Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Capitol One Cup ticket update

[quote user="lake district canary"]As a non-season ticket supporter,  I would have been happy to pay £25 for a seat against Spurs, so £30 is just perhaps psychologically  a bit too high.  I can''t make it to the match anyway, but the league games I do attend I end up paying sometimes £45  so  I suppose £30 doesn''t seem so bad.   The club have just misjudged it slightly, I think - they ought to remember the loyalty of season ticket holders.   Maybe to the well paid, well off  people who make these decisions, £30 doesn''t sound much - but to most of us it is a significant amount, especially when its an occasion when family can come along too. 

[/quote]

You make a very good point Lakey. The prices mean different things to different people. Now I agree that £30 is steep because the earlier rounds have been cheaper and it''s a cup competition which history has taught us to be wary of. But Stoke on Saturday isn''t really a game to over excite. One adult with one under 12 in centre blocks is £70 for Stoke and £35 for Spurs. Or the more realistic family area is £60 for Stoke or £35 for Spurs. Of course it''s very different for us season ticket holders because me and my grandson''s tickets would work out at £31 for Stoke and £35 for Spurs.

So Mungo has a point doesn''t he? Because with 22,000 season ticket holders going to the Stoke game and then the away allocation there will only be seats for less than 4,000 casuals. There will be far more than 4,000 casuals on Wednesday so the truth is that it''s likely to be the season ticket holders who will be sending a message to McNally and not the casual fan. And that message is pointless because most of those 22,000 will sign up again in February come what may.

I''ve joined this conversation a little late, but what the heck I''ll add my two pennies worth too...

I budget for my season ticket and the cost of travelling up from London. A midweek fixture is impossible for me to get to whether it''s a league game or a cup game and £30 plus other associated costs would just be too much anyway.

Should something happen with the gods and we make it to Wembley, yes I would go and I''d have no guilt about having not attended earlier rounds of the competition. It would be such a rare occurrence so why shouldn''t I?

Why is it seen as a slight that all season ticket holders don''t attend every game at Carrow Road? That concept seems a little feckless to me.

Well I think he has a point but maybe it''s not the one he''s trying to make or the one people are reacting to. The post above is interesting because it shows that a percentage of ST Holders wouldn''t bother with this game even if admission was haf a crown with a free packet of polos. The reaction comes from Mubo Jumbo turning a reality into a criticism. Are you going Bury? I am but with a friend in the posh seats because the kids have other more horrific plans for the evening.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well I think he has a point but maybe it''s not the one he''s trying to make or the one people are reacting to. The post above is interesting because it shows that a percentage of ST Holders wouldn''t bother with this game even if admission was haf a crown with a free packet of polos. The reaction comes from Mubo Jumbo turning a reality into a criticism. Are you going Bury? I am but with a friend in the posh seats because the kids have other more horrific plans for the evening.

[/quote]

Surely the point is if the club priced the game at the right level they would sell out, generate more income and increase the chances of winning by having extra support. This is really about poor management choices v consumer power.

GL

[quote user="Gardeningleave"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Surely the point is if the club priced the game at the right level they would sell out, generate more income and increase the chances of winning by having extra support. This is really about poor management choices v consumer power. GL[/quote]

I''m not sure they would sell out but nobody can say either way. And I think us ST Holders are spoilt compared to the casuals. Like I said, for many it''s half price!

I''m a season ticket holder in the lower Barclay and have had a season ticket since I was 9 (13 years) and in the past I have done full seasons going to EVERY game, home/away/cup games included.

I have a mortgage to pay for now and a child on the way, if I choose not to spend another £60 on tickets (I take my other half to cup games) and £20-30 on travel/food then that is my decision.

If it was £10 a ticket I''d consider it but I can use all that money in much more useful ways.

Season ticket holder in the Lower Barclay and I''m not going.  I had 2 choices. Spend £30 on the spud reserve game or save up for the Reading away trip which is going to cost a £35 ish for the ticket then travel and beers on top. Simply could not afford both but if anyone fancy buying me a ticket for the cup game I will happily go.

