Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Snakepit

really wish the snakepit would give it a rest with their anti barclay singing. every single week you hear it and it does my nut in. the away fans are silent, snakepit hardly been in top voice and then all you hear is can you hear the barclay sing.

the loudest chants from the snakepit are always anti barclay ones too.

inferiority complex.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]really wish the snakepit would give it a rest with their anti barclay singing. every single week you hear it and it does my nut in. the away fans are silent, snakepit hardly been in top voice and then all you hear is can you hear the barclay sing.

inferiority complex.[/quote]

The chant normally happens when the crowd is quiet, it''s just a bit like giving your kid brother a kick in the shins and he retaliates, we love each other really.

G

The chanting from the snakepit helps the noise in the main stand.   It is a big improvement on what it used to be.  Also the good natured chanting at each other is good.    Those that are trying to turn being in the snakepit into a  "badge of honour" are losing the plot.   There is too much setting fan against fan on this board.   We are all Norwich fans and it would be good if  we just accepted each other for that.   Save the vitriol for the away fans.............

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]really wish the snakepit would give it a rest with their anti barclay singing. every single week you hear it and it does my nut in. the away fans are silent, snakepit hardly been in top voice and then all you hear is can you hear the barclay sing.

inferiority complex.[/quote]It''s not anti Barclay, it''s goading them to make some noise to get a bit of an atmosphere going, it''s nothing new, it was going on between the Barclay and the South Stand when I first started going 40 odd years ago.

You''re a big fan of thesuarus.com aren''t you Mungo?

Not that you''ll answer, you don''t appear to understand question marks,,,

[quote user="lake district canary"]The chanting from the snakepit helps the noise in the main stand.   It is a big improvement on what it used to be.  Also the good natured chanting at each other is good.    Those that are trying to turn being in the snakepit into a  "badge of honour" are losing the plot.   There is too much setting fan against fan on this board.   We are all Norwich fans and it would be good if  we just accepted each other for that.   Save the vitriol for the away fans.............

[/quote]I can''t see that anyone is trying to turn being in the snakepit into a  "badge of honour, it''s the pleb Mungo that is trying to undermine people that use the snakepit. Personally I know people that have season tickets in most areas of the ground and none of them think they are better than each other.

The Snakepit are not anti Barclay and vice versa. It''s just a bit of light hearted banter that goes on and has been for decades in other areas, long before the Snakepit existed. If you look at peoples faces during the ''We are the Snakepit/ Barclay'' stuff, everyone is grinning. There is a bloke who sits at the front right up close to the Snakepit who always joins in the spirit of the thing, even when the rest of the Barclay dont. It''s a laugh. It almost invariably happens when things are going well  on the pitch and tension levels stop. When the team have theirs backs against the wall, the two stands both pitch in together as one.

A bit upsetting that Mr Pele does not seem to know of Bertie Biggins. I thought he was a much underrated player and I believe he scored in my favourite away game of all time when we won 5-2 at Brammall Lane and played like some early incarnation of Barcelona with David Williams in the Iniesta role.

On the subject of round the ground chants I can definitely recall some toing and froing between the Barclay, South Stand and River End in the 70s and 80s. The Snakepit/Barclay interaction is nothing new at all.

Happy memories.

RP