Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Your tributes and memories of John Bond

This is one of my saddest days in supporting Norwich City.So many great memories of his time at Carrow Road.You could reach out and touch the charisma if he was in the same room. RIP to a man who had my upmost respect and admiration as both a manager and a man.

Some people have a mark in history, make a step change to the club, Mr Bond was one who did that.

He was the manager at my first Norwich game against WBA, the first manager I grew to know!

Sadly missed and will be fondly remembered. RIP John.

RIP John, you were a great servant to our club. My thoughts go out to the family and all the people who worked closely with John.

It wasn''t just his ability and record as a manager but his legacy of players, coaches and above all a certain style of playing football.

As for memories (apart from his awful kipper ties) this is dimly recollected but there was a game against Ipswich (probably a cup tie) in which we got a result. And in the TV interviews afterwards Bobby Robson went into this long managerial rant about how the referee had been absurdly biased in our favour, all our goals had been offside, we should have had players sent off, and the result was a total travesty etc etc etc.

And Bond listened to this and when eventually he was asked for his reaction he said "Apparently we were very lucky" or something similarly cutting and walked out, leaving Robson looking like a bad loser.

RIP.

On a personal note I remember Bondy coming to present Xmas presents at the Attleborough Gateway Club (which was run by my mum and at which I helped out at).  He was large as life of course, but really easy to talk to and no real airs and graces.  He was really comfortable with the task at hand and had a great time. 

On the pitch, I really enjoyed the team he put together on the pitch, bringing Martin Peters to Carra Rudd really signalled the intentions he had of making Norwich a team to be reckoned with.  Obviously I was young and impressionable but the forward line of Supermac and Charlie still ranks as my favourite pairing, and for them to be succeeded by Reeve and Fash was fantastic too.  Also bringing in Jimmy Neighbour was another good spot. 

His main weakness during his time here was probably being too loyal to his players.  The 1975 League Cup Final, as he admitted afterward, included three or four players who would not have appeared in a normal league match, but he knew it was probably the only time they would have the chance of a wembley appearance so stuck by them.   But this also lead to producing a great team mentality where everyone on the pitch looked like they enjoyed it.

Thanks for the memories Bondy, you really transformed a club known for being hard to beat to also be known for playing great expansive football.  A great education for a young fan.

Sadly, I wasn''t even a twinkle in my parents eyes, but I''ve heard good things. RIP Bond.

Thanks for all the goals and exciting football, Carrow rd was never a dull place in his time, I can still picture him signing my daughters program outside the players entrance the last time I saw him, always had time for the kids R I P

For my generation of fans Bondy took us to a level we had never dreamed possible. The signing of Martin Peters must surely be the greatest signing ever. But it wasn''t just Peters. Bondy brought so many players that were a thrill to watch that it''s impossible to list them all. However the signing of Jimmy Neighbour was typical John Bond. He epitomised the style of football we played and the type of player to wear the shirt in Bondy''s day. RIP, you will never be forgotten...

There will be few on this board that remember him but he cemented his place in Canary history with his magnificant track record in the 1970s. Our thoughts should be with his family at this difficult time, his son Kevin made his mark on canary history, i am not sure where he is working now. I would expext either a minutes silence or applause at either tonights game or saturday. I suppose saturday would provide a more fitting tribute

He certainly was a larger than life, highly respected character.  I remember him well for being manager at the time when we broke the hearts of QPR fans in 1976, and I have a lasting image of him in my head standing on the pitch with his bronze hair before the game.  It was one of the very few home games that I got to at the time but well worth it. RIP John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_w0ekQv3fI

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I would expect either a minutes silence or applause at either tonights game or saturday. I suppose saturday would provide a more fitting tribute[/quote]

He deserves a full house[Y]

While I''m too young to have experienced the Bond era myself, my Dad always said that he was the manager who more than any other instilled the attacking football philosophy at the club which holds true to this day and for that we should all be grateful. RIP John.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

For my generation of fans Bondy took us to a level we had never dreamed possible. The signing of Martin Peters must surely be the greatest signing ever. But it wasn''t just Peters. Bondy brought so many players that were a thrill to watch that it''s impossible to list them all. However the signing of Jimmy Neighbour was typical John Bond. He epitomised the style of football we played and the type of player to wear the shirt in Bondy''s day. RIP, you will never be forgotten...

[/quote]That''s right Nigel, he was the man who brought us the style of football we became renowned for. I only met him once, it was at the old Industrial Club in Oak St after a meeting to introduce building bonds for the River End stand. He was very approachable and I fondly remember chatting to him for about ten minutes. He was very knowledgeable about the game and came over as a larger than life character. Very sad he''s gone but lots of good memories remain.

While Ron Saunders made City a force to be reckoned with, it was a side built in his image, tough, hard working and practical. The arrival of Bond was like moving from the black and white era to  technicolour and there can be little argument that what we now see as "The Norwich style" originated with him. Showy and charismatic in his public image, he was a much loved individual in his private life and he deserves the send off of a true Norwich City hero, so hopefully that will be on Saturday in front of a Carrow Road packed to the rafters.

Great man Bondy, football man through and through and always had time for the fans, have many a fish and chip supper with him and the team on away games in the days when the club and the fans were on the same level.Flambouyant character who raised the level of the club playing some great football. Thoughts with Kevin another great lad who was so underated here imo.