Sign in to follow this  
hazza9

Javier Garrido

Firstly good performance today and 3 points were very welcome. Had a great debut but ever since then his performance levels have been on the decline. Personally I would rather Tierney as he offers more defensively and going forward.

Unbeaten in 4 and just picked up another clean sheet. I wouldn''t change anything. Didn''t Tierney give a pen away against Spurs?Depending on how bad Garrido''s injury is, he could be playing anyway unless Whitaker goes across again.

What did Garrido do wrong today? i thought he was solid, prevented a lot of crosses coming in from the left. He is much stronger defensively than Tierney (who i rate) and has a much better cross. I can''t see why Tierney would come in at the moment.

Garrido''s touch and control is absolutley sublime. It''s evident even in the warm ups that he is a class above most of the players we have at our disposal. once I was watching a game that they were playing and Garrido was beating Holt so badly that holt started smashing the ball at him (in a friendly way) and joined in with a different group [:D]

Tierney is faster, but Garrido has better positioning, technique and footballing intelligence. Whilst Garrido is playing as well as he has been, it''s incredibly harsh to drop him unless he performances decline or his injury forces him out. It''s a long season and Tiereney will get a chance at some point, but you shouldn''t drop players who are playing well unless it is absolutely vital to your tactical plan

Garrido has indeed made a couple of silly errors recently - there was a sloppy pass today. However, these things happen and we were lucky today that it didn''t cost us. As said above though, other than the odd lapse of concentration, he is a quality player. Tierney is a good player who I feel is more than good enough to be a premiership left back, but I don''t think he''s as good as Garrido.

If Garrido is fit he must play.

A great character as he is, Tierney has seemed a bit of a liability whenever he''s played this season.

Javier is a class above him and it would be idiocy to drop him.

OP, is this satire? Do you really think MT offers more the Garrido defensively?! Can''t see it myself, think he is very average and would like to see us bolster than position after CF in Jan

Agree with pretty much all of this, other than one misplaced pass today (which I rather think the op is basing his opinion of garrido on) he has been pretty faultless for Norwich and is a quality addition to our squad

[quote user="hazza9"]Firstly good performance today and 3 points were very welcome. Had a great debut but ever since then his performance levels have been on the decline. Personally I would rather Tierney as he offers more defensively and going forward.[/quote]

Ignoring the defensive side of things which a few others have already commented on I would have to question if Tierney does do more going forward.

Infact, I''m of the opinion that may well have been one of the main reasons for bringing in a new left back - because Tierney doesn''t do much of use when he goes forward. How often does he deliver a ball of any real quality?

I like Tierney but he is a "crash, bang, wallop" kind of player. Garrido is a bit more measured in his approach and although he doesn''t have the pace to be a real attacking threat he does know how to use the ball a bit better.

And while I''m on the subject, early signs are that Whittaker can put a decent cross in unlike Russell Martin who cannot cross the ball at all well.

[quote user="I.S."]OP, is this satire? Do you really think MT offers more the Garrido defensively?! Can''t see it myself, think he is very average and would like to see us bolster than position after CF in Jan[/quote]

Don''t get it either! Garrido is a quality defender in the Premier League. I''m afraid Tierney is a bit of a liability. Great character and good attitude but dives in recklessly too often. Drury was comfortably our best left back last season and Garrido is an improvement.

I am a fan of Tierney, but he hasn''t been the same since he got injured last season. Garrido is a much better player and absolutely should be first choice ahead of Tierney. Garrido said in the week he wants to stay beyond the end of the season (I think the unspoken part of the sentence was obviously as long as we stay up). I pray that we do have him on a permanent deal in the summer. He is a class act.

[quote user="I.S."]OP, is this satire? Do you really think MT offers more the Garrido defensively?! Can''t see it myself, think he is very average and would like to see us bolster than position after CF in Jan[/quote]

Come on, it''s not that good.

Agree that Garrido is class and is deservedly first choice.

