Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Cardiff Players?

Not sure who is left but it seems that Cardiff are struggling financially and are having to sell some players with Kavanagh joining Wigan today.   Would it be worthwhile us putting in a bid for Gabbidon for next season?

OTBC 

We could do what Tottenham have done with Huddlestone; sign Gabbidon now to join us next season. That way Cardiff would have money now and he''d be signed up before the close season when clubs start to assess their transfer targets. Think he could do a lot worse than come to us, and I''d imagine that after seeing Ashton take his chance with us, Gabbidon would see that we are a club on the up and planning for the future.

Yep, definitely worth a bid now, IMHO.  Always looked good to me.  Let''s test the water with a bid of 750k, cash now, player later.

But then again, what if he does his cruciate between now and the end of the season?  Be just our luck.......

Am I right in assuming that we can still buy players between now and the end of the season but we just can''t play them? Or are we as a Premiership club not even allowed to sign players? I can''t remember reading anything that clarifies this...

I remember a Neil Doncaster column back in the summer that talked about the transfer window. If I remember correctly there is a clause where a club can sign a player from another club if that club is in financial difficulty, however I would imagine they''d have to be in administration or worse to be considered. Cardiff aren''t in that position yet. We could bid and sign in the summer but I''d imagine they''d be a few prem clubs interested

No, not so - Everton have just signed John Ruddy, the Cambridge keeper, with £200k upfront.  He is training 2 days a week with Everton, and the rest with Cambridge and playing for them at the wekend.  He joins Everton when the window re-opens.  Cambridge are now not going to have to go into administration as a result of this deal.