Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Minutes Silence or Applause Tonight Or Saturday.

And if they did disrespect John Bond or Norwich City, unlike those animals at Man Utd I would not see this as grounds to respond with anything detrimental to those 96 souls tragically killed. I would, however, support my side with a greater voracity to encourage them to respond in the best way possible.

We have seen numerous sides support at Carrow Road show outstanding respect at recent tributes as have our supporters at other grounds; but there is this underlying unpredictability to Liverpool fans who seem to me to fail to see the bigger football picture outside of their own club.

I''d love to see Kevin Bond at Saturday''s game to receive a tribute for his father along with Ken Brown and in my wildest dreams, Martin Peters. Presumably, West Ham will be planning something too.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This is just a wild guess, but maybe who ever decided a minuets silence tonight, and a mins applause on Saturday had that in mind Rudolph. It wouldn''t surprise me. Away fans aren''t the most controllable bunch, and Liverpool do have a reputation.[/quote]

I think that is nonsense. Whatever one thinks about Liverpool fans they ostentatiously regard themselves as understanding and respecting the traditions of the game. It is part of the image. I am sure a minute''s silence would have been perfectly observed.

If anything the idea of applause for Saturday has been added by the club in view of comments here and elsewhere about how the Liverpool game would be more appropriate for a tribute. The original NCFC story only mentioned tonight''s silence. It may be the club was already contenplating something for Saturday as well but wanted to talk to the family. But I am as sure as I can be that the idea of applause then has nothing to do with Liverpool fans being in attendance.

I am so pleased the club have reacted quickly to this. Would have prefered silence on both occasions but I''ll go with what we have got. Lets hope that it doesn''t get ruined by idiots and if everyone gets to their seats in time tonight that would help. Food and drink can be taken to the seats remember. That''s what I shall be doing as I won''t be there till almost kick off.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This is just a wild guess, but maybe who ever decided a minuets silence tonight, and a mins applause on Saturday had that in mind Rudolph. It wouldn''t surprise me. Away fans aren''t the most controllable bunch, and Liverpool do have a reputation.[/quote]

I think that is nonsense. Whatever one thinks about Liverpool fans they ostentatiously regard themselves as understanding and respecting the traditions of the game. It is part of the image. I am sure a minute''s silence would have been perfectly observed.

If anything the idea of applause for Saturday has been added by the club in view of comments here and elsewhere about how the Liverpool game would be more appropriate for a tribute. The original NCFC story only mentioned tonight''s silence. It may be the club was already contenplating something for Saturday as well but wanted to talk to the family. But I am as sure as I can be that the idea of applause then has nothing to do with Liverpool fans being in attendance.

[/quote]

Also, bearing in mind everything that has gone on recently I''d be amazed and incredibly disappointed if Liverpool fans did not show due respect.

The silence tonight will be fitting as it is so soon after the event, but the applause on Saturday will work too.   Its become more traditional to do the applause thing in recent years.    Its hard to explain, but the minute''s applause can be every bit as moving as a minute''s silence imo.    Its the thought that goes into it that is important.   Whether you are clapping or standing silently doesn''t make a difference to what you feel about that person.   JB was a legend and a flamboyant personality.   I suspect he would love the applause.    

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I think that is nonsense. Whatever one thinks about Liverpool fans they ostentatiously regard themselves as understanding and respecting the traditions of the game. It is part of the image. I am sure a minute''s silence would have been perfectly observed.If anything the idea of applause for Saturday has been added by the club in view of comments here and elsewhere about how the Liverpool game would be more appropriate for a tribute. The original NCFC story only mentioned tonight''s silence. It may be the club was already contenplating something for Saturday as well but wanted to talk to the family. But I am as sure as I can be that the idea of applause then has nothing to do with Liverpool fans being in attendance.

[/quote]I quite agree, in light of what''s gone on. If there are a couple of idiots amongst them, they''d probably get ''filled in'' by their own supporters.

The minutes silence last night was fantastic you could hear a pin drop. Adults & kids alike had so much respect. One young lad even put down his crisps & drink as we stood for the silence. 

Unfortunately its applause on Saturday, although I would have prefered another silence given everyones reaction last night.