Sign in to follow this  
Spacebadger<P> <P><P>The Badger Has Spoken<P>

When will have a settled side.

The badger was thinking the other day whilst he hid himself in the dark contemplating another year in the championship a remarkable thought.

If we take this year, apart from injuries and players in steadfast position i.e Francis, Flem (my god why?) how unsettled our team has been.

Firstly defence. Chalton in middle or LB, Drury in or not. CB, doc? shackell? RB helveg? edworthy. The only consistant player has been fleming who in my opinion shouldnt be.

Midfield. Holt and francis have more or less been first choice. But then we have a defender in helveg playing there. Safri occasionally. Jonson on right, Left? Brennan, Hucks, Bentley.

Up front? hucks? ashton? mckenzie.

A bit of a mess really. You could never say that most players know their position from one end of the season to the other.

if we picked a team tomorrow and mine would be

Green

Helveg shackell doc chalton

safri         holt

Jonson     Bentley     Hucks

Ashton

subs: ward, McVeigh, drury, McKenzie,

P.s. why has one of the best players in McVeigh been so cruelly overlooked? Mulryne i understand ''cause hes rubbish. Wee paul has been one of our best players in recent years and hes not even been given the chance. Shocking.

Anyway back to my original topic. Sorry the badger went off on a bit of a tangent there.

Lets look at last year when we won the chapionship.

Defence unchanged

Midfield flicking between 3 and 3 and 4 and 2, Mckenzie or svennson, mcveigh on left? right? brennan at all? francis or mulryne? hendo or jarvis played out of position on right midfield? rivers????

I think we can see that Worthy never seems to have a settled side or formation. Last year was better but not ideal. Sort it out.

So you wouldn''t have Francis in your team then?? Not even on the bench??? Explain that one then.

However i agree that the inconsistent team selection is partial to blame for our position in the league.

And a huge part of why we have had an inconsistent team has been down to injuries - every time it looks like we get the right formula, we lose 1, 2 or 3 of our most important and crucial players.....

What was the badger thinking!!!

Of course Damo would be there. But where to play him. In the badgers 4,2,3,1 formation i would ideally replace holt. I think Damo and we saw this last season is a good box to box runner. This years he has been playing more as an attacking midfielder. Just because hes been getting some critism for his defensive play that doesnt mean he cant do it in the right position.

Yes I agree injuries dont help but thats not the exclusive reason why the team is unsettled. Worthy is inconsistant in his selections.

What was the badger thinking!!!

Of course Damo would be there. But where to play him. In the badgers 4,2,3,1 formation i would ideally replace holt. I think Damo and we saw this last season is a good box to box runner. This years he has been playing more as an attacking midfielder. Just because hes been getting some critism for his defensive play that doesnt mean he cant do it in the right position.

Yes I agree injuries dont help but thats not the exclusive reason why the team is unsettled. Worthy is inconsistant in his selections.

[quote]And a huge part of why we have had an inconsistent team has been down to injuries - every time it looks like we get the right formula, we lose 1, 2 or 3 of our most important and crucial players.....[/quote]

I do agree Temp but the side was unsettled before injuries.  Jonson & Helveg playing then dropped after a couple of games.  Leon sub, starting, sub, starting, sub, starting.  Jonson is playing left/right?  Doc playing then apparently not fit enough.  Bentley playing then dropped for a stupid reason. 

In my opinion he should have picked what he thought was his best 11 and stuck with it for at least 5 games at the start of the season but he didn''t.

All I can say Saint Canary is that people have extremely short memories. After Helveg and Jonson put in poor performances in our first two games of the season there were bucket loads of posts on here by people calling for them to be dropped and saying that Worthy should have kept faith with the players who got us promoted.  Now apparently he should have kept faith with them for at least five games.

Fickle fans or what??

Just goes to show that Worthy is in an impossible position as far as a lot of posters on here are concerned. He''s damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t.

[quote]All I can say Saint Canary is that people have extremely short memories. After Helveg and Jonson put in poor performances in our first two games of the season there were bucket loads of posts on here ...[/quote]

All I can say Mr Rosario is that I was not one of those fans who was calling for Worthy to play the likes of Edworthy etc.  I don''t really think that giving players more than two games to settle into their NEW team is being unreasonable!  How can you fully judge someone on two performances?   

As for being fickle, my opinion on this matter has not changed at any point in the season.  You seem to be recalling comments made by other posters, not by me. 

"Just goes to show that Worthy is in an impossible position as far as a lot of posters on here are concerned. He''s damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t."

That comment is completely true.  When people discuss matters like this there is always a variance in opinions, so ultimately he is never going to be able to please everyone!  You can''t brand "a lot" of posters "fickle" or infer they will never be satisfied just because we all have different opinions.

I think a lot of its down to injury. but they are changed around because some players play better than others. also we have a small squad so we dont always have players for certain positions. e.g right back at blackburn