Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Your Team v Liverpool

Ruddy

E.Bennet Barnett R.Martin Garrido

Howson Johnson

Snodgrass Butterfield Hoolahan

Holt

Lot of changes here which I doubt Hughton would do, the defence needs to be altered tho, I don''t wanna see Suarez up against Barnett/Turner. Maybe Martin RB and Garrido CB with Tierney coming in.

Can Garrido play CB???

If Bassong is not fit, I would be inclined to persevere with Barnett. He is playing as well as he ever has with us, and has the virtue of being quick. The more difficult question is who plays with him, and here I would go for Martin''s skill and experience, rather than the promise of Ryan Bennett.

RuddyMartin Barnett Bassong GarridoPilkington Howson Tetty Snodgrass           Holt       Morison

I was all excited thinking about the team vs Liverpool, but I now feel very disheartened after today''s revelations.  I think it is highly likely that Hughton is going to definitely start with only 1 up front. Now that we''re down to 3 strikers plus Martin I think Hughton doesn''t think he can start with 2.[:(]

I know this is supposed to be my team, but I''ve lost heart.  I think Tettey and Hoolahan will start ion a 5 man midfield with Hoolahan playing behind Holt.

Prediction: Norwich 0 - 1 Liverpool (Gerrard Pen, 69)

[:(]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I was all excited thinking about the team vs Liverpool, but I now feel very disheartened after today''s revelations.  I think it is highly likely that Hughton is going to definitely start with only 1 up front. Now that we''re down to 3 strikers plus Martin I think Hughton doesn''t think he can start with 2.[:(]

I know this is supposed to be my team, but I''ve lost heart.  I think Tettey and Hoolahan will start ion a 5 man midfield with Hoolahan playing behind Holt.

Prediction: Norwich 0 - 1 Liverpool (Gerrard Pen, 69)

[:(]

[/quote]

Personally I hope we only go for one up front - we currently have 3 strikers struggling for form and goals - whilst Hoolahan, Johnson, Snodgrass, Tettey, Pilkington and Howson have all been looking good in the previous matches.

Having one striker isn''t necessarily a defensive move - Arsenal have nearly always only played with one up front and it is impossible to call them defensive. It''s all about getting attacking players close to that one striker, as long as Hoolahan, Snodgrass and Pilkington stay fairly narrow and near Holt (or whoever the striker is) the system can work well - 4-2-3-1 is probably the most common formation amoungst top flight teams across Europe recently, to say they are all defensive or negative is wrong.

It''s not about the formation, it''s about the players and the mentality. Barcelona and Spain have shown playing zero strikers can be offensive (an extreme example I know).

If Bassong is fit, otherwise replace with Turner

Ruddy
R.Martin - Barnett - Bassong - Garrido
                  Tetty - Howson
          Snoddy  - Hools  -  Pilks/Bennet (whoever is fittest)
                          Holt

With 2x DM''s we can really let the 4 front men run riot. i went for howson over Johnson so when we do have the ball we have a bit more going forward, but maybe better having BJ in there.

[quote user="Vazzza"]

Ruddy
                  Tetty - Howson
                          Holt

With 2x DM''s we can really let the 4 front men run riot. i went for howson over Johnson so when we do have the ball we have a bit more going forward, but maybe better having BJ in there.

[/quote]

I like this line up.................but Hughton won''t!

Stick with a a 4-2-3-1 for me.   As Bethnal points out none of strikers are pulling up trees so play to our strengths,  which are our pacey and creative midfielders - esp Wessi.   Ensure we defend high up the pitch pressuring the ball from the front 6 when we dont have it

If Bassong is fit we start with him,  otherwise use players in their dedicated positions

Ruddy

RMartin  Barnett  Bennett  Garrido

Tettey/Fox   Johnson

Pilkington   Hoolahan     Snodgrass

Morison                        

Add Bennetts pace in the second half,  perhaps butterfield or Howson

That is far more attacking than the 442 options we have

If Bassong isn''t fit to play, I''m sure he''ll pick Turner in his place. It sounds as if Pilkington is also a doubt, so if he isn''t ready Bennett might be considered.

I hope Hoolahan plays and if he does I guess we will only play with one striker ie Holt.

So I think the line-up will be something like this:

RUDDY

MARTIN TURNER BARNETT GARRIDO

TETTEY HOWSON

BENNETT SNODGRASS

HOOLAHAN

HOLT

If Hoolahan doesn''t start Jackson should play to give us some pace up front. Johnson would be very unlucky to be dropped so he might keep his place and move Howson further up the pitch in place of Bennett who may not be 100% yet. I don''t expect Butterfield to start but he may be a sub.

