Sign in to follow this  
Twitchy

Reading v Norwich match thread

Rubbish performance really. Defence did well enough to keep Reading out, they put a lot of decent balls into the box. We had 2 or 3 very good chances, those two headers from Pilks crosses could/should have easily gone in.

0-0 not the worst result in the world. It wasn''t a must win for us, it was for Reading.

I wouldn''t say this was a must win, another away point and a clean sheet and not in the bottom 3. OK wasn''t a great game and Hughton not making the subs sooner was frustrating, but I am not getting down by this. Other results hasn''t been too bad either.

Shocking game, but I don''t understand the logic of this being a "must win"?

Disappointed with a draw in ways, but on reflection of the performance probably just about earnt.

However, our first clean sheet away from home for several years! Huzzah!

[quote user="BWs Cat"]Very, very poor today. The game was a must win and now we have dropped 2 points....[/quote]I don''t agree. It was a must win for Reading, if we take four points off all our closest rivals we''ll be safe.Think about which dressing room will be down now.Granted it wasn''t pretty, but we did a job.

Good result but that ''performance'' was shocking! I''d be furious if I had just paid to go see...that. We desperately need more attacking quality in January!

Reading''s first clean sheet of the season - not sure Hughton''s got the hang of using substitutes.....

An away point anywhere in the Premier League is a good point.But you have to say it will be harder to win those extra two points at most other away grounds.Too much stick. Not enough twist. 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Rubbish performance really. Defence did well enough to keep Reading out, they put a lot of decent balls into the box. We had 2 or 3 very good chances, those two headers from Pilks crosses could/should have easily gone in. 0-0 not the worst result in the world. It wasn''t a must win for us, it was for Reading.[/quote]

[Y]

Our first away clean sheet in over a Century and obviously we didn''t lose.  No other positives, spineless in attack, passing dire, I feel rather deflated[:(]

I''m very sorry, Holt, you got an improved contract etc etc etc...but you''ve been given it to score headers like that. Not enough goalscorin ability I am very sorry to have to say this.

Hard work, discipline in the shape and once again Ruddy hasn''t had to pull up any trees.

We know we lack a cutting edge and can''t score goals and in this game we were very conservative. If need be CH could have made us much more attacking but he realised we couldn''t afford to lose this game.

Reading will be gutted at the draw.

Some very sloppy passing but great work ethic and application. I thought we were the better side. Good point.

This game wasn''t a must win! It was for Reading and that''s why it was important we came away with at least a point. It was pretty dull game, lacking in class, but imo we got the result here we needed today, a point away from home (and a clean sheet). Could have easily have won it in the last 20 with some nice crosses that begged to be put away.

But a point away from home to any team is a good result in this league and keeps us ticking over, great defensive, organised display against a team with real attacking threat.

On the positive side, great defending, we''re the happier of the sides with point and the results going our way. I really feel CH needs a striker in january... a GOOD striker

Hughton need to learn when to make subs, should of made some between 60-70mins when reading were going for it and becoming open at the back. And yes we needed three we lost 4 at home to west ham and qpr, its all good getting a point away when you''re getting the 3 at home.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]An away point anywhere in the Premier League is a good point.But you have to say it will be harder to win those extra two points at most other away grounds.Too much stick. Not enough twist.  [/quote]Agreed, it was a hard earned point against a comparatively weaker side.I''m a little disappointed with how Hughton set up not to lose the game, rather than allowing a little more creative quality in the team.It''s possible to still be compact defensively (which we were excellent at today) and still retain possession better going forward (which we were horrendous at), and whilst the player performances weren''t spectacular, it seems quite clear to me that the "we mustn''t concede" mindset was the cause of this.I''m feeling kind of grumbly right now, and ordinarily a point away from home is a minor celebratory occasion... :(

I''m pretty sure we will buy a striker in January, we''re keeping our heads above the water so far. As long as we can do that and than get a quality striker, than I am sure we will be OK.It''s always disappointing not getting 3pts in a game we think we should win, but it''s more important not losing to teams around you. As others have said, I think Reading we''ll feel more disappointed than us and they''ve still haven''t won a game =)

Summing up...its a point but I''m disappointed.Lacking in so many areas. I sometimes have to remind myself these are professionals. How many wayward passes were there? Initative lost in the final third due to lack of ideas/creativity... a great deal of improvement is needed... shooting, passing, especially holding on to the ball rather than aimlessly hoofing it straight to the opposition time after time...

This could have been a ''banana skin'' so I''m happy with a point. We were solid and that''s why I think Hughton was reluctant to make subs. I''m sure it would have been much different tactically if Reading had taken the lead. Well done City !!!!

Biggest thing for me atm is our wide play. Pilkington and Snodgrass been poor recently (bar Snodgrass'' delivery for a couple goals) and need dropping imo. Defensively did well again with the odd shaky moment and though i''d of taken a point beforehand I am very disappointed right now

[quote user="Gnasher"]Biggest thing for me atm is our wide play. Pilkington and Snodgrass been poor recently (bar Snodgrass'' delivery for a couple goals) and need dropping imo. Defensively did well again with the odd shaky moment and though i''d of taken a point beforehand I am very disappointed right now[/quote]maybe hughton asking them to be defensive, with two holding midfielders we''re doing fuck all with are attacking players

[quote user="Gnasher"]Biggest thing for me atm is our wide play. Pilkington and Snodgrass been poor recently (bar Snodgrass'' delivery for a couple goals) and need dropping imo. Defensively did well again with the odd shaky moment and though i''d of taken a point beforehand I am very disappointed right now[/quote]

I actually thought that Pilkington played especially well in the final minutes with some good crosses that Holt failed to convert. Overall he had a good game IMO and easily lasted 90 minutes.

Bloody hell Paul, I have to say I was expecting an entirely different response from you but pleasantly surprised to see that I agree with everything you''ve said!

Yes it was a poor performance today, but if you''re not able to win a game make sure you dont lose it... especially when it''s against a relegation rival! Plus we could easily have nicked it at the end so I can''t be too disheartened.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Summing up...its a point but I''m disappointed.Lacking in so many areas. I sometimes have to remind myself these are professionals. How many wayward passes were there? Initative lost in the final third due to lack of ideas/creativity... a great deal of improvement is needed... shooting, passing, especially holding on to the ball rather than aimlessly hoofing it straight to the opposition time after time... [/quote]A very accurate summary of our last 4 or 5 games. Results good, but could easily have been very good. Performances not so good.I agree, passes, crosses & corners are abysmal & we give to ball away too frequently & too easily simply from a lack of concentration. It''s no player in particular, they''re all  pretty guilty of it but Pilkington, Garrido, Johnson, Tettey & Snodgrass are the worst offenders.

Holt''s never really been a great header of the ball.  He quite often gets ''underneath it'' as he did today and this has been picked up on before when looking at his headering technique..................