Sign in to follow this  
Tj

Your favourite Norwich City memory?

What is your Favourite Norwich memory?

It could be anything, not just that best goal or winning promotion, just a personal memory which sticks.

For me it was taking my son to his first match when he was about 6 years old, it was someting I was looking forward to for a long time.

Walking to the ground with him in our Norwich shirts on a cold Tuesday night was fun and seeing his anticipation build as we got closer to the stadium. His reaction when we scored and the crowd noise was fantastic, a mixture of shock at the level of noise from where we were in the Lower Barclay and excitement of Norwich scoring.

What really makes it my favourite memory was the walk home, him bouncing up and down with excitement all the way up King Street and me trying to keep hold of him in the crowd.

Another lifelong Norwich fan on the books. Something I''ll never forget [:)] 

Taking my young son to his first City game, a pre season friendly against Charlton I think, he''d only been use to Lowestoft home games before that.

Yes, he''s a super member now and still goes to home and the odd away games when his work allows the time.

He''s now 42 btw.

A few stand out for me. Watching Hucks walk out with Delia is high up in my list but it wasnt a match situation so maybe it doesnt count? If we''re talking strictly match wise:1. Jacko''s last minute winner against Derby. Fantastic scenes right at the death. 2. Holty''s equaliser at Anfield. Most of my friends "support" the Reds. To have been lucky enough to be there made it even better.3.Benno''s winner at WHL last season. Our seats were in the lower tier. We were so close to the action that we saw the grass fly off his boot as the shot was hit! 4.Holty''s first goal against the scum at home. The way he ''hustled and bustled and harried O''dea!'' summed up our domination over the scum. 5. SCM''s goal against t''Leeds. Bit of a strange one but I''m including this because for me the goal/win all but confirmed our promotion back to the championship.

The Goss goal at Leeds. I was there that day and when all those  Leed''s fans spontaneously applauded in mutual and thorough admiration, the hairs on the back of my balls stood up.

Fabulous goal and made moreso because it was scored by a man in the yellow..

I''d probably say my favourite was the win over Bayern, especially as I''d taken grief from people about how they were going to stuff us and we were going out, being able to rub the win in their faces was priceless [:D]That being said, Gunny''s first game back at QPR after the passing of Francesca is also very memorable, the level of support and feeling that day was incredible and I honestly don''t know how he played under the circumstances, maybe not my favourite memory but certainly my most poignant Norwich memory.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

The Goss goal at Leeds. I was there that day and when all those  Leed''s fans spontaneously applauded in mutual and thorough admiration, the hairs on the back of my balls stood up.

[/quote];

Too much information mate. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/vomit-1.gif[/IMG]

Norwich vs Southampton FA Cup Quarter Final Replay March 1992, 2-1 after extra time. Electric atmosphere, had everything goal line dramas, sendings off, Flecky injured, then a late goal. EPIC!

In chronological order:

- see Chris Woods with the Milk Cup on his head, always wanted to see one of our boys do that

- being in Leppings Lane and hearing Pompey had scored with only about 4 min to go, believed we were going to win the FA Cup at that point

- Polston scoring against villa at the River End, believed we were going to win the league

- Breaking down on the M4 at 2 in the morning on the way home from Carrow Rd, and just happily going to sleep on the hard shoulder knowing Lothar and his boys had been dispatched

- listening to the radio on a Friday morning to see where our European Tour was going to take me next

- at Pompey 2011, in the pub for the Cardiff game and then to the ground to see my 60 year old disabled father dancing and cheering on the seats

PS - I was at the Southampton 1/4 Final game too, 3 things I really recall:

- hearing Ruddock''s (I think) crunching challenge by the Barclay / South Stand, half way in the defending half, I was in the River End 

- Stopped at South Mimms services on the way home, 2min later the So''ton coaches pulled in, got pelted with butter and milk cartons, before someone threatened us with knife from the canteen cutlery

- Then driving through the thickest fog for the last 120 miles home, still I''d do it all again 

The first time we became a Division One side after scrapping around in Division Three South and the like.  If you ask me, youngsters - and by that I mean anyone born after about 1980 - who support the team now have this sense of entitlement that we have this divine right to be in the top two divisions but by goodness that was a long hard slog to get there.  I know old Ron Saunders packed it in for a "bigger club" but his role in taking us and keeping us up there should never be forgotten.  We beat Swindon in April in our last home game that season and that wasn''t a great game but when that goal went in I reckon I aged about twenty years.

