Sign in to follow this  
kingsway

16465 crowd V's Spurs - very poor = Hopefully lesson learnt David Mcnally!

Yes, 16465 against one of Englands biggest clubs, about our most local club in the Premeirship was not good and a firm indication that Mcnasty got the prices very wrong however much the few may argue otherwise. Many fans including myself voted with their feet because £30 adult admission price to watch two virtual 2nd string teams play in a cup competition neither club really cares about whether they go through or not was very overpriced!

£20 for adults would of seen a near sell out and a better atmosphere!

Anyway fair play to Mcnasty for admitting he got the pricing wrong on Radio Norfolk last night!

For Villa I would be happy to pay £25 for adults which I feel would attract a near sell out!

Please note David Mcnally!

The crowd was swelled by a huge Spurs away following, 3,000 plus no doubt quite a few in the home areas.  So City will have had around 13,000+ home fans in attendance.

Some perspective on this; the home crowd last night was roughly 500 more than were at the Cup  games at home to Brentford in the 2009/10 season and the disaster at home to MK Dons last season.

And as for trotting out the “...every spare penny line.....”, I think at £20 at ticket for adults + concessions we may well have sold another few thousand tickets and made at least same gate money.

But from a PR point of view NCFC have got away with it. There are some new storylines to be told; we won and we have a new hero to cheer in Mark Bunn, City are on a cup run and it had to be Villa at home in the quarter final.

I’ll remember the evening we beat Spurs for all these things but also for when a large number of Norwich fans said enough is enough as regards ticket prices.

[quote user="kingsway"]

Yes, 16465 against one of Englands biggest clubs, about our most local club in the Premeirship was not good and a firm indication that Mcnasty got the prices very wrong however much the few may argue otherwise. Many fans including myself voted with their feet because £30 adult admission price to watch two virtual 2nd string teams play in a cup competition neither club really cares about whether they go through or not was very overpriced!

Anyway fair play to Mcnasty for admitting he got the pricing wrong on Radio Norfolk last night!

For Villa I would be happy to pay £25 for adults which I feel would attract a near sell out!

Idiot !!! It was a full strength Spurs team ....our reserves beat them !

BINNER

[/quote]

The thing with this competition is that it shouldn''t matter who Norwich are playing, they should (in my opinion) be the few games a season everyone can afford to go to. One good thing that Doomcaster got right was the ticketing deals he put together to build up our amazing fanbase. If you hike the ticket prices up everytime we draw a "big team" we''re not going to keep introducing people to our great club.

I didn''t go last night because on top of my monthly season ticket payment, I couldn''t justify a week''s food shopping money being spent on a cup game. Thank God I don''t have kids to take yet.

[quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

In very simple terms;

16,465 X £30 = £493,950

Near sell out @ £20 per ticket = 26,000 x £20 = £520,000

Diff = £26,050 ( lost revenue)

Relatively speaking 26k is not alot of money, so I fail to see how finacially Mcnally got it wrong. Thats also assumming £20 a ticket would have attracted a near sell out, personally I still think we would have struggled to get more then 20,000 in which financially makes £30 a ticket the correct decision. Hiking the ticket prices maybe moraly wrong, but Mcnally makes money, and last night I think he got it right.

I''m aware there are other factors that come into play such as more merchandise sales with larger crowds etc etc. but do people honestly believe we could have sold out last night? I don''t.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

In very simple terms;

16,465 X £30 = £493,950

Relatively speaking 26k is not alot of money, so I fail to see how finacially Mcnally got it wrong. Thats also assumming £20 a ticket would have attracted a near sell out, personally I still think we would have struggled to get more then 20,000 in which financially makes £30 a ticket the correct decision. Hiking the ticket prices maybe moraly wrong, but Mcnally makes money, and last night I think he got it right.

I''m aware there are other factors that come into play such as more merchandise sales with larger crowds etc etc. but do people honestly believe we could have sold out last night? I don''t.

An evening game against a top Prem club during half-term hols is a great opportunity to market match day experience to potential fans of tomorrow!

[/quote]

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Tweet from McNally:

We didn''t sell out last night with adult prices at £30, clearly, and yet our revenues were better than a sell-out and a £20 adult price.

[/quote]

The margins are small.   What does McNally want - small crowds paying more money or larger crowds paying a bit less.  Its swings and roundabouts and the difference in income wouldn''t be that great.     "Fill the ground, whatever it takes" - should be the mantra. 

Agreed ldc. I don''t care about the club making another £20k or whatever, in the grand scheme of things it''s small change, I want to see a stadium full of Norwich fans getting behind the team and wanting to come back again and again, not 10,000 empty seats and Spurs taking the piss.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Tweet from McNally:

We didn''t sell out last night with adult prices at £30, clearly, and yet our revenues were better than a sell-out and a £20 adult price.