However lets not start Tierney bashing. He was solid in the first half of last season and I seem to recall the concern on this board then was that we get an offer that was to good to refuse in the January window. Being out for half a season and short on matchtime since then is not going to help his confidence. However he is a Norwich player and when he is called upon, and he will be at some point this season possibly next Saturday, we need to get behind him. I made a similar point about Michael Turner earlier but that he needed to give us reason to get behind him. Well gradually he seems to be doing just that. Marc Tierney will need to do the same.

Also as good as Garrido is lets get the rose tinted specs off. He does make mistakes, his misplaced pass didn''t cost us yesterday but his errors have cost us before. A couple of goals against Liverpool for instance imo. His mistakes also seem to be of the heart stopping variety, but maybe one high risk pass a game is the price that has to be paid for not just hoofing it upfield incessantly.

Great three points yesterday.

OTBC

I don''t think itr''s player bashing but to say Tierney was solid in the first half of last season is definitely rose tinted specs. Tierney style of defending is not right for the PL. He goes to ground too often putting himself out of the game. Ayala was the same last season too. Hopefully Ayala will improve that part of his game during the loan spell.

Fair point Nutty. And a bad choice of words on my part, solid was certainly not a word that could be applied to our defence last season. But the point I was trying to make is that on the whole the fans were ok with Tierney in the first half of last season, he has hardly played since so don''t bash him now. So I hope you are right that it is not player bashing.

However what is good is that standards in the squad and expectations have risen such that we can have this debate now. Long may it continue.

it is an unusual trait of this board that to discuss the relative merits of two city players means that you are destroying the less able players.

We have a strong squad with competition for all places. However there is a pecking order and once player will be better than his team mate, not necessarily on all atrributes but overall - highlighting where one player is weaker than another is a discussion, not an assassination.

For me Tierney does offer a Marc Edworthy approach to being a full back, excellent going forward, with commitment and with out fear very good at defending at championship level, but overall his defensive choices and decision making can be left wanting at the top level. An excellent squad player but Garridos overall position control and use of the ball put him ahead.

If Garrido is injured or his from drops I will be more than happy to have Tierney in the team in his place, his performance on weds enough to feel comfortable that he will do a committed job but have to accept where his strengths and limitations lie.

Tierney is not a full back good enough for the Premiership in my opinion. A wholehearted 100 % player he is but with limitations. Forty yard long balls over the top down the left side are his speciality.Strong and pacey and will run all day but technically average with suspect positioning and as shown against Spurs suspect in the tackle. A good solid  Championship player but i think Premeiership football for Marc has been a step too far.

This post is clearly a joke, intended to wind up supporters who actually undertand football a little.

Tierney is passionate, but he was puncjing above his weight in the Championship. He is ok back up, but he makes rash decisions and switches off on a regular basis. I would be seriously concerened if Garrido now missed a few games, like I would be if Bassong were to get injured.

Amunisng post all the same, which still caused me to bite!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Tierney is not a full back good enough for the Premiership in my opinion. A wholehearted 100 % player he is but with limitations. Forty yard long balls over the top down the left side are his speciality.Strong and pacey and will run all day but technically average with suspect positioning and as shown against Spurs suspect in the tackle. A good solid  Championship player but i think Premeiership football for Marc has been a step too far.[/quote]

Alan Black stepped up in the 70s. Actually scored his only league goal in the top tier. A wind assisted hoof I believe..

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]

However lets not start Tierney bashing. He was solid in the first half of last season and I seem to recall the concern on this board then was that we get an offer that was to good to refuse in the January window. Being out for half a season and short on matchtime since then is not going to help his confidence. However he is a Norwich player and when he is called upon, and he will be at some point this season possibly next Saturday, we need to get behind him. I made a similar point about Michael Turner earlier but that he needed to give us reason to get behind him. Well gradually he seems to be doing just that. Marc Tierney will need to do the same.

