Sign in to follow this  
Canary

Turner...

Having gone to Fulham away, and watched the Newcastle game online, i''ve now seen quite a few mistakes by Turner. At fulham he gave away a penalty and made a ridiculously lazy attempted to block Petric''s shot. Now he plays Ba onside for the goal today...How is he picked over Ryan Bennett? He gets on the bench ahead of Bennett, he replaces Bassong over bennett... I don''t quite see why you would deny a young player with bags of potential a place in the team and select Turner instead.Anyone at the newcastle game, was he ok the rest of the game?

[quote user="Canary"]Having gone to Fulham away, and watched the Newcastle game online, i''ve now seen quite a few mistakes by Turner. At fulham he gave away a penalty and made a ridiculously lazy attempted to block Petric''s shot. Now he plays Ba onside for the goal today...How is he picked over Ryan Bennett? He gets on the bench ahead of Bennett, he replaces Bassong over bennett... I don''t quite see why you would deny a young player with bags of potential a place in the team and select Turner instead.Anyone at the newcastle game, was he ok the rest of the game? [/quote]

Yeh,  he did ok, much improved - good interceptions and some clever passing out of defence.   Couldn''t see his position for the goal, but overall he looked solid as did Barnett.

Good to hear, as he''ll be playing while Bassong is out.I hope he will just stop making these mistakes, because they always seem to end with conceding goals...

Yeah, he was playing Ba onside for the goal but after that he was alright he made a goal-line clearance and at least one vital interception which if it hadn''t been made would''ve let one of their strikers through for 1 on 1. 
Bassong still fills me with more confidence but Turner certainly wasn''t bad today, not good, but not bad.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Canary"]Having gone to Fulham away, and watched the Newcastle game online, i''ve now seen quite a few mistakes by Turner. At fulham he gave away a penalty and made a ridiculously lazy attempted to block Petric''s shot. Now he plays Ba onside for the goal today...

How is he picked over Ryan Bennett? He gets on the bench ahead of Bennett, he replaces Bassong over bennett... I don''t quite see why you would deny a young player with bags of potential a place in the team and select Turner instead.

Anyone at the newcastle game, was he ok the rest of the game?
[/quote]

Yeh,  he did ok, much improved - good interceptions and some clever passing out of defence.   Couldn''t see his position for the goal, but overall he looked solid as did Barnett.

[/quote]

He was defending 2 yards deeper than the rest and played Ba onside for the goal. It''s called defensive indiscipline.

OTBC

Bly.

Not just indiscipline. Perhaps lack of communication across our back four. Maybe Turner is more used to playing deeper at former club sunderland and lacks gametime in our defence to play our system. Whatever reasons, we have a new line up in defence this year which will take a few games to bed in. We let in too many goals last season, so at least there are signs of improvement.

Maybe Bly, if you were at the game, at the other end of the pitch, 5 miles up in the air, you wouldn''t be so certain about that. I certainly didn''t hear anyone at the game moaning about Turner. Cisse and Ba, as well as Ben Arfa are very dangerous, you could easily say we did well to restrict them to one goal, as they weren''t playing too badly...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Maybe Bly, if you were at the game, at the other end of the pitch, 5 miles up in the air, you wouldn''t be so certain about that. I certainly didn''t hear anyone at the game moaning about Turner. Cisse and Ba, as well as Ben Arfa are very dangerous, you could easily say we did well to restrict them to one goal, as they weren''t playing too badly...[/quote]

Maybe? Look at the TV replays -  and listen through Hughton''s wall on Monday.

OTBC

I thought apart from being slow to clear the defensive area which Ba in he actually didn''t play too bad. He certainly got better as the game went on.

I do agree that I would also like to see Ryan Bennett before Turner.

Would also like to go on record and say that I thought Barnett was one of our best on the weekend.

He''s a good defender, but does require more experience and training especially on keeping a straight back line . He played Ba on side yesterday and two of the goals at Fulham were due to him dropping deeper than the rest of the back four.

All the comments being made about Turner playing Ba onside (which he did) but tell me, what was Barnett doing five yards away from the most advanced forward with nobody anywhere near him to mark?

Martin O''Neill rarely lets good players go. I don''t think he''s let a good one go this time either. turner did well at Hull - and they went down.