Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Harris

lambert can't defend

wherareyou"You also have to remember Mike Walker. Was a genius with us and produced the best football this club has even seen.Went to a bigger club and only survived relegation on the final day.There is no guarantee anyone can reproduce the same results at a new club".

Walker was no genius. He had the ground work done by previous managers and simply added a bit more directness with players he had grown up with. The best football I ever saw was under Stringer.  Stringer was the lynchpin between that kept the momentum going after Bond and Brown, Walker was on the end of twenty years of development - imo.

[quote user="a1canary"]I''ll stick my neck out and say Lambert will put Villa in the top ten by the end of this season.[/quote]

Fancy £50 on that?

[quote user="Mike hunt"]A fair summary is lambert isn''t overly fussed about defending and Hughton is terrified to attack!!![/quote]

Maybe a bit extreme that, but it does seem a possibility that if PL was still here then our central defensive line-up may well have been a choice between Ward, Barnett, Bennett, Ayala with R. Martin as back-up.

On the other hand, we may have had Benteke up front to partner Grant Holt. Yummy!

There is, however, something more of the Premiership about our current set-up IMO.

I personally feel that Lambo will keep Villa afloat, but not without tears on the way. Next season will be a cruncher for him as that Holte End are an impatient lot and will demand a lot more than continued survival from their ''big'' club.

I think some of the views on Lambert are harsh. We have had two years of decay and mismanagement. He has had four or five months to try and add to a squad, get a system in place, get a style in place, get an attitude in place and all from scratch.

It was always going to take three or four windows. If you saw us against Man United you will not have recognised us from the shambles we were against you the other week. We had three footballers in the midfield and as dynamic a front three as you will see anywhere in the league up top. We''re still four or five players light, but you can see that we have a plan.

The fact our average age is 23 years shows that its a long term strategy. A few more of the quality of Benteke in January and we will fly up the table.

If the stats show that Villa can''t defend, then they also show that we aren''t exactly brilliant at attacking so far this season.What price a 0-0 draw in the quarter-final?

I don''t think it''s the fact we can''t attack, it''s just the lack of quality in taking our chances.As for Lambert, you can see what he is trying to do and they are starting to look better. He was never going to walk into Villa and instantly turn them around.

I''d be surprised if Lambert failed completely at Villa but I don''t think he realised how weak their squad is, how fickle their fans are and how big a job it is to rebuild at Premier League level.This League is tough and a bad run can see most teams down at the bottom.

A FEW more like Benteke? Blimey you are hoping! You might pull one more rabbit out of the hat, perhaps you need to look at Clubs below you for players.

Don''t forget we were in a right mess when he came here, and he had nothing to lose, his reputation was only going to go one way (and he was a massive part of the revival). At Villa I will say there are a lot of similarities.