Also as good as Garrido is lets get the rose tinted specs off. He does make mistakes, his misplaced pass didn''t cost us yesterday but his errors have cost us before. A couple of goals against Liverpool for instance imo. His mistakes also seem to be of the heart stopping variety, but maybe one high risk pass a game is the price that has to be paid for not just hoofing it upfield incessantly.

OTBC

[/quote]Excellent post [Y]  especially with your reference to ball playing defenders having an increased probability of making errors, as opposed to those who constantly hoof it up field.Isn''t it interesting how some of those who clearly do not rate Marc Tierney now, were saying how good they thought Tierney was only a year ago?  Yet another case of people wishing to fit in with the latest popular opinion here.Perhaps we should bring these boys back, as some of the posters on this thread thought that they were good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League prior to realising that we were actually going to get us relegated in 2008/09.NCFC team V''s Charlton (away) - May 3rd 2009Goalkeeper David Marshall

Defender/Right back

Jon Otsemobor

Defender/Centre back

Gary Doherty

Defender/Centre back

Jason Shackell

Defender/Centre back

Adrian Leijer

Midfielder

Darel Russell

Midfielder

Korey Smith

Midfielder

Sammy Clingan

Midfielder

Simon Lappin

Forward

David Mooney

Forward

Alan Lee

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]

OTBC

[/quote]Excellent post [Y]  especially with your reference to ball playing defenders having an increased probability of making errors, as opposed to those who constantly hoof it up field.Isn''t it interesting how some of those who clearly do not rate Marc Tierney now, were saying how good they thought Tierney was only a year ago?  Yet another case of people wishing to fit in with the latest popular opinion here.Perhaps we should bring these boys back, as some of the posters on this thread thought that they were good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League prior to realising that we were actually going to get us relegated in 2008/09.NCFC team V''s Charlton (away) - May 3rd 2009Goalkeeper David Marshall

Defender/Right back

Jon Otsemobor

Defender/Centre back

Gary Doherty

Defender/Centre back

Jason Shackell

Defender/Centre back

Adrian Leijer

Midfielder

Darel Russell

Midfielder

Korey Smith

Midfielder

Sammy Clingan

Midfielder

Simon Lappin

Forward

David Mooney

Forward

Alan Lee

[/quote]Imagine it! There were even some posters here convinced that Luke Daley and Anthony Macnamee were the solution to all our problems!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Excellent post [Y]  especially with your reference to ball playing defenders having an increased probability of making errors, as opposed to those who constantly hoof it up field.

Isn''t it interesting how some of those who clearly do not rate Marc Tierney now, were saying how good they thought Tierney was only a year ago?  Yet another case of people wishing to fit in with the latest popular opinion here.

Perhaps we should bring these boys back, as some of the posters on this thread thought that they were good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League prior to realising that we were actually going to get us relegated in 2008/09.

NCFC team V''s Charlton (away) - May 3rd 2009

Goalkeeper David Marshall

Defender/Right back Jon Otsemobor

Defender/Centre back Gary Doherty

Defender/Centre back Jason Shackell

Defender/Centre back Adrian Leijer

Midfielder Darel Russell

Midfielder Korey Smith

Midfielder Sammy Clingan

Midfielder Simon Lappin

Forward David Mooney

Forward Alan Lee

[/quote]

LOL

Is that what you meant Sussex?

if people cant differentiate between garrido being a class above and more consistent that tierney and not being the worlds first error free player or the best left back in the world or prem league then I wont waste me fingers explaining that beyond this post

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]

OTBC

Defender/Right back Jon Otsemobor

Defender/Centre back Gary Doherty

Defender/Centre back Jason Shackell

Defender/Centre back Adrian Leijer

Midfielder Darel Russell

Midfielder Korey Smith

Midfielder Sammy Clingan

Midfielder Simon Lappin

Forward David Mooney

Forward Alan Lee

[/quote]

LOL

Is that what you meant Sussex?

[/quote]As they say, if the cap fits wear it.