[/quote]

The margins are small.   What does McNally want - small crowds paying more money or larger crowds paying a bit less.  Its swings and roundabouts and the difference in income wouldn''t be that great.     "Fill the ground, whatever it takes" - should be the mantra. 

[/quote]

There isn''t even a debate here. Of course lower prices and "filling the ground whatever it takes" should be the way forward. Agree completely about future fan base etc etc. I appreciate football is a business and we can see the evidence of bad finacial nouse all around us in every British league, but we are talking £10''s of thousands, not millions here. Its pennies in relative terms, and football should be a supporters game.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Tweet from McNally:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not just that, ldc. McNally has - very defensively - plucked that £20 figure from nowhere. Presumably if we had charged, say £22 for adults, or £25, it would have been worth our while.

I notice he is also asking for suggestions as to what they should charge for the next round. I have one. For the Aston Villa tie reinstate the pre-adult category so that 16-years-olds don''t have to pay whatever adult price he decides. Because these games are not just about short-term revenue. They are also about attracting in the next generation. Which in the longer run will benefit the club financially.

We had a crowd last night of probably only at the most 13,000 NCFC fans. Yet McNally and Bowkett are on record as saying there are 32,000 NCFC fans out there. Not on the evidence of last night. And certainly not if they continue with their current pricing policies.

We have been poor in cups for years.

People don''t have loads of spare money.

We already play Spurs twice a season.

It''s a Wednesday evening.

It''s a League Cup game, even less attractive than the FA cup.

All good reasons for people to not go. I went, but that''s because I won''t be able to make it to many of the November and early December games, so made sure I was home this week for both games,

If tickets were £20 we would not have been near a sell out, and someone already did the math, an extra 10k tickets sold would have only made an extra £26 thousand profit, which is nothing to a premiership club. And it''s unlikely we would have sold those extra 10k tickets anyway, for the reasons I listed above.

Like I said on a thread yesterday, if the tickets were similar to Villa''s strategy of 4 for £44, we would have come as it would have been worth filling the car with petrol to make the 4 hour drive. If we have to pay £120 for 4 tickets, suddenly not so affordable.

As mentioned above, McNally has probably just got away with it.  However when Cullen was Marketing Manager, I am sure the game would have been marketed at getting new blood into the ground, with the aim of developing the crowd base for the long term.  That is try to get people involved for the long haul, for them to invest over a longer period of time, rather than pricing the event with the short term profit focus of the Financial City for instance, which is beginning to be McNasty''s latest mantra. 

I think the single adult price of £30 was probably fair enough, but more effort could have been spent on designing heavily discounted family tickets (Villa''s 4 for £44 for instance - it was half-term and Halloween as well!) or season ticket holders bring a friend type deals as in the end the marketing team spent a lot of time and effort in the past week trying to encourage people on their contact database to attend through follow up e-mails and texts. 

I believe McNasty had already done a bit of cost benefit analysis (even if it was just the receipt of a flea in his ear from Smith & Jones) before his appearance on Snorefolk last night to "acknolwedge he got it wrong".  The cost of the time spent by the marketing team and an analysis of lost secondary spend from not having a near full house will have tipped the balance for him to make this acknowledgement, as pure gate money was not down on expectation as he tweeted.  His acknowledgement last night stemmed from these other factors, plus the loss of goodwill and the missed opportunity.   

I accept that such a strategy might have been a double edged sword if the team had been well beaten and the potential new blood decided to follow Spuds instead, but nothing ventured nothing gained.  In accoutancy terms the pricing last night was logical, but the long term impact has to be played out.  If of course we get to Wembley, all this will probably be brushed over, but cracks are appearing and I think more investment in a stronger customer focus in the marketing department to challenge the financial people is required (I speak of experience of this being of a financial background and my run-ins with marketing people in the past - added an edge to working life which is a good thing!).

Finally watching from 200 miles away on a stream, the atmosphere was sh*t which couldn''t have helped the team (the scenario that many have predicting as a result of relying too heavily on TV money).  I''m not sure what the financial reward for advancing in the competition is but surely that has to come into play in ticket pricing, especially if it''s our match that is chosen to be live on Sky.

