Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Harris

lambert can't defend

almost, but not quite for me.

I took great joy in hearing friends of mine get so excited about the win, for me to take a look at the league table and see that they climbed to a massive...

third from bottom!

not to mention that if bristol win tomorrow, ipswich will be 23rd :D

I don''t think that this should be a "laugh at Lambert" thread just that it is a reality check that he did/does have his shortfalls and that Hughton isn''t and won''t be a poor substitue manager.

What lost them the game is that the owners of Villa insist that Lambert gets rid of the high earners and plays kids in their place.Defensively they look a shambles which could have been said of us for much of last season. I reckon it''s going to be a longer and harder season for Villa than it is for us.

[quote user="whoareyou"]What lost them the game is that the owners of Villa insist that Lambert gets rid of the high earners and plays kids in their place.Defensively they look a shambles which could have been said of us for much of last season. I reckon it''s going to be a longer and harder season for Villa than it is for us.[/quote]I agree.The dream final league table: Norwich City 17thAston Villa 18thSomeone else 19th (dont mind who)QP Haha 20thJust imagine it for a second.... [:D]

[quote user="whoareyou"]What lost them the game is that the owners of Villa insist that Lambert gets rid of the high earners and plays kids in their place.Defensively they look a shambles which could have been said of us for much of last season. I reckon it''s going to be a longer and harder season for Villa than it is for us.[/quote]I agree.The dream final league table: Norwich City 17thAston Villa 18thSomeone else 19th (dont mind who)QP Haha 20thJust imagine it for a second.... [:D]

I''d be very careful about laughing at Villa.

A lot of the league this year is about teams who are trying to find their feet after a managerial change or after promotion. It''s to our benefit that there are several teams in that process and that Reading and Southampton are not settling in as fast as we and Swansea did last year.

Any of these teams could go on a run and i don''t think any of them are that bad like Wolves or Bolton last year or are being torn apart from the inside like Blackburn were (although that could still happen at QPR with any luck!).

Lambert will get Villa on track, of that i am in absolutely no doubt. They are clearly struggling with inexperience at the back but that needn''t stop them getting results once he has them doing what he wants them to do and once he gives them the confidence that is his hallmark. Equally, the attacking flair that we know so well is already plain to see for anyone who watched their game against Man U today.

Baring all that in mind, making us hard to beat would seem the right thing for us to do, ensuring that we keep picking up points. I just don''t think Villa will be in any danger and i also think that one of Saints, Reading and QPR will find form and stay up, so we will need to keep improving.

Where has Villa''s attacking flair been all season other than a few goals in the League Cup in extra time???

In their previous 2 games, they didn''t have any against us, and they edged a 1 niller against a dire Sunderland.  No flair to be seen.

Maybe Villa will win their next game away at Man City?  Afterall they beat them in the cup.  They might beat Arsenal in the next game, if the gunners don''t manage to tighten up at the back?[:^)]

Villa manager Paul Lambert:

"We gave it absolutely everything, we were brilliant. I can''t fault

the team. We''ve got lots of young lads in the team and they were great.

I can''t ask for any more from them."

For God''s sake man, change the record!

We now have a system in place that works.

We were poor at the back, but then so were United. If we can pick some more quality up in January, and Lambert has already hinted at this, then a reinforced midfield will see us fly up the league.

The inevitable come back aside, there were lots of positives. Benteke, now he has settled in, will destroy defences.

[quote user="Dodds"]We now have a system in place that works.

We were poor at the back, but then so were United. If we can pick some more quality up in January, and Lambert has already hinted at this, then a reinforced midfield will see us fly up the league.

The inevitable come back aside, there were lots of positives. Benteke, now he has settled in, will destroy defences.[/quote]Losing?Benteke looks the only decent signing so far. He gets injured then Villa are in deep trouble.The others look too young and raw and may never get to build enough confidence to play in a Premier League team.I''d be more concerned about staying up if i supported Villa than City.

The system works as we look a serious threat yesterday. We were also very good against Sunderland.

We have three in midfield who can pass the ball, which helps.

Benteke, Westwood and Lowton all look very good.

Its disappointing to chuck it away, as we always seem to do against that lot, but we would have beaten 18 other teams out there last night.

I am not worried about relegation. We are down there now, but we will be nowhere near it come May. Far too much fire power and with more to come in January we will be ''reet.

Southampton and Reading are two definitely for the chop. I would love QPR to go, just because of their ridiculous spend at 180% of turnover. Sacking Hughes wont help, as a new man will want players- can a club that small afford to keep shovelling on the losses?

