Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

And the pundit who does...

give a penny about our chances of staying in the league is...? Anyone heard one of these B%¨&ards, talk about our club in a positive way this season?

No wonder there''s so much doom and gloom about , we live in a media driven world you know...

Currently 16th, one point above the relegation zone. No wins in 4 games. An absolute mauling at Fulham on the opening day. Despite some slightly better performances since then, we are still without a win - one of only 7 teams in the division to be winless (and of those 7, you''d expect Liverpool and Stoke to be fairly comfortable at the end of the season).

Oh, and we''re also the join lowest scorers in the division, averaging half a goal a game (2 in 4). And we''ve got the 6th worst defence in the league.

So which of those stats is making you think that the pundits are wrong so far?

Ok, our performances probably tell a more in depth story than those stats, as we''ve been unlucky not to come away with a win or two out of those games. However, performances or not, we''re not looking great at the moment. If someone wants to say we''ll struggle this season, I''m not going to start arguing with him until we start getting a few more points on the board.

[quote user="Aggy"]Currently 16th, one point above the relegation zone. No wins in 4 games. An absolute mauling at Fulham on the opening day. Despite some slightly better performances since then, we are still without a win - one of only 7 teams in the division to be winless (and of those 7, you''d expect Liverpool and Stoke to be fairly comfortable at the end of the season).

Oh, and we''re also the join lowest scorers in the division, averaging half a goal a game (2 in 4). And we''ve got the 6th worst defence in the league.

Ok, our performances probably tell a more in depth story than those stats, as we''ve been unlucky not to come away with a win or two out of those games. However, performances or not, we''re not looking great at the moment. If someone wants to say we''ll struggle this season, I''m not going to start arguing with him until we start getting a few more points on the board.[/quote]

Go and listen to some emo music and call canary call you meak little lamby

[quote user="Aggy"]Currently 16th, one point above the relegation zone. No wins in 4 games. An absolute mauling at Fulham on the opening day. Despite some slightly better performances since then, we are still without a win - one of only 7 teams in the division to be winless (and of those 7, you''d expect Liverpool and Stoke to be fairly comfortable at the end of the season).

Ok, our performances probably tell a more in depth story than those stats, as we''ve been unlucky not to come away with a win or two out of those games. However, performances or not, we''re not looking great at the moment. If someone wants to say we''ll struggle this season, I''m not going to start arguing with him until we start getting a few more points on the board.[/quote]One of "only" 7 to be winless? That''s more than a third of the league! Truly a glass half full approach.

Considering two of those 7 are Liverpool and Stoke, who will be safe at the end of the year, and 3 of the remaining 5 go down, it''s not that ridiculous is it.

Anyway, I actually think we''ll be safe, but if pundits want to write us off based on our start to the season, then I think they''re well within their rights. Other teams around us (and below us) have looked good in spells as well, bottom line is that 4 games in we''re right down in amongst it and haven''t got anywhere near enough points to be slagging off pundits who think we will be in a relegation battle!

Of course all pundits are entitled to their opinion, but you do wonder whether a lot of them are based on prejudice or ignorance (or both), rather than having seen sides actually play.

Let''s just hope we perform like we did at Spurs come Sunday, and get the result; I personally think Newcastle have been over-egged somewhat by those same pundits who are writing us off, and that Pardew just dropped lucky last season (as a couple of Geordies I know also think)

As I mentioned last Sunday, Shearer''s report (??) on our game was unnerving. His face was contorted with hate as he verbally mauled us.

What an absolute penis (small, shrivelled I would imagine)

Cheers Aggy, what an optimist, how about you give us and the new manager ten games or so before you go all half empty. But that wouldnt work, would it?

The only time I''ve given my opinion in this thread, I have said I think we''ll stay up. So what''s your point Iwan=legend?

My only gripe is with people who constantly moan about the pundits supposedly "slagging us off", when in reality, they''re just giving their opinion on what hasn''t been a great start.

You obviously put as negative spin on things as possible in order to back up your point about pundits only giving honest unbias opinions Aggy and im sure you dont see it quite so darkly. I think quite alot of the people ''slagging off'' pundits are doing so not because they predict us to lose every game or because they think we were lucky to get a point or whatever, but because often the punditry is lazy, based on popular missconceptions or generalisations. Lawro is a common target and one of the biggest culprits of this.., choose the biggest team, predict win and justify it in one paragraph as:- Mr X is a great manager and i''m sure he will have them fired up for this game. They just have too much quality for Y which will see them through. No thought given to previous meetings, little regard to recent form, injuries to anything other than a star striker, favored formations or anything else. Give a 5 year old a list of william hill odds for the weekend games and they would be able to do much the same.

I dont expect every pundit to know everything about our club, or even as much as they know about the top clubs but when I hear ''the right back there was out of position'' or great little run there on the left'' it''s kind of disrespectful as they have at least had time to look the bloody names up since the game finished.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]give a penny about our chances of staying in the league is...? Anyone heard one of these B%¨&ards, talk about our club in a positive way this season? No wonder there''s so much doom and gloom about , we live in a media driven world you know...[/quote]
And had the opening post been saying those things Son ova gunn, I would have been far less harsh. Instead, it was seemingly ''slagging off'' any pundit who doesn''t ''give a penny about our chances of staying in the league''. Now, I''ve not even mentioned the seeming absurdity of thinking that pundits should ''give a penny about our chances of staying in the league''; why would they care if they''re not Norwich fans? 
Even if we ignore that, why exactly shouldn''t pundits be writing us off this season? Based on what exactly are we supposed to be staying up comfortably this year? Spending less money than virtually everyone else in the division? Our mauling at Fulham? Our inability to win games where we''ve been the better side? Our star striker from last season seeming sluggish? The fact we haven''t won a game yet? I don''t see why pundits shouldn''t be writing us off. We think/hope we''ll get better, but if a neutral wants to write us off based on those things, then I certainly wouldn''t be calling them a "B%"&ard" for doing so...