Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Bone - Superstar

Jordan Rhodes

''We have Vaughan available to recall in January and if he stay''s fit is a far better player than CMS.''

Not only will CMS have scored more goals than Vaughan by January, he will have undoubtedly played more games.

If Norwich were prepared to spend £2.5m on a player who seems to have spent the majority of his career in the treatment room, then £3-4m on a proven goalscorer, who is pretty much on a par with Holt and Morison for scoring goals outside the Premiership, would have been a far better gamble.

I would have been far happier moving forward with Holt, Morison , Jackson and CMS as our four striker options, two big men and two hustlers, than hang on to ''will he/won''t he?'' Vaughan, and a seriously inexperienced loanee.

Time will tell on Vaughan''s fitness. I think he has been unlucky so far and there is no reason to suppose he will not be fit in the future.

Where on earth did you get the notion that he cost £2.5 millions?  The usual figure quoted is £1.5m and that is usually regarded as having been £800,00 with add ons.   I very much doubt thta we will have been troubled by add ons so far. 

[quote user="unique"]If Norwich were prepared to spend £2.5m on a player who seems to have spent the majority of his career in the treatment room, then £3-4m on a proven goalscorer, who is pretty much on a par with Holt and Morison for scoring goals outside the Premiership, would have been a far better gamble.

I would have been far happier moving forward with Holt, Morison , Jackson and CMS as our four striker options, two big men and two hustlers, than hang on to ''will he/won''t he?'' Vaughan, and a seriously inexperienced loanee.[/quote]The point you keep missing here Unique is that even IF CMS is good enough for this level, and even IF he could score a similar amount to the likes of Holt and Moro - Brighton want a hell of a lot more money for him than either of our existing strikers cost and there doesn''t appear to be any justification for it.Moro is reported to have cost around the 2.5-2.8 mil mark, Holt was just 400k, and Jackson was around 600k, therefore their total cost is approximately the same as Brighton wanted for CMS!When they were last at CCC level, Moro, Holt and Jackson all scored more per season than CMS (CMS got 9 compared to Moro who got 15, Holt 21 and Jackson 13), and even Kane managed 7 goals in the CCC last year despite playing half the matches CMS did, so where''s the justification for the fee Brighton were asking???Managers either pay for potential or for proven performance, at 28 he doesn''t have much potential left relatively speaking, he''s never played in the top flight so is unproven, and his performance at the level below has been average at best, so I ask again - where''s the justification to pay over the odds for him?As a club we''re refusing to be held to ransom over transfer fees, and this means that if clubs like Brighton ask for ''silly'' money, we''ll simply go elsewhere and I''ve very glad this is our approach otherwise we just turn into every other club that keeps throwing money to get who they want, even if they''re not realistically worth anywhere near the price it will cost...

The only point that concerns me is Norwich avoiding relegation. With the massive increase in TV monies, relegation will be seriously bad timing for three clubs.

Pre-season suggested we needed to add to our strike force, the way the season has gone so far, has added to this belief.

All teams need to evolve and improve to maintain their Premiership status. Norwich have swapped Wilbraham and Vaughan for Martin and Kane up front, which on paper, doesn''t appear to be overly shrewd.

Norwich clearly valued CMS as they made a bid for him. How much more they would have needed to cough up, very few would know. Would he have been a good acquisition? Again, nobody knows.

But the fact that he knows where the back of the net is, and has proved that far more than any of the above four mentioned names, would to my mind have been a fair gamble, when taking in the total cost to the club were they to be relegated this season.

I was never in favour of Vaughan being brought to the club as things have turned out exactly as I thought they would. CMS would have given us far greater value for money than Vaughan is ever likely to.

[quote user="unique"]But the fact that he knows where the back of the net is, and has proved that far more than any of the above four mentioned names[/quote]I''ll give you Wilbraham, but not the rest.If we based it purely on the last season each player was in the CCC we get:Kane - 7 goals in 22 games - a 3.14 game to goal ratioMartin - 7 goals in 26 games - a 3.71 game to goal ratio (and he was in midfield for a number of games as well)Vaughan - 9 goals in 30 games - a 3.33 game to goal ratioCMS - 9 goals 45 games - a 5.0 game to goal ratioSo again explain to me why CMS is better than the other guys despite having a poorer return than they last did at the same level?Whilst CMS has undoubtedly got off to a flyer this season, he''s only ever been average at CCC level before this, and only prolific at L1 level or below, and on that basis certainly did not warrant a price in the region of 4 mill or above.I would take pretty much every single one of our existing strikers over CMS if given the choice (and if they could stay fit), and I don''t actually think that some of them are arguably good enough for this level to begin with!As you correctly say, we have no idea if CMS would have been good or not, but if we were to purely assess his potential based on previous form, age and purchase price, then I can''t see the justification for the signing at the price being demanded, and I think our board quite rightly and sensibly walked away.Let''s just hope that our existing strikers do start to come up with the goods, or this is likely to be bandied around as some sort of nonsensical argument whereby the board have completely screwed up and that CMS would have been guaranteed to keep us up whilst scoring 30 or so goals in the process......

