Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

The trouble with Hughton

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I thought that yesterday''s substitutions summed up the problem we face with Hughton and Calderwood.  He seems to be totally incapable of changing a game with substitutions and so far he just replaces like with like.  Lambert and Culverhouse would regularly alter the formation week by week and win a game with substitutions but Hughton seems unwilling or unable to follow suit.  His other problem is his defensive attitude which yesterday saw our full backs hardly cross the halfway line despite the fact that we were playing the worst team in the Premier League at home.

I''ve read countless posts criticizing Holt but the fact is that he thrived on our style of play last year but is made to look very ordinary by the unadventurous style of play we are now forced to endure.

I''ve also read lots of criticism of posters who have dared to suggest that, based on results so far, we''re going to get relegated.  Well, I''m sorry, but I think it''s more a question of when we go down rather than if.    We''ve now played QPR and West Ham at home and managed 1 goal and 2 points.  And those 2 teams have produced probably the weakest performances from visiting sides we''ve seen since we returned to the top flight.
[/quote]

1. Why not add your comments to one of these threads then?

2. Why are West Ham the worst team in the PL? Logic would kind of suggest it''s Southampton.

3. Look at last season''s results. Lambert''s tactics got us 2 points from our first four games, and he had the benefit of over two years working with most of the players in the squad.

I too would have liked to see a more creative player coming on yesterday - Wes - but if we''d gambled and lost the reaction on here would be much worse. We''re fifteenth now, and I''d be happy - not ecstatic but happy - with fifteenth at the end of the season.

Hughton had laid what appears to be some solid defensive foundations in the team so far this season, which were lacking. We can build on this with the wealth of talent we have in the midfield and a mixture of proven Premier scoring ability up front in Holt, Jackson  and Morison; and potential in Kane (and just possibly Martin). It was much harder to see how we could shore up the defence with the way we played under Lambert last year (once we did start to come good up front).
[/quote]

I disagree I wanted to see exactly the same thimg , if we had lost I would have accepted the fact that we tried and failed, IMO we didnt even try to win which is far worse

Wigan and Stoke were terrible at the start of last season and we should''ve beaten them both, Chelsea were about as good as Tottenham are now and going by their points so far West Ham are at least as good as West Brom were last year.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I thought that yesterday''s substitutions summed up the problem we face with Hughton and Calderwood.  He seems to be totally incapable of changing a game with substitutions and so far he just replaces like with like.  Lambert and Culverhouse would regularly alter the formation week by week and win a game with substitutions but Hughton seems unwilling or unable to follow suit.  His other problem is his defensive attitude which yesterday saw our full backs hardly cross the halfway line despite the fact that we were playing the worst team in the Premier League at home. I''ve read countless posts criticizing Holt but the fact is that he thrived on our style of play last year but is made to look very ordinary by the unadventurous style of play we are now forced to endure.I''ve also read lots of criticism of posters who have dared to suggest that, based on results so far, we''re going to get relegated.  Well, I''m sorry, but I think it''s more a question of when we go down rather than if.    We''ve now played QPR and West Ham at home and managed 1 goal and 2 points.  And those 2 teams have produced probably the weakest performances from visiting sides we''ve seen since we returned to the top flight.[/quote]1. Why not add your comments to one of these threads then?2. Why are West Ham the worst team in the PL? Logic would kind of suggest it''s Southampton.3. Look at last season''s results. Lambert''s tactics got us 2 points from our first four games, and he had the benefit of over two years working with most of the players in the squad. I too would have liked to see a more creative player coming on yesterday - Wes - but if we''d gambled and lost the reaction on here would be much worse. We''re fifteenth now, and I''d be happy - not ecstatic but happy - with fifteenth at the end of the season.Hughton had laid what appears to be some solid defensive foundations in the team so far this season, which were lacking. We can build on this with the wealth of talent we have in the midfield and a mixture of proven Premier scoring ability up front in Holt, Jackson  and Morison; and potential in Kane (and just possibly Martin). It was much harder to see how we could shore up the defence with the way we played under Lambert last year (once we did start to come good up front).[/quote] I''m sick of people coming out with the ''2 points after four games last season''. Last yr we played Wigan, Stoke, Chelsea and West Brom. Tough games. We did not play QPR and West Ham at HOME who were both APPALLING and who we should have beaten comfortably.[/quote]i disagree i think the fixtures are similar west brom we should have beaten not been beaten and stoke we through away 2 points admittedly the ref had something to do with that sending Barnett off which could be argued was incorrect although he was last man. and at Chelsea away we probably deserved a draw but had a defensive lapse allowing Ramires to break from our corner. a defensive lapse i don''t see happening under Hughton. But i do agree we should have won our home games not because they were appalling but because we were the better side. but i think Hughton summed it up quite well in his post match press conference on motd  when he said “As long as we play with that kind of tempo and that kind of desire to create the chances, then they’ll come,”

