fact for 2-3 M i would let him go come July.

[quote user="priceyrice"]From what i heard in the summer, Wes was told he would not be getting improved terms on his contract. i thought at the time that could lead city to cashing in on him but after his recent performances i imagine we will keep him for a further season. But as others had said, as 32, i doubt he will still be as effective as he has been in the last couple of games.

Would you cash in on him this summer? Before the season started i would have said yes, now i am not so sure, in fact for 2-3 M i would let him go come July.

[/quote]

whats your reasoning for this? as from where i''m looking Wes appears to be improving with age. His game isn''t based around attributes that commonly decline with age. As I''ve mentioned before, Paul Scholes is 38 and still doing it. Fergy admitted it was a massive mistake allowing him to retire. Wes has been here for along time now, and in his time here Norwich City have been very successful, I''m sure this is no coincidence.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="priceyrice"]From what i heard in the summer, Wes was told he would not be getting improved terms on his contract. i thought at the time that could lead city to cashing in on him but after his recent performances i imagine we will keep him for a further season. But as others had said, as 32, i doubt he will still be as effective as he has been in the last couple of games.

[/quote]

whats your reasoning for this? as from where i''m looking Wes appears to be improving with age. His game isn''t based around attributes that commonly decline with age. As I''ve mentioned before, Paul Scholes is 38 and still doing it. Fergy admitted it was a massive mistake allowing him to retire. Wes has been here for along time now, and in his time here Norwich City have been very successful, I''m sure this is no coincidence.

[/quote]
I am just working on the basis that most midfielders are past it at around 32/33. I agree about Scholes, he is an exceptional exception! But i could name players like Arshavin who has distinctly lost it as he has got older.
Wes is not a player that relies on his speed but he does rely on his quick feet, these will decline as he gets older as will his fitness, he is asked to do a lot of work for the team when he plays. A player like Scholes or Gerrard isn''t as effected by old age as their game is more about spreading the play or hitting 40 yard passes and not opening up space with the ball at their feet, as Wes likes to do.

Bly and The Daily Mail printing tosh and baseless rumours............whoever would have thought it ?[;)]

It is 18 months until Hoolahans contract runs out for goodness sake.

Am I the only one that thinks Wes is not "vital" to the club.  I love to watch him when he is in the right mood - and Hughton does seem to be getting the performances out of him.   If he carries on like he is I will happily review my opinion of him - but I do see that we have creativity and skill in other players.   We have all Wes when he has those days where nothing seems to be working for him - and that does not help the team - so imo - yes he is an important player for our club, but he is not "vital" - that is just doing the other players a dis-service.  

Speed is not a vital part of his game its technique and skill, other players have continued to play at this level way passed 30, look at Giggs. Hoolahan could continue to be a starter/squad player of real quality for 3/4 more seasons. Maybe Butterfield or Howson or a new player will gazump his place in the team. But I would still keep him in the squad, as others have said, guys of his technical ability are few and far between in the premiership.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Am I the only one that thinks Wes is not "vital" to the club.  I love to watch him when he is in the right mood - and Hughton does seem to be getting the performances out of him.   If he carries on like he is I will happily review my opinion of him - but I do see that we have creativity and skill in other players.   We have all Wes when he has those days where nothing seems to be working for him - and that does not help the team - so imo - yes he is an important player for our club, but he is not "vital" - that is just doing the other players a dis-service.  

[/quote]
I agree, i was always one who has seen him as a player the team needs to accommodate, but he fits in very well with Hughton''s 4 2 3 1 system or 4 4 1 1. 
i was all down for selling him this summer too, however he has shown how much he can help the team in his last two games. Saying that though, there are still a few things which bother me about Wes, such as his knack at losing the ball in dangerous places after taking on one too many players while he also doesn''t score enough. I also think he lacks that killer pass in the final third, but that may derive from the fact we only play with one striker when Wes plays.
I imagine that Howson could score a fair few from the Wes position and some Leeds fans would argue that it is Snodgrass'' best position as well. Add to that Butterfield then I still see Wes as a player we could cash in on well being sort of replaceable, if that makes sense.

LDC - right now I think we have 3 essential players - Bassong Wes and Holt and in that order.    Tettey is looking like he may will join that group soon but they are all irreplaceable (when on form) within the current squad and are the core around which to build the team.  

It does feel like you have it for him at the mo in refusing to see what his appearances have done for us this season.   From his few starts he has been voted MOTM for the influence he has had on the game,  and more than any midfielder or striker.

Without Wes in the side this year we simply have not been creative, through Pilks, Bennett, Snodgrass Surman or Howson.

The question for me is whether he will remain pivotal in 18 months - as of today I suspect he and holt will be nothing more able subs for us come the 14/15 season.

While we can''t be sure where we are playing next season, until we are safely in Prem next season with all the increased revenue Hoolahan is unlikely to be offered new contract.  And at 32 is unlikely to be offered a lucrative 3 year contract or be worth what we consider to be a worthwhile fee.  So I guess Wes may be offered new 3 year deal at end of season as long as in Prem, if not will see out contract.

Charge all supporters, regardless of height, age, weight, sexuality/gender, intellect/education, hair colour, shoe size, or whether they be vegetarian/carnivore, or if they reside within the inner or outer ring-road - (or maybe further afield)......Just a single one fixed (no concessions) price, for the forthcoming Villa cup-tie. The grand and fair (and cheap as chips) feeble sum of  just £90 pounds each for a ticket.......Give all the ''full-house'' total matchday takings to Wes and his Agent......Then Wes will stay another season.......and we''ll all be extremely happy.... [:D]

I may even suggest this idea to our CEO Mr Mac.......I''m posting my suggestion on here, just so that Mr Mac doesn''t plagiarise my most excellent marketing idea.......and claim all the personal glory when it comes to fruition......

I also suggest that Mr Mac (and the rest of the board).....including any of them ''Yah, I''m slightly famous or any of those/their ''oink, oink'' chummy free-loaders).... also chip in with 90 sheets each......

Rest Wes for the Villa cup game.......so that he and his agent can count their takings for that game - and soon as the numbers tally......Wes, can then announce his one year contract extension......''sorted''....

"ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!"......."WE''RE ALL IN IT TOGETHER!"........ [Y]

Oh yes we are! [:|]

Just the one question Mello.........will this £90 include a new plastic seat,half time tea and biscuits,access to a flat screen TV and refurbished toilets ?[;)]