Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Stoke Fans

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Deserve some sort of prize for watching that s**t every week. Worst game I''ve seen since, well since Stoke came here last year.[/quote]

You beat me to it - if Stoke were my local team I would not go - couldn''t watch that rubbish every week. Even their own fans on their forums complain about their long ball tactics

Stoke look like they''ve actually become even more rudimentary than last year. Last year they were still incredibly direct but at least they had the secondary threat of two quick wingers who could cross. Now they don''t even have that. Kightly looks a shadow of the player who took Wolves too the championship title, Etherington has been reduced to a sub and Pennant (one of their most technically gifted players) is out on loan to Wolves.  
The sad thing is that defensively they''re a very good pressing team that are great at recovering the ball of teams, but once they do they have no skill to actually make use of it.

Its not pretty to watch but still very effective at putting sides under pressure. We could have very easily drawn that game but for a couple of good saves and a hard working defence.We might not like the look of their long ball game but it has kept them comfortably in the Premier League for several seasons now.

Yeah for real, how can you be entertained by that dross ?I think they do deserve some sort of accolade, I bet they are the only club in Europe that actually looks forwards to the half time entertainment !

[quote user="ricardo"]Its not pretty to watch but still very effective at putting sides under pressure. We could have very easily drawn that game but for a couple of good saves and a hard working defence.

We might not like the look of their long ball game but it has kept them comfortably in the Premier League for several seasons now.
[/quote]

Reading their forum suggests their fans hate the hoof ball and want Pulis out. They cant understand how walters starts week in week out

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Its not pretty to watch but still very effective at putting sides under pressure. We could have very easily drawn that game but for a couple of good saves and a hard working defence.We might not like the look of their long ball game but it has kept them comfortably in the Premier League for several seasons now.[/quote]

Reading their forum suggests their fans hate the hoof ball and want Pulis out. They cant understand how walters starts week in week out

[/quote]While he is keeping them up I can''t see him being in any bother. It will be interesting to see how quick things change if they go on a sustained bad run.

I wouldn''t be too surprised if they struggled this season. Not only did they look dire but there didn''t seem to be that ''spark'' about them.

Teams often have the air of defeat about them and some of their players didn''t really seem up for it. They seem to have run out of ideas and appear to be just going through the motions, already. Not a good sign.

If you don''t want to win, then very often you don''t.

[quote user="City1st"]

I wouldn''t be too surprised if they struggled this season. Not only did they look dire but there didn''t seem to be that ''spark'' about them.

Teams often have the air of defeat about them and some of their players didn''t really seem up for it. They seem to have run out of ideas and appear to be just going through the motions, already. Not a good sign.

If you don''t want to win, then very often you don''t.

[/quote]Yes, I had the feeling that they might struggle a bit. They are so one dimensional that they persist even when its not working. The rate that they are accumulating yellow cards is alarming and must lead to disruption when suspensions kick in.

Whilst I agree he''s better Rudolph, he knew what he was bought for so it should be no surprise. I guess Stoke were the highest bidders and he took the dollar.....

Surely they are today''s Wimbledon?[:^)]

I''m probably doing a diservice to Wimbledon there.  Not just in the football, but relative to their different era''s Wimbledon spent very little in keeping themselves in the top division.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I''m probably doing a diservice to Wimbledon there.  Not just in the football, but relative to their different era''s Wimbledon spent very little in keeping themselves in the top division.

[/quote]
Problem is Stoke aren''t spending a relatively little amount, they''re spending quite alot. They spent around 20 million pounds in the 2011-12 season on 2 players, the season before that they broke their transfer record on Kenwyne Jones and then broke it again on Peter Crouch the following season. This season they''ve spent around 10 million pounds in transfer fees alone and brought in big earners like Owen. They''re not spending obscene amounts but their not the poorest team in the league by some distance

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]The thing is Wimbledon sort of had no choice. Stoke have spent enough money so that they don''t have to play that way. I look at someone like Steven N''Zonzi and wonder how much better he would be in a team who played decent football. He''s no former hod carrier plucked from amateur football.I''d love to see Stoke relegated this season.

I think it''s only fair that Stoke have to repay us our ticket prices whenever they come to Carrow Road - because they make watching football such an immense chore it''s unbelievable.The game stopped every 2 minutes for a free kick where `Big tough Stoke` go down under the slightest touch, those in the lower stands get sore necks from looking up at the sky to see where the ball is and i''m fairly two or three from the upper stands were considering jumping just to not have to watch it anymore.It really, really is abysmal and I would love Stoke to be relegated so a football team can replace them.On a sidenote, I can see why they do it because for bits of the first half they tried passing it and created literally nothing.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think it''s only fair that Stoke have to repay us our ticket prices whenever they come to Carrow Road - because they make watching football such an immense chore it''s unbelievable.

The game stopped every 2 minutes for a free kick where `Big tough Stoke` go down under the slightest touch, those in the lower stands get sore necks from looking up at the sky to see where the ball is and i''m fairly two or three from the upper stands were considering jumping just to not have to watch it anymore.

It really, really is abysmal and I would love Stoke to be relegated so a football team can replace them.

On a sidenote, I can see why they do it because for bits of the first half they tried passing it and created literally nothing.
[/quote]

Have to agree 100%.  Stoke away last year was easily the worst game of the season for me.  No one denies their style is effective in that it makes them hard to beat and no one enjoys playing them.  I think tho the refs are starting to twig that they do give away a lot of fouls, and this, plus other teams working out how to combat their approach, could be their downfall.  I hope.

And a lot of people must agree as there were only 26,000 at CR yesterday which must be the lowest attendance for quite a while.

To be fair, the gaps in the crowd were mostly in the away end, which was barely half full - it seems many of their travelling supporters are bored by their side too.

I was going to go yesterday, but after seeing it was £43, plus train travel from London, the day out would have cost in excess of £100. Never, even if I was earning over £1,000,000 a year would I ever pay over £100 to see Stoke play.

I was at Stoke away last season and as another poster said, was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. It''s like watching League 1 football again. Also never have I been so meticulously searched before entering a game, I guess there isn''t much to do in Stoke, but I thought sexually abusing the away fans is a funny way to pass the time.

After seeing that shower of shite that day, and it taking about two hours to get out of their industrial estate ground, I vowed never to watch my team play Stoke again.

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Its not pretty to watch but still very effective at putting sides under pressure. We could have very easily drawn that game but for a couple of good saves and a hard working defence.We might not like the look of their long ball game but it has kept them comfortably in the Premier League for several seasons now.[/quote]

[/quote]It''s not pretty to watch but it''s certainly effective.Stoke have been in the top flight for several seasons. Going back a bit Wimbledon managed 14 consecutive years playing the same style so as far as staying up goes they''re doing something right.Whether or not the Stoke fans enjoy it is another thing but I bet most prefer to accept it if it means staying in the Premier League.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]To be fair, the gaps in the crowd were mostly in the away end, which was barely half full - it seems many of their travelling supporters are bored by their side too.[/quote]

At £46 a ticket would you get too excited about travelling to Norwich on a cold,damp Saturday in November. With the greatest of respect to ourselves look at it from a Stoke fans perspective and would you pay that?