Sign in to follow this  
ben symonds

Right back for Saturday

After Whittaker''s performance against Spurs Wednesday it will be interesting to see if R Martin plays if he is fit.

I think Whittaker will end up being the dominant right back from now on. It''s a shame as I like R Martin but have preferred him when playing centre back opposed to right back since we have been in the premier league.

You know what you get with Russ tho, would be a shame to not have him playing as we look stronger with him as opposed to without.

Hughton has said that he wanted yesterdays game to make the squad selection hard on saturday, he has his wish, but now he''s in for a headache

if Martin doesn''t play, it goes without saying that whittaker will probably replace him.

if Whittaker has a blinder of a match, and we dominate, win, and keep a clean sheet. what happens from there?

Martin hasn''t done much wrong for me this season IMO, so it would be unfair to drop him for whittaker because whittaker performed well for 2 games while martin was injured.

but on the other hand, it isn''t fair on Whittaker to be dropped if he has 2 great games.

I suppose this is what Hughton gets payed to do, but, at least it''s not a selection drama our neighbours of Anglia and other prem teams have of "He''s sh>>, We''ve replace him with sh>>, what do we do!?"

this is a welcome problem, and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I also think the RM/RW will be a picking problem for sat. Bennett has been very good, but snoddys crosses and corners looked very good yesterday. I like Bennett and want to see him grow, but on the other hand, after spending 3-4m on snoddy, I want him to develope into a great player (and shutting the dirtly leeds fans up wouldn''t be bad either.

I''ll probably get shot down for saying this, but I don''t think Russ Martin is actually that good a right back. He gets beat regularly by anyone with a little bit of pace and he is ok at best at getting forward. IMO, he is the weak link in our back line. He seems his best when making last ditch tackles/clearences off the line.

I guess Hughton saw him as a weak link, hence Whittaker turning up at the club. I know Russ is a fans favourite, but if Whittaker is fit, I expect him to be our number 1 RB going forward, once he''s broken into the team, and it looks like he''ll get that opportunity on Saturday. However, I hope nobodys place is a sure thing, so if Whittaker doesn''t perform, Russ will soon be back. 

I guess its what the manager is there to do;   overall though Martin has been ok all season,  lacking a bit of pace but strong (as his centre back performances show) and consistent with nothing more than the occassional lapse,  while we have one strong performance from Whittaker so far.

On balance I would stick with a fit Martin but have no concerns in bringing whittaker in if MArtin is less than 100% fit...

I want to know what happened to the attacking play Martin used to offer?He''s far more defensive now than he used to be but being fair he isn''t anything special against quicker and more skillful players and I''d argue that Whittaker may have the edge here.That being said I thought he was excellent when used at CB last season and with someone like Seb alongside him, should be even better.How about using Martin at CB when we''re not up against stronger and taller strikers like Carroll etc, and Turner when we are?

Indy, in a way I agree Martin is not attacking as much but that was because the diamond shape dictates full backs providing the attacking width.

I also think that Martin struggled in this shape as he was left one on one, which exposed his lack of pace. Now in a 442 he is asked just to defend which I thinks suits him better.

I also think his standards of crossing are not great but dangerous in the box for corners.

Whilst I am talking about set pieces, I was frustrated last week that all free kicks were aimed at Martin, surely Holt, Bassong Turner are the best options/ Seemed to be Russ at back stick for them all.

Martin has no pace.  Within 2 years he will be ditched by NCFC and end up playing centre back in the championship.  Not knocking the lad, but he is simply not mobile enough for the top flight.  Whittaker on the other hand may be.

[quote user="Vazzza"]I''ll probably get shot down for saying this, but I don''t think Russ Martin is actually that good a right back. He gets beat regularly by anyone with a little bit of pace and he is ok at best at getting forward. IMO, he is the weak link in our back line. He seems his best when making last ditch tackles/clearences off the line.

I guess Hughton saw him as a weak link, hence Whittaker turning up at the club. I know Russ is a fans favourite, but if Whittaker is fit, I expect him to be our number 1 RB going forward, once he''s broken into the team, and it looks like he''ll get that opportunity on Saturday. However, I hope nobodys place is a sure thing, so if Whittaker doesn''t perform, Russ will soon be back. [/quote]

Ridiculous deduction. You need two players for every position to cover for injuries, suspensions, loss of form. It also results in competition which tends to produce that little bit extra from players. There must be a constant desire to improve the quality of the squad, in general. When a new player arrives, it doesn''t automatically reflect badly on the players that are here. When Morison signed, was it because Holt was viewed as a weak link?