It is funny how people skew facts to fit their argument: imo the opening four games for both this and last season are very much comparable in terms of difficulty, but it is also rather irrelevant.

We have been unfortunate not to get more out of the fixtures so far and hopefully we won''t come to regret the fact.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

Well, against QPR and again yesterday old Bor saw a team who had run out of ideas by 70 minutes, and when that happens it is for the manager to introduce some fresh legs and maybe a different tactic.  I''m not Hoolahan''s biggest fan but by goodness he couldn''t have been any worse than Howson and might have made a few things happen through the middle.  As it is we huffed and puffed but created only three good chances and didn''t convert any of those.  Disappointing all round.

[/quote]

Odd that we had three good chances in the the last 12 minutes or so.................and they call me senile.

[/quote]

Well now, "Wiz", it was only three weeks ago that I believe you started a thread called "Hughton is a coward" so it''s interesting how quickly a man can change his mind.  But here''s a couple of questions so old Bor here can figure out where you''re coming from this week:

Do you think that 0-0 against West Ham was a good result?

Do you think the only reason we failed to win was poor finishing?

[/quote]

I stand by the coward remark Bor, in context of the Fulham tactics debacle, it was justified imo, but its a measure of the man that he''s quick to adapt.

The previous manager always said ''if you can''t win then don''t lose'' we didn''t!

And if you want  to b go on about poor finishing then include Kane, Jacko,  Surman and Snoddy into the arguement, all missed good chances.

If you don''t it seems like the witchunt it already is.

[/quote]

Well now Wiz, I don''t know about any witch hunt.  I think Howson had a poor old game and should have been hauled off for Hoolahan, but if a player has a poor game then it''s down to the manager to spot that and make the changes.  I don''t reckon any of our lot will have yesterday''s game on their end of season highlight package.

I agree that a point is better than none, but on my oath I would like to have seen us win that match yesterday as we won''t get much poorer teams than that lot turning up here this season and we need to be packing them off with their tails between their legs.

West Ham played in the Stoke mold. They were physical, played a lot of hit and hoof and closed us down fast playing a high line when we tried to play from the back.

I do not believe that yesterday was a bad result and may well be seen as valuable come the end of the season.

I am seeing a lot of positives in our improved defensive play and the number of chances that we are creating. I cannot see how we can create that many chances and still be labeled as too defensive.

I feel totally relaxed about Mr Hughton and his team. Maybe it is because I have a round trip of 700 miles plus just to attend home games - all that travel on my own gives me plenty of time to get philosophical and chilled!

RP

[quote user="lake district canary"]Nuff said wrote:  "Hughton had laid what appears to be some solid defensive foundations in

the team so far this season, which were lacking. We can build on this

with the wealth of talent we have in the midfield and a mixture of

proven Premier scoring ability up front in Holt, Jackson  and Morison;

and potential in Kane (and just possibly Martin).

[Y]  [Y] - Way too sensible a comment for most people to take in on here though........This.Glass half full etc.

