Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Can someone help me with the odds?

Hi all...I''m not a betting man but as you all know, I am a regualar on here and was amazed and the other post about the betting odds on us getting relegated.

Can someone explain to me what ON means? 20 to 1 ON...so how much do you put down £20 or £1? And why isn''t it 20 to 1 OFF? Sorry, this is not a joke post but I really don''t understand it.

I got the 6 to 1 win against Chelsea bit, if I put £1 down I get £6 back if we win right? Plus my £1 back.

Hope I''m right...help!

If you put a £1 on City to be relegated, and City are relegated at odds of say 10-1 on, you will get back the princely sum of 10p, plus your stake of £1.  If 20-1 on as advised you get 5p plus stake.

Odds againt multiply stake by the odds. 5-1. 5 x £1 plus £1 = £6.

Odds on divide stake by the odds. 1-5.  £1 divide by 5 i.e. 20p plus £1.

Hope this clears up.

Odds of 20/1 ON basically mean that something is extremely likely to happen. If you bet £20 and that thing happens you will only win £1.  You put down £20 and get back a total of £21.

As to why its called odds ON and not odds OFF I really don''t know.

Another way of expressing odds of 20-1 ON is to say that its odds of  1 to 20. 

Odds of 20 to 1 AGAINST mean that something is quite unlikely to happen. If you bet £1 and that thing happens then you get back a total of £21.

I hope that helps to make it clearer Canary Boy and hasn''t left you more confused.

Thanks Peter and Mr Rosario!

It''s great to know you have friends on this board who can and will help you out.

If I can be of any assistence in predicting for you, let me know...I am near the top of the Prediction League.