Will we make more money on higher prices with lower crowds?

Some assumptions so here goes: -

Tickets sold for Spurs could be around 17000 if Spurs have sold their allocation and looking at the numbers of unsold seats in the home areas. I’ve taken a punt at the split of prices/split of tickets sold: -

13,000 are at £30 - £390,000
2,000 are at £20 - £40,000
1,000 are at £15 -£15,000
1,000 are at £5 - £5,000

Total £450,000

We’ve “lost” 10,000 tickets sales, (say an price split 7500/1500/500/500), equating to potential revenue of £265,000. I’ve no idea what walk ups will be so of course this could improve the sales.

If we had say charged £20/£15/£10/£5 and sold out

20500 at £20 = £410,000
3500 at £15 = £52,500
1500 at £10 = £15,000
1500 at £5 = £7500

The total receipts could have been £485,000 but that’s assuming we would have sold out which is probably unlikely.

What about a decent crowd at lower prices? We still get slightly lower receipts (£433,750) with 24,000 assuming we miss out of on 3000 ticket sales (split 2000/500/250/250) broken down as follows

18500 at £20 = £370,000
3000 at £15 = £45,000
1250 at £10 = £12,500
1250 at £5 = £6250

But with a bigger crowd we could well have higher incidental sales such as corporate, programs, pies and teas, club shop, pints of beer all of which goes directly do NCFC as opposed to being split.

We’ll still have the same costs of staging the game as all the stands are open.

So it looks like we may well make more money though smaller crowds and higher prices but I doubt there will be that much in it.

But the money coming in should only be part of the story. The REAL point is that if we win we are two games from Wembley. Modern Premiership clubs may see cup competitions as a chore. I don''t and I relish the once in a generation chance to actually win a bit of silverware. A packed Carrow Road roaring the team on would increase our chances against Spurs and if a large part of that crowd is kids on a half term night out who have paid bugger all, fine.

Mungo "Book Larnin" Bumpkin

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

But the money coming in should only be part of the story. The REAL point is that if we win we are two games from Wembley. Modern Premiership clubs may see cup competitions as a chore. I don''t and I relish the once in a generation chance to actually win a bit of silverware. A packed Carrow Road roaring the team on would increase our chances against Spurs and if a large part of that crowd is kids on a half term night out who have paid bugger all, fine.

Mungo "Book Larnin" Bumpkin

[/quote]

... but do we really want to get to Wembley with the distraction to players and loss of Prem points as they ''save'' themselves for a final. If we get there I really would worry about our Prem status.

Absolutely! What is the point of football, when all is said and done if it isn''t to win a competition every now and again. Striving to be the 17th best team in a league of 20 year after year seems dull and pointless

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Absolutely! What is the point of football, when all is said and done if it isn''t to win a competition every now and again. Striving to be the 17th best team in a league of 20 year after year seems dull and pointless[/quote]

Well, personally as an exile I''d rather stay in the Prem and be able to watch all Norwich games on the WWW, home and abroad.  The Cup will take us down.

Do people remember "when Dave went up to lift the Milk Cup!" or that we got relegated? For me, it''s the Wembley day out and the friendly final all the way.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"]I''m a season ticket holder in the lower Barclay and have had a season ticket since I was 9 (13 years) and in the past I have done full seasons going to EVERY game, home/away/cup games included. I have a mortgage to pay for now and a child on the way, if I choose not to spend another £60 on tickets (I take my other half to cup games) and £20-30 on travel/food then that is my decision. If it was £10 a ticket I''d consider it but I can use all that money in much more useful ways.[/quote]

Exactly. It''s all a question of priorities. Whe''re not all being paid £1M per year.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Absolutely! What is the point of football, when all is said and done if it isn''t to win a competition every now and again. Striving to be the 17th best team in a league of 20 year after year seems dull and pointless[/quote]

Well, personally as an exile I''d rather stay in the Prem and be able to watch all Norwich games on the WWW, home and abroad.  The Cup will take us down.

[/quote]

The Cup will keep us up.