Go halfway and charge £25? Or reinstate that pre-adult category purple mentioned. I''m sure McNally will introduce something to attract more people in against Villa. I think playing against Villa will simply bring more fans by itself, plus the fact it''s the Quarters. Hopefully we''re in a good position in the League and there''s a real feel-good factor about the place too

And remember its not just a matter of ticket receipts - the bigger the crowd the more money generated by food/drink/programme/Golden Goal ticket sales etc etc.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

In very simple terms;

16,465 X £30 = £493,950

[/quote]

I think tickets will probably be more like £15 £20, get a good crowd behind the team just to let Lambert know We are bigger than him

[quote user="York Canary"]Go halfway and charge £25? Or reinstate that pre-adult category purple mentioned. I''m sure McNally will introduce something to attract more people in against Villa. I think playing against Villa will simply bring more fans by itself, plus the fact it''s the Quarters. Hopefully we''re in a good position in the League and there''s a real feel-good factor about the place too[/quote]

I have no doubt people will be prepared to pay "normal" prices for the "Return of Lambert" match!  Might have been different if Bradford though.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]And remember its not just a matter of ticket receipts - the bigger the crowd the more money generated by food/drink/programme/Golden Goal ticket sales etc etc.[/quote]
But also, presumably, on staffing costs to cater for those extra 10,000 people, to clear up after them etc. Personally, I think £25 would have been fair last night, but I don''t think £30 was an outrage.
It''s getting the balance right. I read somewhere that the club don''t actually budget for cup run games (which makes sense as obviously you can''t predict how far you''ll go). So whilst obviously any additional money in is always a good thing, if it hasn''t been taken into then you''re not really ''losing out'' if you sell tickets cheaper. 
Especially as it''s ''only'' the league cup, I think there certainly is an argument for cheaper kids tickets. It''s not like 15 years ago when I was a young child and my Dad could take me to pretty much any game we wanted, turn up on the day and get a ticket. Nowadays, I imagine there are plenty of young children whose parents either can''t afford to get them into games, or simply can''t find the tickets to get them there because we sell out. League cup games, where the money isn''t a massive part of the budget probably can, and should, be games to bring in young kids.
Personally, I''m not fussed about adult prices. McNally said the money in wasn''t that much difference last night between a £30 a ticket, and a £20 a ticket sell out. Someone said about not being able to afford a whole week''s shopping on a game, but even if it was only £20 (which would have been too cheap in my opinion) it''s still two thirds of a week of shopping, so that''s less to do with our pricing structure and more to do simply with the cost of an additional mid week game. That can''t be helped by the club.
I''d be very surprised if you''d ever have sold out last night - a mid week League Cup game against a "big" side who most people would have expected to have played youngsters and reserve team players? I''d have been very surprised to have gotten more than 20,000 fans last night. So if the prices had have been £25 we''d have probably been making an extra 5 or 10k at most in my opinion. 
For me, with the next round being Villa, I''d be tempted to stick at £30 BUT then have a cheaper Under 16 price of, say, £15. That''d mean I don''t think we''d be ''losing'' a lot more than we got last night, but we''d probably have an extra couple of thousand in the stands.

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="Lord Horn"]And remember its not just a matter of ticket receipts - the bigger the crowd the more money generated by food/drink/programme/Golden Goal ticket sales etc etc.[/quote]

But also, presumably, on staffing costs to cater for those extra 10,000 people, to clear up after them etc. Personally, I think £25 would have been fair last night, but I don''t think £30 was an outrage.

It''s getting the balance right. I read somewhere that the club don''t actually budget for cup run games (which makes sense as obviously you can''t predict how far you''ll go). So whilst obviously any additional money in is always a good thing, if it hasn''t been taken into then you''re not really ''losing out'' if you sell tickets cheaper. 

Especially as it''s ''only'' the league cup, I think there certainly is an argument for cheaper kids tickets. It''s not like 15 years ago when I was a young child and my Dad could take me to pretty much any game we wanted, turn up on the day and get a ticket. Nowadays, I imagine there are plenty of young children whose parents either can''t afford to get them into games, or simply can''t find the tickets to get them there because we sell out. League cup games, where the money isn''t a massive part of the budget probably can, and should, be games to bring in young kids.

Personally, I''m not fussed about adult prices. McNally said the money in wasn''t that much difference last night between a £30 a ticket, and a £20 a ticket sell out. Someone said about not being able to afford a whole week''s shopping on a game, but even if it was only £20 (which would have been too cheap in my opinion) it''s still two thirds of a week of shopping, so that''s less to do with our pricing structure and more to do simply with the cost of an additional mid week game. That can''t be helped by the club.

I''d be very surprised if you''d ever have sold out last night - a mid week League Cup game against a "big" side who most people would have expected to have played youngsters and reserve team players? I''d have been very surprised to have gotten more than 20,000 fans last night. So if the prices had have been £25 we''d have probably been making an extra 5 or 10k at most in my opinion. 

For me, with the next round being Villa, I''d be tempted to stick at £30 BUT then have a cheaper Under 16 price of, say, £15. That''d mean I don''t think we''d be ''losing'' a lot more than we got last night, but we''d probably have an extra couple of thousand in the stands.

[/quote]

And who would ever anticipated us getting four consequetive home draws in a cup competition!!!!! [:D]

[quote user="shefcanary"]

As mentioned above, McNally has probably just got away with it.  However when Cullen was Marketing Manager, I am sure the game would have been marketed at getting new blood into the ground, with the aim of developing the crowd base for the long term.  That is try to get people involved for the long haul, for them to invest over a longer period of time, rather than pricing the event with the short term profit focus of the Financial City for instance, which is beginning to be McNasty''s latest mantra. 

