Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Reading

looked dismal this afternoon, except for a bit of gung-hoo towards the end. Was that the same Spurs side we were better than at WHL just two weeks ago?

Reasons to be cheerful?

Southampton can''t buy a point (literally) and Martinez is exhibiting an uncharacteristc negative trait atm. More reasons to be cheerful?

If we have to seek survival by default initially, as we did at first last season, then I for one am happy to see these three struggle whilst be are getting into our stride. Oh! I forgot QPR.

West Ham look poor yesterday and most teams in the league will have put them to the sword yesterday, they will rely heavily on their home form and I kind believe that Carroll can make THAT much difference to them?

I''d expect them to be down there too...together with perennial strugglers Wigan, how many seasons can they continue to seel their best players and keep surviving?

It was very one sided and Reading finished with only 2 shots on target and both those in the final minutes. Spurs should have had five or six and won at a canter. I can''t see Reading avoiding the drop on that form.

BroadstairsR, I always admire your positivity and usually agree with your postings.

Frankly a breath of fresh air from some posters on here. I often wonder what they do as a job.

They finished the game relatively strong, should have had a pen at the end, not that it mattered. There will be some inconsistency in some of these smaller clubs, don''t think they''ll be a worry.

Yes Wigan will run out of gas IMO and Martinez seems to be realising it.

Regarding the Reading game, I forgot to mention that Naughton seemed to have an unusually torrid time this afternoon. That winger seemed their best shot and Kyle resorted to foulling on at least two occasions. Perhaps the boy is missing the Norfolk air.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

looked dismal this afternoon, except for a bit of gung-hoo towards the end. Was that the same Spurs side we were better than at WHL just two weeks ago?

Reasons to be cheerful?

Southampton can''t buy a point (literally) and Martinez is exhibiting an uncharacteristc negative trait atm. More reasons to be cheerful?

If we have to seek survival by default initially, as we did at first last season, then I for one am happy to see these three struggle whilst be are getting into our stride. Oh! I forgot QPR.

[/quote]Nobody survives by default, you just have to get more points than three other teams.

Notice how full their stadium was? Where the hell did were these fans whilst they were in the championship? Windes me up that does, Stoke were the same

"Nobody survives by default, you just have to get more points than three other teams."

Just an expression, and I feel you know exactly what I mean. One bad and unworthy side stayed up last season, and it wasn''t us. 

We do have a fight on our hands this season, hopefully not a massive one. If, by instinct, we look to teams seemingly  less equipped than us for that fight, then that is only natural.  

There are those of us happy clappers who see positive signs in the way the team is playing and believe we will build on this and get better - it''s equally possible that Reading, QPR et al will also gel with time and start to get results. I don''t think any of our likely rivals are bad sides (although time may have run out for Wigan) so we can''t get complacent.

Thanks for your concern Bury Yellow, worrying about what I do as a job, I''m a gynaecologist.

Well, actually I''m not a gynaecologist, but I''ll take a look.

I think Pogbrenyak will get 10-15 this season and they''ll be 16-18th.  Today was a good example of what Spurs can do away from home which suits AVB''s system - i.e. play on the break using the pace the team has.  At home Spurs are pondrous and indecisive, as we saw. 

I have nothing but admiration for their desire to keep pushing until the final whistle......

.....Especially as I had money on BTTS! [:D] They can play like that every week if they like!

Whilst I think that both Reading and Southampton will struggle this season it''s way too early to be looking at the league table. Last season after 4 games Blackburn, Swansea and Fulham were the bottom three while Bolton were 13th and Wolves 7th.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Whilst I think that both Reading and Southampton will struggle this season it''s way too early to be looking at the league table. Last season after 4 games Blackburn, Swansea and Fulham were the bottom three while Bolton were 13th and Wolves 7th.

[/quote]

It is often the case that the teams with the poorest GD get relegated. some disagree with the way City are playing but their new resolve in defence will i believe over the course of a season mean we will survive.

H

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Hughton was appointed as the man to take us to the next level, so why are so many people saying "it''s okay, I think we''ll stay up"?[/quote]

New team, new tactics new players even JC would need a season to bed them in.

H

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Hughton was appointed as the man to take us to the next level, so why are so many people saying "it''s okay, I think we''ll stay up"?[/quote]But that IS the next level! (Significant) debt free, big increase in revenue. We *should* be able to kick on from there.

Ah! Nice one Number 9. That reminds of the time a couple of years ago when I had the burning need to change from Bury Yellow to Bury Belvoir.

That confused one or two of my female admirers!

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]I was at Carrer Rud as a fan and the Madjeski for work this weekend. We''ll be in the division above Reading next season.[/quote]

Well said Mick

Everyone knew Southampton had a good attack but woeful defence and this has proved true so far, but out of their four games they''ve played Man City, Man United, and Arsenal.

Reading don''t look they have much although look at us last year at home to Spurs, got murdered.

Way too early to judge at the moment, usual 10-game barometer, but it will more than likely be the usual suspects [us included] down there.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I think Pogbrenyak will get 10-15 this season and they''ll be 16-18th.  Today was a good example of what Spurs can do away from home which suits AVB''s system - i.e. play on the break using the pace the team has.  At home Spurs are pondrous and indecisive, as we saw. 

[/quote]

Nah, he''s just a fat Russian layabout.

Worth remembering that Reading hadn''t played a game for almost a month before yesterday - that length of time is no good for a team and Tottenham took advantage of their rustiness.

Having said that Reading probably have the weakest squad on paper - despite adding Pogbrenyak who is a good player (although not amazing) their other additions aren''t world beaters, but mostly decent Championship players.

[quote user="Bovril"]Everyone knew Southampton had a good attack but woeful defence and this has proved true so far, but out of their four games they''ve played Man City, Man United, and Arsenal. Reading don''t look they have much although look at us last year at home to Spurs, got murdered. Way too early to judge at the moment, usual 10-game barometer, but it will more than likely be the usual suspects [us included] down there.[/quote]

Whilst I''m not arguing with you Mr Bovril, it''s worth remembering that for their fourth game they were outcomprehensibly outfought by Wigan; a newly-promoted team can always raise their game (and lose) against the big boys but it''s the other games that really matter.