Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Oi, get a bloody grip !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvxi4FDZYRs

First watch that.Then look at the date, 2009.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tablesNow look at that, have a good laugh.For crying out loud, stop pissing and moaning people. We have the best squad perhaps in the clubs history. How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker !You lot forget just how far and quickly we have come. Enjoy it and trust in the club. Hughton needs time, we cant go gut reaction blaming people.And can we for a second stop blaming our misfiring strikers ?If anyone watched the performances put in by Brad Friedel and Jussi Jaskelinen you would have seen two goalies at the top of thier game. I still cant belive Jaskelinen kept the Jackson effort out of the top corner, pure class.Have some trust people, its actually quite sad the amount of anus posted around here recently !

And this from the boss:http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_cuts_a_frustrated_figure_after_west_ham_premier_league_stalemate_1_1517818

And this from Surman:http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/andrew_surman_norwich_city_need_to_make_the_most_of_being_on_top_1_1518245

Both saying the same things that a lot of posters here are saying.But yes, everything''s great, fantastic, woo hoo. [<:o)] [<:o)] [<:o)]

I''m sure I remember Lambert saying that Surman''s nickname was Trigger, implying he wasn''t the sharpest tool in the box. But he always comes across intelligently when he speaks???

[quote user="Mister Chops"]And this from the boss:http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_cuts_a_frustrated_figure_after_west_ham_premier_league_stalemate_1_1517818

And this from Surman:http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/andrew_surman_norwich_city_need_to_make_the_most_of_being_on_top_1_1518245

Both saying the same things that a lot of posters here are saying.But yes, everything''s great, fantastic, woo hoo. [<:o)] [<:o)] [<:o)][/quote]

WooHoo Bloody miserable WooHoo!

I agree with most of it,but how many seasons can we keep using the ''look how far we''ve come'' line?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I still cant belive Jaskelinen kept the Jackson effort out of the top corner, pure class.

[/quote]I attended Judas Jaaskelinens English football debut, it seems so long ago that it''s hard to believe he''s still in the game and still capable of producing that type of quality.[:|]It''s also difficult to believe that Mike Walker didn''t receive the backing from the board for purchasing him and that as a result he ended up at Bolton for peanuts.

This time last season City had the same number of goals and one point less under PL and everybody was complaining about the lack of goals, as well as conceding a penalty in all four matches. This is a better squad which will score goals but concede far fewer. The agony then was about the lack of clean sheets, which this side seems far more capable of. Give the players a chance ffs!

[quote user="Herman "]I agree with most of it,but how many seasons can we keep using the ''look how far we''ve come'' line?[/quote]

Herman, it''s never been a trait of yours nor Mister Chops to leap aboard the negativity bandwagon...

Disappointing.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"] How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker ![/quote]The point a lot of people are making, and quite rightly, is that Grant Holt might well be delivering NOW if he had turned up at the start of the season in some sort of decent shape. His sole job through the summer is to keep himself fit for the season ahead. He''s paid handsomely for it, and has 100% failed to do that.He showed what he''s capable of last season when he lost the flab after being dropped. He looks horrendous at the moment. Slow, sat on his heels, immobile and unable to have much in the way of a meaningful impact on games. He won more or less nothing in the air yesterday. Morison came on and won pretty much every ball that was played up to him. In his first five minutes on the pitch he''d won more in the air that Holt had managed in 60 odd minutes. The apologists will point out what a hard time he gives the defenders. How Clint Hill was subbed at half time because he couldn''t handle it. What, exactly have these gargantuan efforts from our portly captain garnered? Certainly not the wins that the overall team performances warranted in the last two home games.For most people, turning up for work in state that means you''re not really fit to do your job would land you in trouble. Not only has Grant Holt done just that for the first few games of this season, but he''s done it off the back of negotiating himself a cushy new contract. If I was David McNally or Chris Hughton I''d be f**king seething.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker !

[/quote]

The point a lot of people are making, and quite rightly, is that Grant Holt might well be delivering NOW if he had turned up at the start of the season in some sort of decent shape. His sole job through the summer is to keep himself fit for the season ahead. He''s paid handsomely for it, and has 100% failed to do that.

He showed what he''s capable of last season when he lost the flab after being dropped.

He looks horrendous at the moment. Slow, sat on his heels, immobile and unable to have much in the way of a meaningful impact on games. He won more or less nothing in the air yesterday. Morison came on and won pretty much every ball that was played up to him. In his first five minutes on the pitch he''d won more in the air that Holt had managed in 60 odd minutes.

The apologists will point out what a hard time he gives the defenders. How Clint Hill was subbed at half time because he couldn''t handle it. What, exactly have these gargantuan efforts from our portly captain garnered? Certainly not the wins that the overall team performances warranted in the last two home games.

