Sign in to follow this  
unique

Liverpool's injury woes

As much as City will miss Bassong if he fails to recover for Saturday, Liverpool will most likely be missing Kelly, Agger and Borini from their Sunday starting line-up.

Last year''s result and performance against Liverpool at home, was probably one of the most disappointing of the season. Fans must hope that the players see this as an ideal opportunity to make up for last year.

If we, as we well might, break our duck against a pretty dis-orietated Liverpool side on Saturday then the undercurrents of discontent expressed about Rodgers and his lack of big-time experience on the Anfield terraces will surely bubble a bit more to the surface.

We are a banana skin club to that lot, who are already smarting from an uncharacteritic start to the season, a recent defeat against their greatest rivals, Everton fan''s continued smirking and the reality that they might well have a struggle on their hands this season.

If Norwich lose, Hughton should and will be immune IMO. 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

If we, as we well might, break our duck against a pretty dis-orietated Liverpool side on Saturday then the undercurrents of discontent expressed about Rodgers and his lack of big-time experience on the Anfield terraces will surely bubble a bit more to the surface.

We are a banana skin club to that lot, who are already smarting from an uncharacteritic start to the season, a recent defeat against their greatest rivals, Everton fan''s continued smirking and the reality that they might well have a struggle on their hands this season.

If Norwich lose, Hughton should and will be immune IMO. 

[/quote]
No I don''t see it that way at all. The essence of what you''re saying is "It''s Liverpool, we probably shouldn''t have expected to win."
No, they are very much a weaker side than last year and weaker even than they have been because of injuries and the red card. If we don''t make their season even worse than it already is I will be thoroughly dissapointed. The way I''m seeing it is there are three points to help ourselves to if our performances match the Tottenham/QPR/West Ham games.
I mean for god sake, apparently Rodger''s is using the back page picture of RVP''s penalty to spur them on in the changing room. That simply has to be demoralising!
We should go out for their scalp and hold it aloft when we do. Hughton is far from immune this weekend.

"The essence of what you''re saying is, It''s Liverpool, we probably shouldn''t have expected to win."

Not really, I have an incling that we could break our duck with this game.

The Liverpool supporters will, however, expect the same for their team, and many times over.

If we win, as we well might, then the knives will probably be out for Rodgers in some of the red areas of Merseyside. 

It was a comment on the Liverpool situation really, where the wheels seem to be coming off.

"The essence of what you''re saying is, It''s Liverpool, we probably shouldn''t have expected to win."

The Liverpool supporters will, however, expect the same for their team, and many times over.

If we win, as we well might, then the knives will probably be out for Rodgers in some of the red areas of Merseyside. 

It was a comment on the Liverpool situation really, where the wheels seem to be coming off.

[/quote]

And also if we win, the 2 monkeys on MOTD will have committed suicide come Sunday morning  

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

And also if we win, the 2 monkeys on MOTD will have committed suicide come Sunday morning  

[/quote]

If we win on Saturday, I''d put money on Lawro not being anywhere to be seen  on MOTD or MOTD2.    He would probably rather swallow himself whole than have to comment on such a result.

If Norwich lose, Hughton should and will be immune IMO

[/quote]

You mean if we win then CH will be immune right?

Kelly, Aggar, Shelvey and Borini out...

Enrique, Carragher, Henderson, Downing are the replacements... its not going to be an easy game becauce a few Liverpool players are missing.

However I expect us to put in a decent performance and CONVERT some of those chances...

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]lots of possession, create 3-4 genuine chances but fail to score... Liverpool will run out winners 0-2 
[/quote]

This could well happen based on past performances, but being an eternal optimist and praying that we play attacking football with wingers (Pilks and Elliot Bennet please!!) rather than ''Ray Wilkins style crab'' midfield football I''m going for a 2-1 win.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]lots of possession, create 3-4 genuine chances but fail to score... Liverpool will run out winners 0-2  [/quote]

This could well happen based on past performances, but being an eternal optimist and praying that we play attacking football with wingers (Pilks and Elliot Bennet please!!) rather than ''Ray Wilkins style crab'' midfield football I''m going for a 2-1 win.

[/quote]the only chance we have of winning is like you say playing 4-4-2 with Snodgrass, Pilks and Garrido pinging balls into their box from the flanks. two reasons, a lot of our success early on last season was from headed goals and Liverpool will have a make shift back four. this game is similar to the Newcastle home game last season, were we won four two, Lambert got his tactics spot on and got balls in the box with Holt and Morison both bagging. Lets see if CH can do the same. 

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]lots of possession, create 3-4 genuine chances but fail to score... Liverpool will run out winners 0-2 
[/quote]

[/quote]

the only chance we have of winning is like you say playing 4-4-2 with Snodgrass, Pilks and Garrido pinging balls into their box from the flanks. two reasons, a lot of our success early on last season was from headed goals and Liverpool will have a make shift back four.

this game is similar to the Newcastle home game last season, were we won four two, Lambert got his tactics spot on and got balls in the box with Holt and Morison both bagging.

Lets see if CH can do the same. 
[/quote]

Not that much of a make shift defence though - Agger is out and will be replaced by Carragher or Coates.

When we played Newcastle they had no centre backs at all, a much battle for Holt and Morison - Liverpool still have Skrtl. Crosses will actually play into their hands, their real weakness is (as with Swansea last year) pressing the centre backs and forcing them into mistakes.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the only chance we have of winning is like you say playing 4-4-2 with Snodgrass, Pilks and Garrido pinging balls into their box from the flanks. two reasons, a lot of our success early on last season was from headed goals and Liverpool will have a make shift back four.

this game is similar to the Newcastle home game last season, were we won four two, Lambert got his tactics spot on and got balls in the box with Holt and Morison both bagging.

Lets see if CH can do the same. 
[/quote]

Not that much of a make shift defence though - Agger is out and will be replaced by Carragher or Coates.

When we played Newcastle they had no centre backs at all, a much battle for Holt and Morison - Liverpool still have Skrtl. Crosses will actually play into their hands, their real weakness is (as with Swansea last year) pressing the centre backs and forcing them into mistakes.

[/quote]

I don''t agree. Playing wingers will allow us to get behind the Liverpool defence, putting in low fast crosses as well as high slow crosses(but less of them I hope as they are relatively ineffective). It''s the low, fast, hard crosses that we have not seen enough of IMO and which can be devastating as unpredictable deflections by defenders and attackers come into play. Also, wingers can drive on with pace into the penalty area looking for passes or shots, avoiding crossing and thus varying the play. 

''A 1 match suspension which he will serve tonight in the Cup so avaliable for Saturday.''

Straight red card - Shelvey out for three matches, for what it''s worth......

[quote user="unique"]''A 1 match suspension which he will serve tonight in the Cup so avaliable for Saturday.'' Straight red card - Shelvey out for three matches, for what it''s worth......[/quote]

Ah. For some reason I thought it was 2 yellows - wonder who I was thinking of.

Good news for the Norwich game, Shelvey has been very good for Liverpool recently.