Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

We Made More Than Enough Chances

Whatever the opinions on the set up we were overall very competitive and DID have enough chances to score.

I would have liked to have seen Pilks on to cross and Holt up with Moro as this worked for us against Newcastle last year.

Toon are defensively poor IMO.

It''s a game of opinions but again Hoot can''t do the scoring and there were chances while again looking solid.

Good game until the final 10 by Barnett and I hope Wes has done enough to keep his place in the eyes of the manager.

Exactly, so the question is, why did he take off Moro and replace with Holt?At 1-0 down, surely a better idea would have been to have them both on and got more crosses into the box?  A like-for-like sub smacked of making sure we didn''t become too open but we were already losing and Newcastle had settled for a 1-0.  Hughton needs to start being more adventurous and fast.

Played well again , lots of possession , several half chances but our strikers are not up to this level , it was as clear as day to most of the support before the window closed and it was a huge mistake not buying anybody .Our stand out result was Spurs away , WBA drew there and QPR were winning there today last time i looked , maybe Spurs just are not very good at home  . Losing away and drawing at home = relegation , where will the first win come from ? i was going down the fixture list and couldnt spot it .

Did we though? We have what commentators describe as chances in order to make the game seem more exciting.  Half chances is what we are "creating" at the moment.  West Ham the same.  I don''t think Harper can honestly say he was troubled today.  Jackson''s chance comes out of a ball bouncing about in the box, nothing really concrete to be seen.We are not playing shite however.  At times we play some nice stuff but when we get anywhere near the opponents'' box we are clueless.  Hoolahan at least can penetrate.   Oh and i''m not going to join in on the CH bashing but personally would''ve taken Howson off, dropped Hools to top of diamond with Johnson as DM and allowed Holt and Morison to get at ''em.Whilst admittedly it''s not looking great at the moment, the last thing we as a club need is the complete loss of conviction/positivity/self confidence that has seen our players over perform for the past 2 seasons at least.  It is still far far too early in the season for talk of sacking the manager etc.  Worthy of course is the worry....we definitely don''t need another version of that season. 

I''m very sorry, it is the emotion now, but it was the emotion last week too. We are going down imo Just do not have the quality up front to tur good play in wi. Anybody see this differently? Please give me arguments.

We made more than enough chances agreed - sadly we missed more than enough of them too....

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]We didn''t have lots of clear cut chances.

Tactics, formation and some poor finishing dictated that we didn''t score.[/quote]
Can you go into more detail please?

I agree rude old, I thought there were some real signs of hope today, particularly going forward.

I though wes was a shining light , he wanted the ball more than the other 4 midfielders combined, and his passing was on a par with cabaye and ben arfa, both multi million pound players. He and morison linked up well and neither deserve to be dropped.

The back 5 looked solid again although I pray for a prompt return from bassong as turner has to to give me confidence.

However I do think we had too many midfielders looking average today; Howson was too anonymous offering too little in ball winning or creativity - 451 means he has to be making runs beyond the striker; that johnson did more than he did is shocking. I am a big surman fan but while he was better than howson he did not offer enough. Pilkington should be back for me, with either fox or tettey back for Jonny.

up front the main issue is the lack of options - but we could all see that coming

As for 451 failing, we were doing well in the second half, other than the well documented cutting edge, until the subs.

Not ours - but theirs, we were having more of the midfield than they liked, hence cisse going off and them matching our 451 with obertan - thats when our game petered out.

They then put on tiote who mixed the game up and put in some tackles - johnson and howson should take note - thats what we are missing. Yes some we fouls, one or two shocking ones tbh, but he had more influence in the middle in his cameo appearance than our current duo, who appear unsubbable let alone undroppable.

"Tactics, formation and some poor finishing dictated that we didn''t score."

Looked like the same tactics and formation that worked so well last season to me. If the players don''t take the chances there isn''t a lot the manager can do. Why don''t you educate us and tell us where he went wrong.

[quote]

Looked like the same tactics and formation that worked so well last season to me. [/quote]

Just like Lambert then, but unlucky with the finishing in 4 consecutive games?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote]

Looked like the same tactics and formation that worked so well last season to me. [/quote]

Just like Lambert then, but unlucky with the finishing in 4 consecutive games?[/quote]

Kanes chance against West Ham apart, you tell me the other clear cut chances our strikers have missed? We are not creating enough but with Pilks back soon that will change, we are playing better than last year in my opinion, results will come

Absolutely spot on.  I can''t remember any clear cut chances.  Half chances are just that and just as many are created by a bouncing ball,deflected pass or other luck.  We haven''t been able to carve out any real openings ourselves.  Shots on goal do not equal clear goalscoring opportunities. 

a shot from 35yards that is goal bound and hits a defender is classed as a shot on target no?I think if we asked Harper if he was troubled he''d say no.  That is the point.

"Absolutely spot on. I can''t remember any clear cut chances. Half chances are just that and just as many are created by a bouncing ball,deflected pass or other luck. We haven''t been able to carve out any real openings ourselves. Shots on goal do not equal clear goalscoring opportunities."

You didn''t pay much attention to the game then. Hoolahan free header from 6 yards, Snodgrass free header from 8 yards and the Surman one on one. All should have scored, If they are not clear cut chances I would like to know what you think are?