With so many options in midfield the line-up is very difficult to predict particularly the middle.

Ruddy

E. Bennett      R. Bennett      Barnett      Garrido

Howson         Fox

Snodgrass      Hoolahan      Pilkington

Jackson

Like that most of us have gone for tettey to come in to the side. But I would see howson dropped to the bench not Johnson going on this seasons performances. Plus some complaining that we have to play 2 up top and hoolahan must play. How is that possible as he only plays in one position! Playing hoolahan with snoddgrass and Pilks wide with one up top is NOT defensive people! Nobody plays 2 up front anymore 4-3-3 the usual.

If Bassong is fit then obviously he starts. If not, i would be tempted to play E Bennett at right back and play Martin in the middle with Barnett. Liverpool don;t have any big strikers. Mobility at CB is going to be more important than height and I just don;t trust turner up against Suarez with his ability to run in behind.

So I would go for:

Ruddy

Martin/Bennett Bassong/Martin Barnett Garido

Tettey  Johnson

Snodgrass  Hoolahan  Pilkington

Holt

If Pilkington and Benno are available tomorrow I''d start them both and drop Surman and Snodgrass.Our lack of goals is partly down to Surman and Snoddy imo. They just havent been quite good enough when supporting the striker/s. Wes coming back was a major positive for me at the Newcastle and Donny games.For me I''d try and get back to what worked so well for us last year.                         Holt                     Jackson                                     Wes                       Pilks           Fox         Benno                Gary-do Barnett Turner Russ M                                     Ruddy

Interesting that everyone so far has been in favour of dropping Surman.

I agree, because we are lacking in goals (which is where we have missed Pilkington).

Also agree on playing Russ Martin at centre back, with Elliott Bennett to come in at right back.

So:

Ruddy

E Bennett - R Martin - Barnett - Garrido

Snodgrass - Johnson - Tettey - Pilkington (if fit, if not Howson left midfield)

Hoolahan

Holt

I like Surman, but I really don''t understand how he managed to play 170 mins in the last two games. Should have come off after 10/15 mins in second half of both games. Probably shouldn''t have even started against Newcastle. And I like him, have always rated him but he just didn''t play well enough. He showed what he can do in a few attacking spells but they were few and far between, and he like the rest of our players lacked that extra bit of cutting edge in the final third to beat the GK or provide that deadly ball.

I''d go for:

Ruddy

Martin, Barnett, Turner, Garrido

Bennett, Tettey, Johnson, Pilks

Moro, Holt.

I want Hoolahan to start. But I think we can batter Liverpool''s defence with Holt and Moro, they have a couple of first choice players out (Kelly and Agger), can Carragher really deal with Holt? Probably not. Pilks and Benno out wide to provide plenty of width, pace and decent crossing. Snodgrass and Hoolahan as options if its not working.

The one thing I am disappointed in, i regard to Hughton is subs. I''m not on about him not going for it, but he seems very nervous when it comes to subs. I''ve always thought to make a real difference a player needs more than 15 mins, I think if your not winning you really need to be making a change or two on the hour, not sending your players to warm up after 70 mins...

Oh and I also think he''s very worried about injuries. I think he didn''t make the 3rd sub against West Ham because a couple of our players had gone down under rough challenges, Surman was limping a bit, Barnett as well at one point I think. I am fairly sure he didn''t want to bring a player off with 10 or so mins to go and then have someone go down injured after that. Same at Newcastle, think he left the 2 subs as late as possible after the Bassong injury early on.

I''d be a bit worried about Martin at CB for this one. I think his pace would let us down against the likes of Suarez.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Vazzza"]

Ruddy
                  Tetty - Howson
                          Holt

[/quote]

I like this line up.................but Hughton won''t!

[/quote]

You could not be further off the mark if you tried. This is what Hughton has been aiming and planning for since day one. It''s no coincidence that Tettey played that DM position for Rennes and Kane played the middle AM for Spurs U21s, also Tettey said that Hughton''s plan is to play 4-2-3-1.

and now for something slightly different.                                                                                                                                 Ruddy

R. Martin       Barnett        R. BennettE.Bennett                                                                                                         Garrido                                                Tettey                    Butterfield                                                              Hoolahan

Jackson                     Holt

The above assumes that Bassong will not be fit, otherwise he would come in for Barnett.  Pilkington, Snodgrass/Surman, Tierney, Turner, Morison, Bunn and Fox.It''s only the Scousers at home so let''s go for it!