I think the single adult price of £30 was probably fair enough, but more effort could have been spent on designing heavily discounted family tickets (Villa''s 4 for £44 for instance - it was half-term and Halloween as well!) or season ticket holders bring a friend type deals as in the end the marketing team spent a lot of time and effort in the past week trying to encourage people on their contact database to attend through follow up e-mails and texts. 

I believe McNasty had already done a bit of cost benefit analysis (even if it was just the receipt of a flea in his ear from Smith & Jones) before his appearance on Snorefolk last night to "acknolwedge he got it wrong".  The cost of the time spent by the marketing team and an analysis of lost secondary spend from not having a near full house will have tipped the balance for him to make this acknowledgement, as pure gate money was not down on expectation as he tweeted.  His acknowledgement last night stemmed from these other factors, plus the loss of goodwill and the missed opportunity.   

I accept that such a strategy might have been a double edged sword if the team had been well beaten and the potential new blood decided to follow Spuds instead, but nothing ventured nothing gained.  In accoutancy terms the pricing last night was logical, but the long term impact has to be played out.  If of course we get to Wembley, all this will probably be brushed over, but cracks are appearing and I think more investment in a stronger customer focus in the marketing department to challenge the financial people is required (I speak of experience of this being of a financial background and my run-ins with marketing people in the past - added an edge to working life which is a good thing!).

Finally watching from 200 miles away on a stream, the atmosphere was sh*t which couldn''t have helped the team (the scenario that many have predicting as a result of relying too heavily on TV money).  I''m not sure what the financial reward for advancing in the competition is but surely that has to come into play in ticket pricing, especially if it''s our match that is chosen to be live on Sky.

[/quote]

I actually don;t agree in that I think it was the £30 adult tickets that were the problem. The kids tickets were reasonable value and I know of several people who had justified the cost of going by the fact that they were taking their child and the fact it worked out at £35 for the two of them helped them forget their ticket was £30.

In my view the people who did not go last night were the 18-40 something season ticket holders who go with their mates and don;t take kids with them.

Villa is obviously a bigger game and a later round. £25 a ticket and we will sell that out.

I also struggle with McNally''s assertion that the revenues from last nights game were higher than they would have been had they sold out at £20 a ticket for adults. I may be being stupid but for me the figures just don;t add up to back up that claim.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Aggy"][quote user="Lord Horn"]And remember its not just a matter of ticket receipts - the bigger the crowd the more money generated by food/drink/programme/Golden Goal ticket sales etc etc.[/quote]

[/quote]

And who would ever anticipated us getting four consequetive home draws in a cup competition!!!!! [:D]

[/quote]Can we play at home for the final instead of Wembley?  Just to help McNally''s sums out.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Tweet from McNally:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not just that, ldc. McNally has - very defensively - plucked that £20 figure from nowhere. Presumably if we had charged, say £22 for adults, or £25, it would have been worth our while.

I notice he is also asking for suggestions as to what they should charge for the next round. I have one. For the Aston Villa tie reinstate the pre-adult category so that 16-years-olds don''t have to pay whatever adult price he decides. Because these games are not just about short-term revenue. They are also about attracting in the next generation. Which in the longer run will benefit the club financially.

We had a crowd last night of probably only at the most 13,000 NCFC fans. Yet McNally and Bowkett are on record as saying there are 32,000 NCFC fans out there. Not on the evidence of last night. And certainly not if they continue with their current pricing policies.

[/quote]

There is another purely financial argument for the prices for the Villa game (which applied equally to last night, athough as it happens we got lucky). What would give us a better chance of reaching a money-spinning semi-final and possibly even the final  -  a crowd of  under 20,000 paying £30 or £35 or a crowd of 27,000 paying less? You only have to pose the question to know the answer.

TV games are Bradford v Arsenal and Leeds v Chelsea.

Both us and Villa are playing the Saturday prior so assume we will play Tuesday 11th December 7.45 then.

Ah well Saturday''s bore draw has outweighed the return of the Prodigal Son in the TV stakes then.  All the more reason to stick with £30 at least then. 

I note the change in name e10 (FKA S10 - Sheffield long forgotten nah then?)

[quote user="e10_yellow"]Agreed ldc. I don''t care about the club making another £20k or whatever, in the grand scheme of things it''s small change, I want to see a stadium full of Norwich fans getting behind the team and wanting to come back again and again, not 10,000 empty seats and Spurs taking the piss.[/quote]Agree 100%.For the sake of squeezing a few extra quid out of the punters for a club with an income in the tens of millions the CEO got this one badly wrong.