Just had a look at the on line ticketing and there are loads of seats available especially in the Barclay and River End. I`m a season ticket holder I went to Villa and I am going to Reading, cant afford 30 quid for tomorrow. What is the point of a half empty ground, who benefits, reduced in ground sales and crucialy reduced crowd support for the team. Dont know how they calculate the pricing for these games and it appears that many clubs seem to accept low attendance, but we are Norwich and should expect a big crowd for all games, cos thats the way we are, so it is blatent mismanagement of the pricing of tickets if it results in a half empty ground tomorrow, what is the point?

Nutty, I cannot attend tomorrow but I doubt if i would have gone.

Judging by the results tonight it does seem if this comp is still a bit of a joke. As stated earlier, it will be interesting to see the attendances tonight and tomorrow.

Finally it was mentioned about the year we won this cup but got relegated I was at Wembley but I would much rather have lost and not got relegated..... I''m funny that way :-)

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nutty, I cannot attend tomorrow but I doubt if i would have gone. Judging by the results tonight it does seem if this comp is still a bit of a joke. As stated earlier, it will be interesting to see the attendances tonight and tomorrow. Finally it was mentioned about the year we won this cup but got relegated I was at Wembley but I would much rather have lost and not got relegated..... I''m funny that way :-)[/quote]

I think if I could have chosen at the time I would have forgone the cup win in favour of staying up. But it''s only later when so much water has gone uder Carrow Bridge that you realise how much the cup win meant. And just think if  "Thatcher and the Bindippers" hadn''t stopped us getting our European reward!

I just watched the Arse game and it was awesome entertainment. Just imagine if that had been our game. That''s the thing with football, you never know if it''s worth it ''til after you''ve bought the ticket.

Winning the League - Milk -Cup in 1985 was a day that will be etched on every person that went there.    The occasions when we were at Wembley in 1973 and 75  and the play off final in Cardiff, were fantastic days out, but the win in 1985 just stands out in the scheme of things.     Promotions, lesser cup runs, Europe cup runs - all fantastic, but to actually win a cup - that is something to really go for.    No one knows how the league may go, its not a given that winning the cup would mean league form suffer - it can happen - but so can the opposite - it can help league form.  

But it does mean that the whole squad will be needed if we are to progress in all competitions.   Calling a team of squad members a reserve team is actually pretty insulting.    If you look at the team we could put out - it would be a team that could easily have been picked as a first team last season - and even this season.  

Its down to the attitude of the players.  If they regard it as a way of putting themselves in a good light so they are picked for a league game  - that is selfish and detrimental to the team (MK Dons comes to mind - players trying too hard too impress and teamwork suffering).   If they take it seriously and get the attitude right they will do well.   It was one of Lambert''s failings last season.  Chose Holt against wba, then left him out against leicester.  Gave out mixed messages and the team were not at the races.   

I hope whatever team is picked really treats the game for what it is - not a vehicle for showing off or getting match fitness - but a proper competitive game at which they are the first choice players. 

Come on people. Dig deep into your pockets and get behind the boys.  £30 is a lot of money, but the lads need your support so we can progress! Also if we sell 20,000 tickets that''s well over half a million pumped into the club in gate receipts - not a bad thing really?! The club has a business to run here so can''t be giving the tickets away for free.  Stop being so tight and give the lads the support they need and deserve!!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Will we make more money on higher prices with lower crowds?Some assumptions so here goes: -Tickets sold for Spurs could be around 17000 if Spurs have sold their allocation and looking at the numbers of unsold seats in the home areas. I’ve taken a punt at the split of prices/split of tickets sold: - 13,000 are at £30 - £390,0002,000 are at £20 - £40,0001,000 are at £15 -£15,0001,000 are at £5 - £5,000Total £450,000We’ve “lost” 10,000 tickets sales, (say an price split 7500/1500/500/500), equating to potential revenue of £265,000. I’ve no idea what walk ups will be so of course this could improve the sales.If we had say charged £20/£15/£10/£5 and sold out 20500 at £20 = £410,0003500 at £15 = £52,5001500 at £10 = £15,0001500 at £5 = £7500The total receipts could have been £485,000 but that’s assuming we would have sold out which is probably unlikely. What about a decent crowd at lower prices? We still get slightly lower receipts (£433,750) with 24,000 assuming we miss out of on 3000 ticket sales (split 2000/500/250/250) broken down as follows18500 at £20 = £370,0003000 at £15 = £45,0001250 at £10 = £12,5001250 at £5 = £6250But with a bigger crowd we could well have higher incidental sales such as corporate, programs, pies and teas, club shop, pints of beer all of which goes directly do NCFC as opposed to being split. We’ll still have the same costs of staging the game as all the stands are open.So it looks like we may well make more money though smaller crowds and higher prices but I doubt there will be that much in it.