[/quote]

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I thought that yesterday''s substitutions summed up the problem we face with Hughton and Calderwood.  He seems to be totally incapable of changing a game with substitutions and so far he just replaces like with like.  Lambert and Culverhouse would regularly alter the formation week by week and win a game with substitutions but Hughton seems unwilling or unable to follow suit.  His other problem is his defensive attitude which yesterday saw our full backs hardly cross the halfway line despite the fact that we were playing the worst team in the Premier League at home. I''ve read countless posts criticizing Holt but the fact is that he thrived on our style of play last year but is made to look very ordinary by the unadventurous style of play we are now forced to endure.I''ve also read lots of criticism of posters who have dared to suggest that, based on results so far, we''re going to get relegated.  Well, I''m sorry, but I think it''s more a question of when we go down rather than if.    We''ve now played QPR and West Ham at home and managed 1 goal and 2 points.  And those 2 teams have produced probably the weakest performances from visiting sides we''ve seen since we returned to the top flight.[/quote]
I guess you failed to notice that had West Ham beaten us they would have been top of the Premier League.  Worst team in the league, I don''t think so.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It is funny how people skew facts to fit their argument: imo the opening four games for both this and last season are very much comparable in terms of difficulty, but it is also rather irrelevant.

We have been unfortunate not to get more out of the fixtures so far and hopefully we won''t come to regret the fact.[/quote]

You just can''t compare them in my opinion. QPR and West Ham were woeful and were at home, and we couldn''t beat them. Wigan were decent, Stoke is always tough, ask Man City, Chelsea were Chelsea and West Brom we perhaps should have won.

QPR were a fuc@@@ shambles and West Ham were pathetic up front. There''s no doubt in my mind this should have been 6 points.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I thought that yesterday''s substitutions summed up the problem we face with Hughton and Calderwood.  He seems to be totally incapable of changing a game with substitutions and so far he just replaces like with like.  Lambert and Culverhouse would regularly alter the formation week by week and win a game with substitutions but Hughton seems unwilling or unable to follow suit.  His other problem is his defensive attitude which yesterday saw our full backs hardly cross the halfway line despite the fact that we were playing the worst team in the Premier League at home.

I''ve read countless posts criticizing Holt but the fact is that he thrived on our style of play last year but is made to look very ordinary by the unadventurous style of play we are now forced to endure.

I''ve also read lots of criticism of posters who have dared to suggest that, based on results so far, we''re going to get relegated.  Well, I''m sorry, but I think it''s more a question of when we go down rather than if.    We''ve now played QPR and West Ham at home and managed 1 goal and 2 points.  And those 2 teams have produced probably the weakest performances from visiting sides we''ve seen since we returned to the top flight.
[/quote]

Your really confused, we played West Ham, Southampton are the worst team in the Premier League.

[/quote]

.. and I was thinking that Reading are.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]I thought that yesterday''s substitutions summed up the problem we face with Hughton and Calderwood.  He seems to be totally incapable of changing a game with substitutions and so far he just replaces like with like.  Lambert and Culverhouse would regularly alter the formation week by week and win a game with substitutions but Hughton seems unwilling or unable to follow suit.  His other problem is his defensive attitude which yesterday saw our full backs hardly cross the halfway line despite the fact that we were playing the worst team in the Premier League at home. I''ve read countless posts criticizing Holt but the fact is that he thrived on our style of play last year but is made to look very ordinary by the unadventurous style of play we are now forced to endure.I''ve also read lots of criticism of posters who have dared to suggest that, based on results so far, we''re going to get relegated.  Well, I''m sorry, but I think it''s more a question of when we go down rather than if.    We''ve now played QPR and West Ham at home and managed 1 goal and 2 points.  And those 2 teams have produced probably the weakest performances from visiting sides we''ve seen since we returned to the top flight.[/quote]Your really confused, we played West Ham, Southampton are the worst team in the Premier League.

[/quote]

.. and I was thinking that Reading are.

[/quote]Well we only need one more, and then we''re safe (as long as it''s not us [;)]).

[quote user="Steady On..."]Lamberts better than Hughton because we didn''t win yesterday YAWN, go and listen to some emo music with the rest of the depressives.[/quote]

Ha ha idiot