Daniel Finkelstein in the Times uses longterm statistical analysis to understand football and he recently identified Villa as in long term decline and risking a relegation struggle.

His analysis was based around one factor. Year on year Villa score fewer goals. As he said, it is hard to see Villa scoring enough to stay out of trouble. I''ve seen nothing to contradict that viewpoint.

How does the previous season have impact on the possibility of a team scoring more or less goals the following term?

The variables change on a constant basis. What a nonsenaical notion.

But Dodds, he''s just said every season Villa score less, so it obviously does mean something...

Of course there is a chance you can change it, but so far its not looking good and thats with a new attack minded manager and you''re best signing being a striker while keeping Bent and Agbonlahor.

These things shouldn''t have an impact, but they do. When people have said that we don''t do well at Fulham, things like that, i''ve always thought what a load of rubbish, what does our results at Craven Cottage over the past 20 years have to do with the game today? And then we lose at Fulham again. Its just one of those things in football, these kind of ''stats'' often prove to carry on for quite a long time.

From the Villa games i have seen this season, i''ve not seen anything to suggest they are in anything but a relegation scrap and one they might well lose.There appears to be little of the Lambert spirit and endeavor that we showed when he was City manager yet they have kept the ability to ship goals at a steady rate week in week out that was a mark of his time here.

[quote user="Dodds"]How does the previous season have impact on the possibility of a team scoring more or less goals the following term?

The variables change on a constant basis. What a nonsenaical notion.[/quote]Villa are a club in decline the measure of "goals scored" is a symptom of that decline not neccesarily the cause as you aver.

Villa haven''t got the feel good factor that we had after back to back promotions when starting in the prem. Lambert will get Villa working and moving up the table. But as history shows, you must have points on the board before January otherwise they will go down. They need 20 points prior to Jan 1st 2013. 20 or more they stay up, 19 or less they drop.

I find it a bit sad and predictable that people seem so keen to talk villa down just because of Lambert.

Having said that, I''m amazed that people do think they''re going to have problems scoring or indeed staying up. Have people just forgotten the last 3 years or something? Have they forgotten that he took a bunch of championship and league 1 players and made them one of the highest scoring teams in the Premier League last season?

He is rebuilding from scratch, not from 2 years as he had been when he got us in the PL so of course it will take some time. He has a big job on his hands but i saw enough in their game v manu to remind me of our games against manu and of the progress those games showed. Any Norwich fan who saw that game and didn''t recognise Lambert''s hallmark throughout and that he is already making his mark and taking them forward has amnesia.

You also have to remember Mike Walker.Was a genius with us and produced the best football this club has even seen.Went to a bigger club and only survived relegation on the final day.There is no guarantee anyone can reproduce the same results at a new club.

Well that just shows that Walker wasn''t the genius we thought he was. He did a great job with us first time around, but was found wanting subsequently.

Lambert has proven he is a better manager than Walker was, difficult as that may be for some to hear. I was the same after we played Villa, i thought maybe PL had bitten off more than he can chew. But i think that was just wishful thinking because a lot of us would be quietly satisfied if he did fail with them. It''s just my firm opinion now, a few games on, that he will work his magic and get them firing, and that all the evidence i need of that has been plain to see since they played us.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Well that just shows that Walker wasn''t the genius we thought he was. He did a great job with us first time around, but was found wanting subsequently.

Lambert has proven he is a better manager than Walker was, difficult as that may be for some to hear. I was the same after we played Villa, i thought maybe PL had bitten off more than he can chew. But i think that was just wishful thinking because a lot of us would be quietly satisfied if he did fail with them. It''s just my firm opinion now, a few games on, that he will work his magic and get them firing, and that all the evidence i need of that has been plain to see since they played us.

[/quote]

Not many managers repeat their successes at other clubs. For me the standout will always be Cloughie. He won the league with Derby and then Forest. Two teams that would normally be a million miles from winning the league. Fergie I guess because he did so well up in Disnae Land with Aberdeen. But success at Man Utd can''t be as hard as it is at Forest let alone Forest and Derby!

Walker is interesting because he achieved great things here in a short period of time. We were already on the slide when he left. Chase gets the blame for that but Walker didn''t achieve anything of note either before or after us. Lambert created his own momentum here which carried over into last season. He has to create momentum at Villa now. If he gets them safely into mid-table this season he will have made a start.