[quote user="Thumbelina"]and now for something slightly different.                                                               

Ruddy

R. Martin       Barnett        R. Bennett

E.Bennett                                                                                                         Garrido

Tettey                    Butterfield

Hoolahan

The above assumes that Bassong will not be fit, otherwise he would come in for Barnett.  Pilkington, Snodgrass/Surman, Tierney, Turner, Morison, Bunn and Fox.

It''s only the Scousers at home so let''s go for it!
[/quote]

I quite like this system, although I''d play different personel, with Bassong coming in for R.Martin if fit and Johnson for Butterfield. Think you''ve gone too light on the midfield.

Definitely an interesting idea tho, maybe not one to experiment with against Liverpool!

I assume Bassong will not be fit so|

Ruddy

Russ Martin Barnett Turner Garrido

Howson. Johnson. Hoolahan. Tettey

Jackson. Holt

If we need a plan B then Pilks and Benno for Howson and Johnson.

I will be shocked if he does not play either bassong or turner. I get the impression he will always play an experienced defender partnering another. Barnet along side some experience is class. At the minute bassong is the man. But obviously if the injury keeps him out then turner gets the nod. Turner has suprised me. I really thought he would be a top player for us. Time will tel

My team :......

Ruddy

R martin. Bassong /turner. Barnett. Garidooo ohhh

Snoddy. Johnson. Tetty. Pilks/surman

Wes

Holt /Moro

The first player I would prefer. Although still like the Holt/Jacko combo .

--------------------ruddy------------------

bennett-----barnett-------bassong----garrido

--snodgrass-------tettey------pilkington------

---------butterfield-----hoolahan-------------

--------------------holt-----------------------

i think this is our best team based on form. (howson no so good so far and BJ not so good last game he played, with holt and wes who always work well together).

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

If Bassong is fit then obviously he starts. If not, i would be tempted to play E Bennett at right back and play Martin in the middle with Barnett. Liverpool don;t have any big strikers. Mobility at CB is going to be more important than height and I just don;t trust turner up against Suarez with his ability to run in behind.

So I would go for:

Ruddy

Martin/Bennett Bassong/Martin Barnett Garido

Tettey  Johnson

Snodgrass  Hoolahan  Pilkington

Holt

[/quote]
Gets my vote except I would possibly bring little Simeon in for Pilks (who is struggling with a back injury i believe so may not be available anyway). Play more of a 4-2-2-2 with hooly and snoddy given licence to roam. Liverpool defence is significantly weakened although their fullbacks have pace to burn so i think we need to play through the centre at speed, which is why I would put Jacko in as his pace will give them all sorts of problems in the channels and through the middle.

[quote user="Vazzza"]

[quote user="Thumbelina"]and now for something slightly different.                                                                                                                                 Ruddy

R. Martin       Barnett        R. BennettE.Bennett                                                                                                         Garrido                                                Tettey                    Butterfield                                                              Hoolahan

The above assumes that Bassong will not be fit, otherwise he would come in for Barnett.  Pilkington, Snodgrass/Surman, Tierney, Turner, Morison, Bunn and Fox.It''s only the Scousers at home so let''s go for it![/quote]

I quite like this system, although I''d play different personel, with Bassong coming in for R.Martin if fit and Johnson for Butterfield. Think you''ve gone too light on the midfield. Definitely an interesting idea tho, maybe not one to experiment with against Liverpool!

[/quote]I agree that Butterfield instead of Johnson could leave us a little open defensively and that this worry is increased by the likely absence of Bassong. I just felt that last year at home against Liverpool and even at Anfield at times during the first half that we gave the ball away far too cheaply.  When picking the above personnel my thinking was that the better possession of the ball offered by either Butterfield or Fox alongside Tettey would result in less opportunities for Liverpool to attack our back three/five.We need goals and they sometimes say that the best form of defence is to attack.I can definitely see where you are coming from though and I also feel that it would be very harsh indeed to drop both Johnson and Howson from the squad entirely.I certainly think that this system offers us a lot, but with Bassong missing and trying to find the most balanced midfield and what each player has to offer in such a new formation would be likely to take some time.  I think far too many people have written this formation off due to the half a match that Lambert used it in last season.  Well we have a new manager and have signed several new players since then and with all of the midfielders we have at our disposal I would like to see a 3-5-2 considered more.