[quote user="kellybrook"]Martin has no pace.  Within 2 years he will be ditched by NCFC and end up playing centre back in the championship.  Not knocking the lad, but he is simply not mobile enough for the top flight.  Whittaker on the other hand may be.
[/quote]

I bet you were a member of the original Russell Martin scapegoat bandwagon. Is this a futile attempt at some form of reincarnation?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]It''s quite simple, you play your best player.[/quote]

Not quite that simple. You play your best player, in the opinion of the Manager (the only opinion that counts), bearing in mind the nature of the opposition.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]It''s quite simple, you play your best player.[/quote]

Not quite that simple. You play your best player, in the opinion of the Manager (the only opinion that counts), bearing in mind the nature of the opposition.

[/quote]

I know what you guys are saying but I think you have to take into consideration an ''and in form'' contribution to the debate.If Martin is in form ( in the managers eyes) then why should he be dropped? The minute he is out of form.............

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

I know what you guys are saying but I think you have to take into consideration an ''and in form'' contribution to the debate.If Martin is in form ( in the managers eyes) then why should he be dropped? The minute he is out of form.............

[/quote]

Oops, menat to add in the mix is that Hughton bought Whitaker,and not Martin, so will have plans for him

I was one of those who thought Martin suffered a little at RB last season, his lack of pace does not help, but he did excell as a makeshift CB, his reading of the game is extremely strong. However, i think he has done little wrong at RB this season, he has been much better definsively, although his crossing and attacking play has dwindled.
I am not sure if Whitaker is even ready for a full 90 min in the prem and i don''t like to see defensive changes during a game, so for me i would start Martin- whoever is playing is going to get run a bit ragged, stoke love using their wingers these days rather than constant long balls from the defence.

If RM fit he should play, Whittaker looks the part but needs to impress further, cannot say he looked that speedy against Spurs.  Elliott Bennet needs to play as he is better at protecting the RB which may be needed if Etherington plays which has been mooted, EB does need to improve his delivery Snoddy was great in midweek.  Maybe better if wingers played ball in the danger area without trying to elevate the ball which Pilks and Benno didn''t manage against Villa, see if defenders can deal with balls played with pace.

If fit Whittaker no doubt about it, no room for sentiment in The Premier League...that said, we actually now have two excellent RB''s in the squad if the glimpses of Whittaker we have had are anything to go on...........for me CH has worked wonders with his signings and strengthening the squad and we are well set up for the rest of this tough season.

Just watching Jon Otsemobor playing for MK Dons @ Cambridge City in FA Cup.  Thank god we''ve not got that to worry about nowadays.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Just watching Jon Otsemobor playing for MK Dons @ Cambridge City in FA Cup.  Thank god we''ve not got that to worry about nowadays.[/quote]
I would have Steve Nedegard (? spelling) back in a flash though

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="shefcanary"]Just watching Jon Otsemobor playing for MK Dons @ Cambridge City in FA Cup.  Thank god we''ve not got that to worry about nowadays.[/quote]
I would have Steve Nedegard (? spelling) back in a flash though
[/quote]

Steve?

Steeno, Cully or Helveg would be class in this squad

however Martin is doing OK, not let us down and is solid and consistent - he starts for me. Whittaker is pushing and that the pressure CH should

Naughton has shown what a right back can be fir us and should be our aspiration level over the next 18 months - fast, skillful on the ball and reads the game well

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Steeno, Cully or Helveg would be class in this squad

however Martin is doing OK, not let us down and is solid and consistent - he starts for me. Whittaker is pushing and that the pressure CH should

Naughton has shown what a right back can be fir us and should be our aspiration level over the next 18 months - fast, skillful on the ball and reads the game well[/quote]

Agree with this.  The key to success is continued development.   Naughton was terrific last season - if he had stayed Martin would be on the bench more often than not.   There is no room for sentiment - the best players for the job have to play.   If Whittaker is going to be better - then so be it.  Still think E. Bennett could be the answer.   But Martin is the man in possession of the shirt.  However, he may not be 100% fit - so today could be Whittaker''s opportunity.

whittaker in and doing a quiet steady job, not too much getting forward nor over stretched at the back so far though

One good cross to holt in the first half is encouraging