[/quote]

Tim

I think you are probably right in that whether we charged £20 or £30 for this match would probably not make a huge difference to us financially and the receipts from the match would probably end up around the same level. But to a degree that is why i feel this pricing structure is so unecessary and sets an unhealthy precedent moving forward.

Games like this are games where traditionally people have taken their kids or people who don''t go regularly to Carrow Road because they work or play sport or have family commitments on saturdays go along. My concern really is that the high prices put people off and that is not good for the stability of our long term supporter base. I also think we would be much better to pretty much fill the ground than have 10,000 empty seats in terms of the atmosphere that will be generated and our chances of winning this tie. As it is I suspect the ground will be full of spurs fans and the home atmospeher tonight will be rather muted. I guess we will see tonight but i fel the atmospeher will be similar to when we played spurs in the FA Cup back about 20 years ago and the anticipated "sell out" crowd turned out to be about 16,000 (including about 6,000 spurs fans) due to high ticket prices and the game being on tv.

I also worry that the price of casual tickets will in turn be used as justification to push up the prices of season tickets again (i.e. season ticket works out at only £35 a match which is a bargain compared to casual ticket prices!) and also that for league games we will be hit with reciprocal ticket pricing when we go away. The prices being charged to stoke are embarrassing frankly and we can have no complaints if they charge us a ridiculous price to go to the Britannia. Interestingly as i live in London I often come across advertisements for West Ham match ticket offers and they are playing Stoke shortly after us and charging adults £20-£25 for tickets. Admittedly its a sky game on a Monday night but even so I think it shows more realism as to the "attraction" of a match against Stoke City. Again if I thought charging extortionate prices really made a huge differene to our financial well being I might accept it but for the number of tickets we are talking i simply don''t buy it.

Sod it, I''m going.I was meant to be back at work, but the storm on the Eastern seaboard has delayed it.After seeing the Arsenal game last night my appetite is whetted!

[quote user="morty"]Sod it, I''m going.

I was meant to be back at work, but the storm on the Eastern seaboard has delayed it.

After seeing the Arsenal game last night my appetite is whetted!
[/quote]

Norwich team announced five minutes after Morty has paid good money and got into the ground:

Rudd

Whittaker, Howson, Hoolahan, E Bennett

Lappin, J Murphy, Barnett, Butterfield

Steer, Bunn

Result: NCFC 0 Spurs 5 (nb - the referee abandoned ther game after 35 minutes to save NCFC from further punishement following a protest from the League Against Cruel Sports).

Hughton post-match comment: "This was a good time to try out one or two new ideas. I particularly wanted to see how Johnny Howson and Wes performed as a central defensive pairing, because of the extra skill they bring to that position. And Jed Steer and Mark Bunn have been knocking in the goals in training, so I thought that was worth a trial in a proper game. And I thought that shot of Jed''s that went hit a red-faced shouty man in the Jarrold who was waving an empty wallet around showed some distinct promise for the future."

I was meant to be back at work, but the storm on the Eastern seaboard has delayed it.

[/quote]

Glory hunter.[:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Glory hunter.[:P]

[/quote]

I shall be hunting glory too as I take my place with the biscuit chasers in The Morgue AKA The Geoffrey Watling City Stand!

MEGA LOL