Norwich 3 qpr2. Last game of thecseason and denied them the championship. Proper game of football.

"The first time we became a Division One side after scrapping around in Division Three South and the like."

A memorable season, managed to get to six out of the last seven away games. Missed QPR on Easter Monday, as I went to Charlton two days before. Long journeys on Mascot coaches - coming home from the Valley freezing cold as some little scrotes had smashed the bus windows. Bloody raining as well, but god was their stand to the left of us bloody awesome.

Boro horrible, Brum it bloody snowed and I was frozen. Pompey sat on the terraces as it was warm, Orient warm night and Watford bloody raining. Didn''t have many clothes then so you noticed the ruddy weather.

Personally I would find it hard to pick one favourite as so much depended on who we were playing, how old I was etc. Man Utd away in the cup where we won 2-1, three Wembley finals, Sheff Weds away in ''82, Binners at CR in semi final ''85 and away in ''78 for many other reasons (!) - and on the pitch at Pompey in 2011, as being there in ''75 some of us had not had a ''very friendly'' welcome and it was great to do it all over again, with the bloody huge fun of trying to get on the pitch, and then hoofing a few balloons into the goal when I did ....... also being the last City fan to leave the ground, not much of a memory, or achievement but you take what you can when you can

Possibly Drury equalising against Boro in 2005, has always been my favourite player, to come back from 4-1 down was magnificent.

Jackson''s goal and the final whistle at Pompey. Unfortunately I was only watching in a pub in Canterbury, but was still a fantastic moment.

Holt''s hatrick against Ipswich.

Darren Huckerby. Just him. I don''t think fans of other clubs quite understand how much Huckerby did for us here, all clubs have players like that I suppose but the ones like Hucks who aren''t world class and/or big attention grabbers don''t stand out to toe outsiders. Watching Hucks play for our club was a privilege, we have a great team and some great players now. Under Lambert In the pervious three seasons we''ve played better football than we did when Hucks was here, which is perhaps why he stands out so much, as even with players like Ashton and Earnshaw grabbing a lot of the goals and glory Hucks was always the star man.

Gossy''s goal in Munich and celebrating with the fans in Germany!!!

Our win at Villa to go clear at the top of the PL, Polston scoring. I too believed we were going to win the league

Ekokus goalfest at Everton...ooohhh the silence while we were celebrating!

My first game , at home to Notts Forest in the 1986-1987 season...standing in the old Barclay...what a feeling!

Watford away when we won the old Div 2 Title for the first time - never likely to see 17000 or more City fans at an away game ever again.

"never likely to see 17000 or more City fans at an away game ever again"

or wandering across the pitch either

Several stand outs for me

Our 5-1 win at Ipswich

Winning promotion back to the premiership

Away days - particularly Sheffield Wednesday on the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster when we kicked off at 3.15pm

Back in the days when smoking was allowed in the stadium - we were 16 year old kids and one match we went to there was a minutes silence and one of my mates was smoking during the minutes silence and someone behind commented how discrespectful we were and queried his age!  

[quote user="Lord Horn"]Watford away when we won the old Div 2 Title for the first time - never likely to see 17000 or more City fans at an away game ever again.[/quote]

I was there too Lord H. An extremely dull 0-0 (I believe,) but it was enough. Our supporters filled the pich at full-time.

Watford High Street  was a sea of jubilent yellows in high spirits, all the way to the Bakerloo line, after that result.

The look on my father''s face when I got home and told him we had beaten Man Utd 3-0. Jan 3rd 1959Priceless.

[quote user="TheRock"]Town 1 - 5 City at full time

or probably Iwans goal vs Birmingham in 2002, despite the outcome.

[/quote]

I''d echo that, Iwan''s goal in Cardiff was incredible. I was there with the missus, my brother and his missus, my Dad and my Mum. To see them all going nuts was great. Of course the match finished as badly as a match can (I only saw the highlights of this match for the first time this year, I had my eyes closed when the Brum goal went in so it was weird to finally see it), but as far as moments go the Iwan goal is up there.

Not far behind would be getting on Talksport on the way back from Derby when we thrashed them 4-0 around 2004ish. I had had a few beers and seem to remember being on air for ages, in very high spirits. No idea who the presenters were back then.