Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDan

Charlie Austin

What are people''s opinions on him? Should we be sending scouts to watch him? Personally I rate him and think he will be an excellent partner for Holt

Didn''t Leeds put an £8 million price tag on Snodgrass Wiz ? Mind you not saying that i want Austin but we did not pay anything like what Leeds wanted for Snodgrass.

I''ve seen Austin several times when we''ve visited friends who are Burnley season ticket holders, and tbh I''ve never been overly impressed. I think we could do better for the £ they''ll want.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Didn''t Leeds put an £8 million price tag on Snodgrass Wiz ? Mind you not saying that i want Austin but we did not pay anything like what Leeds wanted for Snodgrass.[/quote]

That they did Til, and to be fair the source is today''s Sun!

Austin is an interesting one, an exceptional talent no doubt but a player whose recent form has lead to interest from Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. He would have cost 2-3 M a little over 12 months ago, however one good season in the championship can send your value through the roof and i believe that''s what''s happening here.
Perhaps 3-4M + Morro (a striker with an average goalscoring record in the championship) could get us our man, depending on how firm the interest is from the bigger clubs.
I expect to see CMS bought in in January alongside a striker from the european leagues

Too much money and bigger clubs looking. Do I think he warrants that price... No.

Look to Europe it is that simple, tettey and garrido have shown there class and the value of European scouts.

The English leagues are too inflated.

We need two strikers our strike force for some reason is not being helped by the way we played and we are not scoring goals freely. Our midfield goals are drying up with 1 each for a few players. That is not good enough.

Roll on January, pilky, eb, hoops need to score goals to be consider a premiership player.

Hoops is doing loads but eb and pilky need to start getting on the score sheet.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Didn''t Leeds put an £8 million price tag on Snodgrass Wiz ? Mind you not saying that i want Austin but we did not pay anything like what Leeds wanted for Snodgrass.[/quote]........yes, maybe so, but the difference is that teams like liverpool are interested in austin so we have no chance of ever thinking of him. they will at least be paying him 40K per week.

having spurs and liverpool looking for strikers in their also threadbare cupboard does not help us either

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Burnley are pretty good at negotiation - didn''t they get something like £7.5m for Rodriguez? On that basis Austin must be nearer £12m.[/quote]I posted about Austin a few months back, my boss is a Burnley fan and has said £10m at least for Austin.  Kinda agree that Burnley would use this as a starting point based on JRod.

I know our scouts regularly visit Belgium so hopefully we''ll unearth a gem from Belgium who have created some amazing footballers recently.

[quote user="ellis206"]I know our scouts regularly visit Belgium so hopefully we''ll unearth a gem from Belgium who have created some amazing footballers recently.[/quote]

Perhaps that''s why PL got Benteke from our scouts advice previously

The best goalscorer in the Belgian league right now is probably Jelle Vossen so I hope we could try for him, if not him our supposed interest from Hannover Mohammed Abdellaoue saved his team by scoring 2 goals in a game where Hannover were losing 2-0 after half time and came back to win 4-2 in this game I''m watching.

Benteke looks good but think he cost about 7m so was out of our range presumably.

I think realistically we''d be looking at someone like Kenwyne Jones or Cameron Jerome at Stoke who aren''t starting but may do well beside Holt. Abdellaoue would be awesome but not sure if he''s attracting interesting from bigger clubs? Do you think the player we''ll sign will start in a 442 or just be an option from the bench as CH loves his 451. I wudnt mind seeing a pacey winger either to compete on the left

Benteke would''ve been in our range but Villa were desperate to bring in someone so they forked out the cash to bring him in on deadline day

If were really looking in Belgium then I would say bring in Yaya Soumaharo for the quick, tricky LW and Jelle Vossen for the solid consistent goalscorer

Benteke would seem to be Lambert''s life saver at the moment, I just can''t see Austin filling the same role for CH.  Then again the Hoots is not so desperate IMO.

We need a new striking option as a matter of some urgency, it''s as clear as the nose on Mick McCarthy''s face.

Spring us a New Year''s surprise Chris.

I have every faith in the man continuing his seeming 100% success rate in the transfer market and even Lambo came up with some duffs or questionables on a few accasions. I am reserving my judgement on both Vaughan and Ayala in expressing this opinion though, as well as that on Butterfield.

Given that Resnkay was I believe the poster who drew my attention to Michu in the close season before Swansea signed him I will definitely be keeping an eye on some of these players.

The thing in our favour is a striker will get games for us - whereas anyone signing for liverpool will be behind suarez

Neither Ayala or Vaughan ever got a good run going last season to prove themselves due to injuries really and this season they were loaned out and though they appear to have done well intially they have unfortunately both become injured again! I really had high hopes for Vaughan especially as he''s the pacey, energetic and technically solid kind of striker I think we need as an option, but he''s gone for the season now so has to be discounted really. I''d love to see a strong/balanced, relatively fast kind of striker with decent finishing (though every club wants one really I guess) and someone like Benteke would have been perfect. With 1 up front you really need a striker who can hold the ball and also make things happen and take the chances that come their way (sort of like Ibrahimovic when at Milan, Balotelli for Italy, Dzeko for Man City or Jelavic). I obviously don''t mean those exact players, but a player along those lines that fit the 4-5-1 and will take their chances. Holt has been incredible for us and is the obvious choice, but if he''s injured/fatigued or we need another option then a player that can fit next to him or replace him is crucial imo.The other option is obviously the out and out fast striker who can finish. Simeon has the pace, but tends to lack the composure needed in key moments and misses a fair amount of chances. He could get so many more assists if he had that bit more awareness. Even with him still here it''d be good to have another pacey option as Morison is more like Holt than Simeon. Really hope CH can pull something off in Jan to take the burden off Holt and also give him a good partner if needed. Chris Martin is wasting himself currently and needs another club and Huddersfield may bid for Vaughan in Jan if he gets fit again. Would also LOVE to see someone to compete with Pilks on the left as Surman is very hit and miss. Someone like Tom Ince or Matt Phillips would be incredible, but not sure what kind of money Blackpool will be after in January. I read somewhere that Southampton were knocked back with a £5m bid in the summer for Phillips so may be too much for us and there will be competition for his signature no doubt. Hughton seems to have a great reputation in football though and I''d hope that this would benefit us and give us an edge over other teams for some players. For example Tom Ince appears to be well guided by his father and maybe he would see Hughton as the ideal manager to work for and Norwich the right kind of place to flourish..you never know!

[quote user="CanaryDan"]What are people''s opinions on him? Should we be sending scouts to watch him? Personally I rate him and think he will be an excellent partner for Holt[/quote]

I can''t recall having seen him play. I assume you have seen him on numerous occasions.

We need someone with some sort of record of scoring goals at this level or its equivalent. That will cost money however can we afford not to spend it? Belgium does seem to be producing some very good players right now but the risk is will they meet the rigours of our faster more physical game?

Should be an interesting window this January.

We are playing a 451 to bring the hoops, we don''t really have a very strong 4 man midfield, all four need to perform on the day, if one doesn''t then we struggle. At least with the five man midfield if one drops in performance level the other four should cover this, we need goals from our wide players.

So as much as I think we need two strikers I think a wide option who is scoring for fun is needed, just feel we are missing wide players. Maybe this can wait till the summer, but with eb and pilky not scoring then there position is up for grabs.