For most people, turning up for work in state that means you''re not really fit to do your job would land you in trouble. Not only has Grant Holt done just that for the first few games of this season, but he''s done it off the back of negotiating himself a cushy new contract.

If I was David McNally or Chris Hughton I''d be f**king seething.

[/quote]

Agree - I have always been a Holt fan, being of similar build myself, but a really disappointing start to the season for him. The nationals have also noticed, so it''s not just the Pink''un doom-mongerers at work.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"] How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker ![/quote]The point a lot of people are making, and quite rightly, is that Grant Holt might well be delivering NOW if he had turned up at the start of the season in some sort of decent shape. His sole job through the summer is to keep himself fit for the season ahead. He''s paid handsomely for it, and has 100% failed to do that.He showed what he''s capable of last season when he lost the flab after being dropped. He looks horrendous at the moment. Slow, sat on his heels, immobile and unable to have much in the way of a meaningful impact on games. He won more or less nothing in the air yesterday. Morison came on and won pretty much every ball that was played up to him. In his first five minutes on the pitch he''d won more in the air that Holt had managed in 60 odd minutes. The apologists will point out what a hard time he gives the defenders. How Clint Hill was subbed at half time because he couldn''t handle it. What, exactly have these gargantuan efforts from our portly captain garnered? Certainly not the wins that the overall team performances warranted in the last two home games.For most people, turning up for work in state that means you''re not really fit to do your job would land you in trouble. Not only has Grant Holt done just that for the first few games of this season, but he''s done it off the back of negotiating himself a cushy new contract. If I was David McNally or Chris Hughton I''d be f**king seething.

[/quote]

The manager picks the side after spending the midweek training with them. If Holt was not fit or his attitude was wrong he would not be in the side FFS.

H

Holt didn''t come back out of shape, every team member has to take fitness tests etc when they get back and obviously Holt was fine as he passed it, he worked very hard over pre season apparently so stop rumour mongering. Get sick and tired of people on this site speaking doom and gloom, especially when you don''t even know half of what''s going on, i am in the fortunate position that my brother in laws uncle actually works for the club as a scout and is good mates with Hughton from their time at Newcastle so i get to hear about things that are going on behind the scenes and the club is in a really good place at the moment, Hughton admitted that he couldn''t believe how good we actually were and isn''t even concerned about relegation so why are you lot?

Again in regards to Holt, he has had nothing better than a half chance so far this season so give him a break

I agree with the fact it''s still early days and there are a couple of positives...but doesn''t it feel like 2005 all over again :-(

No

In fact, a thousand times no.

I remember thinking, "if we go into this season with last year''s defence, we''ll be marmalized". it was only a miracle ( well two miracles really) that kept us in it till the last day.

We may be relegated, but I think not. But now feels utterly, totally, incomparably different to then.

There are a couple of differences with the 04-05 season in that we do have a solid defence this season and we will not be conceeding in excess of 70 goals

And in holt and morison we have not 1 but 2 strikers who can reach double figures.   What we are missing in the team generally is some pace,  which hux used to such good effect.

Spot on. But then the people who bleat on here and twitter are the same people you can bet are screaming "get it forward" every time we try to keep possession.[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]This time last season City had the same number of goals and one point less under PL and everybody was complaining about the lack of goals, as well as conceding a penalty in all four matches. This is a better squad which will score goals but concede far fewer. The agony then was about the lack of clean sheets, which this side seems far more capable of. Give the players a chance ffs![/quote]

I am very sorry, but at the moment it''s Jackson that looks like the striker who''ll get into double figures. haven''t been too impressed by Holt or Morro yet...hopefully the best is yet to come.

I agree robfleck - Jackson looked lively on sat.    But holt and morison have shown what they can do,  (my post was deliberately stated as can, not are)  at the moment they and jackson, are not.

However compared to the 2005 season we had clear concerns before the start of the season about the quality of strikers with none having previously scored 5 at that level;    

[quote user="ellis206"]Holt didn''t come back out of shape, every team member has to take fitness tests etc when they get back and obviously Holt was fine as he passed it, he worked very hard over pre season apparently so stop rumour mongering. Get sick and tired of people on this site speaking doom and gloom, especially when you don''t even know half of what''s going on, i am in the fortunate position that my brother in laws uncle actually works for the club as a scout and is good mates with Hughton from their time at Newcastle so i get to hear about things that are going on behind the scenes and the club is in a really good place at the moment, Hughton admitted that he couldn''t believe how good we actually were and isn''t even concerned about relegation so why are you lot?

Again in regards to Holt, he has had nothing better than a half chance so far this season so give him a break[/quote]I''m not rumour mongering. I''m relaying what I see with my own, perfectly functional eyes. I couldn''t give a thrupenny bit what your "contact at the club" says goes on behind the scenes.It''s not about Holt''s goal contribution. His overall play has been poor compared to the latter half of last season. He had been dropped for a length of time last season, and when he came back he was noticeably leaner and fitter. Come the new season and he looks sluggish again.