''So again explain to me why CMS is better than the other guys despite having a poorer return than they last did at the same level?''

Vaughan is a myth - nothing more, nothing less. Ok, so he made his debut at a ridiculously young age, but if you want stats how about this:- in eight years since he started playing professionally, he has scored twenty goals. I make that less than three a year.This is a player whom some NCFC supporters still believe will rescue our season from January onwards, if needs be.

Martin has no more proved himself at Premiership level than CMS, but he needs to score twenty goals a season for the next five years to match CMS'' s goalscoring prowess - not going to happen.

Kane is a wild punt, may pay off, may not. His career has started at a much earlier age than CMS, who did not sign professionally until the age of twenty.

I would have CMS before any three of these, purely on the volume of goals scored. As Holt, Morison and Jackson have shown, scoring plenty at a lower level is a fair indication that you can score at any level, albeit at a lower rate.

If Vaughan or Martin could have been used in a swap + cash deal, then I firmly believe the gamble would have been worth it.

[quote user="unique"]Vaughan is a myth - nothing more, nothing less. Ok, so he made his debut at a ridiculously young age, but if you want stats how about this:- in eight years since he started playing professionally, he has scored twenty goals. I make that less than three a year.[/quote]How about factoring in that he''s only actually played 96 games over that 8 year span - equivalent to just 12 games a season?Vaughan has been horribly unlucky with injuries and they''ve clearly disrupted his career to a massive extent, but being honest all I''m bothered about is how he performs NOW - not 8 years ago. By that logic every single team in the prem would have been in for Michael Owen because he was great 8 years ago! (Even if I also think he''s still good enough now).Vaughan missed pretty much all of last season, but the season before that he played extremely well at Palace and had a good scoring record over a 30 game spell. He has also already scored in the top flight (albeit a couple of years ago), and is still only 24 so if he can stay injury free could have his best years to come.[quote]Martin has no more proved himself at Premiership level than CMS[/quote]Exactly my point!The difference is that we don''t value Chris Martin at around 4 million pounds!!![quote]he needs to score twenty goals a season for the next five years to match CMS'' s goalscoring prowess - not going to happen.[/quote]Surely that depends on whether or not he moves to a L1 or L2 side so that he can start banging goals in against crappy opposition...[quote]Kane is a wild punt, may pay off, may not. His career has started at a much earlier age than CMS, who did not sign professionally until the age of twenty.[/quote]What relevance does that have?We''re talking about what a player can offer our team now, not how and when they started playing professionally, and so far Kane has had a very impressive start to his career and had a better ratio than CMS did in his first ever bite at CCC level. Kane IS a gamble, but one that doesn''t cost a fortune to take compared to CMS.[quote]I would have CMS before any three of these, purely on the volume of goals scored.[/quote]But that''s volume of goals scored AT A LOWER LEAGUE LEVEL.For the last 2 years Bradley Wright-Phillips has scored well at L1 level, so by your logic he should be the ''hot ticket'' and worth a sizeable fee, NO? didn''t think so...L1 and L2 performance has little relevance on premiership ability, CCC however has some bearing and at this level he''s been average and certainly hasn''t got a massive ''volume'' of goals at a higher level.[quote]As Holt, Morison and Jackson have shown, scoring plenty at a lower level is a fair indication that you can score at any level, albeit at a lower rate.[/quote]The point you''re again missing is that they''ve all scored well at CCC level whereas the majority of CMS''s success has been at L1 or lower. I wouldn''t say he was much different from Jackson in quality however and is probably a more natural goalscorer, but he hasn''t really shown it at the higher levels and when Jackson cost 600k and he''s valued at around 4 mil there''s a clear discrepancy.To re-iterate my key point - CMS isn''t an awful player, he could potentially do ok at this level and probably isn''t any worse as a player than Jackson, Martin and Kane, but they all don''t/didn''t cost silly money. For 4 million I''d want more than a guy who''s been good at L1 level but distinctly average above this stage.Danny Graham, Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, Rickie Lambert and goodness knows exactly how many others have all performed at CCC level and earned prem moves (or gone up via promotion) and NONE of them cost the sort of money that Brighton want for CMS.Graham who scored more in one season in the CCC than CMS did in 2 (24 compared to 19) only cost 3.5 mil, and he''s slightly younger as well.The current pricetag on CMS is precisely why we walked away, as we weren''t going to be held to ransom over an unreasonable and unjustified fee for a player who hasn''t been especially impressive at the level below where we are now. The issue here is that Brighton paid over the odds to sign him in the first place - just like Liverpool did with the fee over Carroll, but the difference is that Liverpool don''t expect other teams to pay for their error - Brighton do...