Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Tettey

He was superb today, winning almost every ball near him and playing some killer passes. Glad he''s moved above Howson in the pecking order as it will help his confidence and encourage Howson to up his game. Also made the goal with a rasping effort.Possible key player for the side?

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]He was superb today, winning almost every ball near him and playing some killer passes. Glad he''s moved above Howson in the pecking order as it will help his confidence and encourage Howson to up his game. Also made the goal with a rasping effort.Possible key player for the side?[/quote]Immense today, my man of the match.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Morisons Prozac"]He was superb today, winning almost every ball near him and playing some killer passes. Glad he''s moved above Howson in the pecking order as it will help his confidence and encourage Howson to up his game. Also made the goal with a rasping effort.Possible key player for the side?[/quote]Immense today, my man of the match.[/quote]I''d opt for Hoolahan, personally, but very closely followed by Tettey.

Not sure on man of the match, but was excellent at getting ''in amongst them'' -

and about time we stopped being ''in awe'' of the opposition

I think this is why I prefer a player like him over Johnson, tackling is one thing, knowing what to do with the ball once you''ve got it is another.

Did not make the game today, late kick offs are difficult, requires a hotel stop over.

However from reports Tettey had a good game. I did have my doubts but said I would be happy to eat humble pie if wrong.

Prozac the humble pie tastes good tonight. Looking forward to the Stoke game much more now. It would be great to turn Villa over next week.

OTBC

This is the central midfielder we have been waiting for. Johnson and him worked very well but for me tettey was superb today and was my motm. Yes hoops was exceptional but tettey will raise eyebrows if he continues in this vain.

Total midfield performance.

[quote user="smooth"]Total midfield performance.[/quote]Couldn''t have put it better myself, and almost entirely without Snodgrass.

He was immense today, I would say he is our Yaya Toure (Obviously meaning similar style of player and not saying he''s as good as Yaya)

Totes agree with that Gnasher.

He''s good defending, good getting forward.

Why did Barca sell him? Their transfer policy is shocking.

I was impressed when he played against Doncaster when he scored. Today he was all over the pitch and his shot made the goal. Him and Johnson in midfiels were imense and allowed us to play Hoolahan and 2 wide men

Also thought the guy was outstanding.  I spent most of the day bending the ear of a Derby fan saying Howson really needs to be dropped for this one and Fox to come in as we need to spread the ball about effectively when we get it.  My word, Tettey was like a combination of Aidy Forbes and Ian Crook :P Ran all over the place but able to pass it, move, look up and a cracking shot for our goal.  Superb!AS for the way the side was set-up i think a lot of credit goes to Hughton.  Pilks, Bennet and Hools all in the side is exactly what we needed!  I don''t for one second believe Snodgrass  to be a poor player but i haven''t really been convinced by his performances this season.  Thought both wide men today were superb and it''s now a great position to have players such as Howson, Snodgrass, Fox and Surman fighting just to make the subs bench!Great stuff!

Was I the only one who thought his first touch looked a little heavy? Despite that, great performance him and Johnson were energetic, strong and disciplined. I think that against teams that''ll look to dominate possession, Tettey and Johnson will be our first choice holders whilst against teams we want to beat (or think we can beat) Fox might come in for one of them. Our biggest problem today was that in the final 20 or so mins we were giving the ball away far too easily I feel that if Fox was in the side that wouldn''t have been as much of a problem. In summary, I''d like to see Fox in for one of them against certain teams and the Johnson/Tettey pairing should be used against the ''big'' teams.

[quote user="6088m canary"]Also thought the guy was outstanding.  I spent most of the day bending the ear of a Derby fan saying Howson really needs to be dropped for this one and Fox to come in as we need to spread the ball about effectively when we get it.  My word, Tettey was like a combination of Aidy Forbes and Ian Crook :P Ran all over the place but able to pass it, move, look up and a cracking shot for our goal.  Superb!
AS for the way the side was set-up i think a lot of credit goes to Hughton.  Pilks, Bennet and Hools all in the side is exactly what we needed!  I don''t for one second believe Snodgrass  to be a poor player but i haven''t really been convinced by his performances this season.  Thought both wide men today were superb and it''s now a great position to have players such as Howson, Snodgrass, Fox and Surman fighting just to make the subs bench!
Great stuff!
[/quote]

The system played was superb, it obviously meant that Bennett, Hoolahan and Pilks would be required to do an immense amount of work to help Holt and also Johnson and Tettey, but boy did they do that in spades!

I agree the midfield wide boys worked hard. I will say however that eb was very poor when taking on the full back, I don''t think he got single cross come off in the first half. Work rate is great, finally delivery was poor and with pilky in the second half he worked tirelessly in defence but was never an attacking threat.

It is being hyper critical, but these re areas that we can still improve, Snodgrass coming on was what we needed and probably another paces player in January can push on the other flank.

But tettey can become a crowd favourite. His outing in the cup showed why he was brought in and he outshone fox. He came in today and he did not look out of place with some of the premierships best. As the pundits on more said arsenal were poor, but we made them poor. This time we took one of our chances after another great long distance effort by tettey. Bj should take notice on his long range efforts.