I''m struggling to remember a clear cut chance Holt has had on goal so far this season. For those saying his general play is poor did they watch the QPR game? he played as well in the first half as I ever saw him play last year personally.

Was he really that bad against west ham or was he just marked out of the game by two very strong CB? People who were complaining he kept dropping wide to receive the ball, and I agree, but personally I thought this was because he just wasn''t winning the battle when it was pumped forward for him to contest. He had a poor game because of it, but how much of that was down to his form or a really good performance by Reid in particular dealing with him.

[quote user="Monty13"]I''m struggling to remember a clear cut chance Holt has had on goal so far this season. For those saying his general play is poor did they watch the QPR game? he played as well in the first half as I ever saw him play last year personally. Was he really that bad against west ham or was he just marked out of the game by two very strong CB? People who were complaining he kept dropping wide to receive the ball, and I agree, but personally I thought this was because he just wasn''t winning the battle when it was pumped forward for him to contest. He had a poor game because of it, but how much of that was down to his form or a really good performance by Reid in particular dealing with him.[/quote]

It''s Calderwood''s influence again - like at Forest, he''s pushing Holt out wide again.  He should stay in the middle where he hurts sides. 

I agree that we have encountered two very good on-form keepers recently. That does not need to be said.

BUT we have made it easy for them on several occasions by directing the ball too near them or at them, rather than in the more difficult plces - top corner or bent in by the far post. There have also been too many blasted over the bar or placed outside the post. I suspect that Ruddy would be happier if opposing strikers were as wasteful. Last Saturday we didn''t score a single goal and we had over 20 chances!

"Last Saturday we didn''t score a single goal and we had over 20 chances!"

I hesitate to say this, but 0-0 is a scoreline that happens in football.  You get boring  0-0 draws and you get exciting 0-0 draws.   Its not something to get worked up about. 

As for the people bleating about Holt again, they are like a woman who stands in front of the mirror and sees a size 18 when she is in fact a size12.  They see what they want to see........................

[quote user="Salopian"]

I agree that we have encountered two very good on-form keepers recently. That does not need to be said.

BUT we have made it easy for them on several occasions by directing the ball too near them or at them, rather than in the more difficult plces - top corner or bent in by the far post. There have also been too many blasted over the bar or placed outside the post. I suspect that Ruddy would be happier if opposing strikers were as wasteful. Last Saturday we didn''t score a single goal and we had over 20 chances!

[/quote]

Have we made it easy on purpose?

Do you really believe what you write?

Get a grip.

I have to say that much of this seems like deja vu to me. Some people just get kicks out of complaining. CH has improved the squad over that left by PL, and that shows in the performances if not the points so far. One win and City are ahead of target. Last year Bolton gifted a win by having a player sent off and then Sunderland were beaten by a good performance at CR,

IMO, this squad can compete in this league without being phased by injuries from time to time. In over 40 years I can''t remember a City squad which could take an injury at every position and still put out a strong side, It''s a marathon, not a sprint, ffs. OTBC!

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="ellis206"]Holt didn''t come back out of shape, every team member has to take fitness tests etc when they get back and obviously Holt was fine as he passed it, he worked very hard over pre season apparently so stop rumour mongering. Get sick and tired of people on this site speaking doom and gloom, especially when you don''t even know half of what''s going on, i am in the fortunate position that my brother in laws uncle actually works for the club as a scout and is good mates with Hughton from their time at Newcastle so i get to hear about things that are going on behind the scenes and the club is in a really good place at the moment, Hughton admitted that he couldn''t believe how good we actually were and isn''t even concerned about relegation so why are you lot?

Again in regards to Holt, he has had nothing better than a half chance so far this season so give him a break[/quote]I''m not rumour mongering. I''m relaying what I see with my own, perfectly functional eyes. I couldn''t give a thrupenny bit what your "contact at the club" says goes on behind the scenes.It''s not about Holt''s goal contribution. His overall play has been poor compared to the latter half of last season. He had been dropped for a length of time last season, and when he came back he was noticeably leaner and fitter. Come the new season and he looks sluggish again. [/quote]

Don''t care if you don''t believe me but he''s currently scouting Belgium for NCFC although he''s just been linked with the Coventry job.

Back to the matter at hand, Holt hasn''t had any chances fall his way yet, not even concerned about him, we go through this same argument every year

When Holt made his debut for us, pre-season against man u before league 1, I saw this overweight sluggish forward and thought we''d got another Peter Thorne.

Then when we had the start of our championship season Holt turned up unfit, overweight and off the pace. I thought he''d lost it and that he would never cut it above league 1.

Last year he was slow to start, and I was concerned that the premier league was maybe a step too far.

I know better this time.