Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

The 5 in midfield.

Seems thats the way we are going to play so which 5 players will give us the best midfield as a whole.

Holding midfielder #1 - the battler.  This for me is either Tettey or Johnson. And looking at general positioning Tettey seems to be a player who will just sit infront of the back 4 and not roam from that position. Johnson seems to go chasing the ball or trying to do too much!

Holding midfielder #2 - The ball player (the scholes). For me this can only be 1 player Fantastic Mr Fox. He links up play really well and can pick a pass. He take the pressure off the back 4 too. He is our Joe Allen (he does the simple things very well) Howson doesn''t have the same passing range as Fox and is better going forward anyway!

Left attacking midfielder. - This is from Surman, Snodgrass and Pilks. Surman is too slow and always and always drifts inside so doesn''t offer width! Snodgrass doesn''t seem to have the pace needed to beat players and doesn''t get the cross in for the strikers to get the head on, which is where a large amout of goals were scored from last season! Pilkington is the man for me. He chips in with goals (8 last season) and is more direct when he has the ball.

Right attacking midfielder. - This is from Snodgrass and Bennett. I''d only play Bennett on the right purely because he is naturally right footed. Snodgrass isn''t able to put a good cross in with his right foot and always needs to cut back onto his left. So even if he beats his man he can''t cross until he has cut inside again, and with the defender usually back they get a block in.

Center attacking midfielder - This is between Hoolahan, Butterfield and Howson. I have''t seen Butterfield play yet (missed cup match due to playing 5-a-side) but seems like he could soon be a fans favourite. Hoolahan has been superb since his arrival at this club. Many wanted him to leave early on due to the fact he wasn''t ''Hux'' but he is a totally different player. As we have seen in the past 3 seasons he creates goals. He came on today and was always looking for the ball and trying to create, driving forward when possible and never just ''HOOFing'' the ball long. Howson doesn''t have the creativity that Hoolahan does so for this reason I would pick Hoolahan. Howson would be a ideal sub for either Hoolahan or Fox when holding onto a lead late on as a player that can get from box to box and break up play. But when going into a game to win Hoolahan is the best player for this role.

your observations are a fair reflection of our first team midfielders. However we seem to have a manager/ coaching staff who are unable to utilise the talents they have available.

Todays most bizzare decision was to bring on Tettey when we were 5 1 down.

It would appear this tatical masterstroke was so he could sit just in front of the back 4 and prevent Liverpool playing.

A classic case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted

brilliant....