We need a mixture of Benno''s pace and Snodgrass''s delivery!!

Perhaps Johnson might now worry about just hitting the target (after what happened to Mannone), you never know , as opposed to trying to put a whole in the net

Spot on Gnasher - he is in the style of Yaya Toure and Yorkshire Canary is right about his performance against Doncaster - he ran the game in the second half. He is going to be a big star here at Norwich.

Must stress first of all, that I agree wholeheartedly about the level of performance City put in on Saturday. Also, must stress that I am definately not a negative person or, one who takes the opposite view to others just to annoy or be different.

So, this is really hard to say, but having now watched the game over for a second time, I actually think that, whilst Tettey did have a very good game, he was not close to MOM or, is he anywhere near the class of Toure. Yes, he slotted in nicely, complimented the rest of the midfield/team, worked hard and had a decent shot that the keeper spilled for Holt, but I actually thought his touch wasnt great a lot of the time (as mentioned by an earlier poster) and that his passing was limited and often to players who had a man on them rather than those with options.

I''m cringing writing this just knowing I''m going to take some stick.   

For the record, my MOM candidates come from Holt, Bassong, Hoolahan and Bradley Johnson, all of whom were really excellent, with Tettey and the rest of the team all having very good games in what was a first class team performance set up by exactly the right tactics, which was the key to the way we played and result achieved.  

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Must stress first of all, that I agree wholeheartedly about the level of performance City put in on Saturday. Also, must stress that I am definately not a negative person or, one who takes the opposite view to others just to annoy or be different.

So, this is really hard to say, but having now watched the game over for a second time, I actually think that, whilst Tettey did have a very good game, he was not close to MOM or, is he anywhere near the class of Toure. Yes, he slotted in nicely, complimented the rest of the midfield/team, worked hard and had a decent shot that the keeper spilled for Holt, but I actually thought his touch wasnt great a lot of the time (as mentioned by an earlier poster) and that his passing was limited and often to players who had a man on them rather than those with options.

I''m cringing writing this just knowing I''m going to take some stick.   

For the record, my MOM candidates come from Holt, Bassong, Hoolahan and Bradley Johnson, all of whom were really excellent, with Tettey and the rest of the team all having very good games in what was a first class team performance set up by exactly the right tactics, which was the key to the way we played and result achieved.  

[/quote]
Not from me, my thoughts exactly. 

Completely disagree with the above two posters, tettey was both effective going forward and a rock in defence. He kept the outstanding Santi Cazorla quiet all game.

It is quite often flair players or goal Scorers who will get credited however there is no substitute for hard work, endurance and strength mixed in with creativity, tettey proved beyond any reasonable doubt his worth on Saturday and is a definite contender for player of the season.

If he carries on like this it''s going to be very hard to keep the big boys at bay..

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Completely disagree with the above two posters, tettey was both effective going forward and a rock in defence. He kept the outstanding Santi Cazorla quiet all game.

It is quite often flair players or goal Scorers who will get credited however there is no substitute for hard work, endurance and strength mixed in with creativity, tettey proved beyond any reasonable doubt his worth on Saturday and is a definite contender for player of the season.

If he carries on like this it''s going to be very hard to keep the big boys at bay..[/quote]
Don''t get me wrong, Tettey was great on Saturday and showed plenty of ability to nail himself as a starter. I just think his first touch is heavy and that whilst he is ambitious in his passing and shooting he sometimes needs to ground himself and just keep things simple. As I said though, defensively he was outstanding. He worked very well with Johnson in causing problems for a very gifted and creative Arsenal midfield and his energy and willingness to push forward was certainly a good thing, he and Johnson worked well as a double pivot (one going forward, one covering) in the centre of the pitch.
I''m also a little hesitant to start the POTS talk. Yes, Tettey was very, very good on Saturday and if he can perform like that for the rest of the season he''ll certainly be up there (although if Holt scores anywhere near the same amount as last year he''ll probably win it again) but that was only his second league start (and he wasn''t all that impressive against Chelsea) so I think it''s a little early to start talking about his long term plans and status when he''s only played four games (2 cup, 2 league) for Norwich.

Both views provide valid points. Tettey''s touch is quite heavy and his ball control can sometimes let him down and this is the reason he is not playing for a top team. His role is akin to Yaya but not many in the world come close to him, who defines the role of complete midfielder.

However, he was clearly told to stay tight to Cazorla and make the Spaniards influence on the game as quiet as possible. He achieved this to perfection. Off the ball he put in huge efforts tracking, blocking, and stopping the runs made by Cazorla. Added to the fantastic man-marking job carried out he ultimately applied the assist to the only goal of the game with a well-time run and shot.

He''s not the complete player but made the difference on the day both on and off the ball.

Tettey''s performance on Saturday was his best so far for us, against Doncaster he had the energy and work rate but his pass choice and execution was sometimes poor and he gave the ball away three or four times when not really under pressure. I wondered whether he just needed time to get up to speed to the English game, I think he is a player who will only get better for us and so far the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.