Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Managerial Dilema

There is a lot of emotion around at the moment but lets try and look at the arguements  for and against Hughton

For   he is the man that virtually everyone at the club wanted and has a very respectable track record. You dont become bad within the space of a couple of months. He has shown signs of getting things right, at least tightening upthe defence apart from the two humiliations v Fulham and Liverpool. He has other players at his disposal which he will be forced try, Turner needs to be taken out of the firing line as does Surman  with question marks over Martin and Howson. There is another big issue If we get rid of him and his management team they are on 3 year contracts the compensation will run into millions and wipe out the januarytransfer kitty. also should we go down he is well proven inthe championship and  be well placed to get us up again

Against    At the moment he does not seem to know his best team and has persisted in playing the likes of Turner and Surman at the expense of arguably better players in  the form of Ryan bennett and Hoolahan.I do not have a lot of confidence in his back room staff who are failed managers. He is starting to lose the confidence of supporters and there does seem to be a lack of leadership and harmony in the squad. With the forthcoming fixtures things are likely to get worse before they get better. If a change is to be made the new person needs to be one that can get the most out of the squad at the moment there is a feeling it is underperforming.

On balance a would give him more time , lots of it certainly into the new year by which time it will be clear which direction we are going. If a change is to be made then it would be  January with the transfer window although as said above the compensation would wipe out the January budget anyhow. Dont forget things can change quickly in this leage remember wigan lost 10 in a row then hit form and stayed up we are capable of that if the right players are picked and they are motivated and confident

[quote user="Wiz"]

Err, I didn''t want him, and nor did a few others, otherwise, a good post Yorkshire.

Holloway or McCarthy were my choices btw.

[/quote]

holloway = although he plays attacking football, took blackpool down because they couldn''t defend.

mccarthy = although he plays defensive football, he got sacked before he took wolves down  because they could defend or score

hughton = although playing very balanced football and taking newcastle from the championship to being a mid table prem side, he was sacked before he could complete the season.

I don''t think I would want anyone to do anything hasty just yet. But I think we do need 2 performances against Chelsea and Arsenal. I am not necessarily saying points but displays which indicate that the team is organised and has a clear understanding of what they are doing. If that is not forthcoming then I think after the Villa game you probably do need to have a serious assessment of the situation. Putting the tin hat on.

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Wiz"]

Err, I didn''t want him, and nor did a few others, otherwise, a good post Yorkshire.

[/quote]

holloway = although he plays attacking football, took blackpool down because they couldn''t defend.

mccarthy = although he plays defensive football, he got sacked before he took wolves down  because they could defend or score

hughton = although playing very balanced football and taking newcastle from the championship to being a mid table prem side, he was sacked before he could complete the season.

[/quote]

hughton = a demented chimpanzee coul have got the Newcastle side promoted.

McCarthy = very good at keeping Wolves up for years on a tight budget.

Holloway = if we''re going to go down, lets go down fighting and enjoying it, and he would!

How do you know compensation would wipe out our January transfer budget?? Staying in the premier league is the aim and hughton is taking us one way at the moment, getting rid of him and his backroom team and replacing them with someone who can get the best out of our squad as Lambert did will be money well spent!!

[quote user="steve b"]How do you know compensation would wipe out our January transfer budget?? Staying in the premier league is the aim and hughton is taking us one way at the moment, getting rid of him and his backroom team and replacing them with someone who can get the best out of our squad as Lambert did will be money well spent!![/quote]

All well and good but with whom and how long are people prepared to give the new manager?

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

.. and in my view Hughton was sacked because he was frustratingly tactically inept, as we are now witnessing.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="steve b"]How do you know compensation would wipe out our January transfer budget?? Staying in the premier league is the aim and hughton is taking us one way at the moment, getting rid of him and his backroom team and replacing them with someone who can get the best out of our squad as Lambert did will be money well spent!![/quote]

All well and good but with whom and how long are people prepared to give the new manager?

[/quote]Depends on the fixtures he inherits, but I''d say one game or two.

Which journeymen manager do you suggest we will do a Wigan this year struggle but survive and why are people not questioning the Muppets on the board they appointed the manager just didnt give him enough money to spend little old Norwich prudence without ambition syndrome I''m afraid we will be ok

I think Lambert would of been backed more than Hughton. I think Lambert would of signed Lowton, J.Bennett, Westwood for us and not dead wood like Turner. Lambert left because we couldn''t afford or attract players like Vlaar and Benetke.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

.. and in my view Hughton was sacked because he was frustratingly tactically inept, as we are now witnessing.

[/quote]

From what I understand, Hughton was sacked because Mike Ashley didn''t like him. Firstly he thought Hughton didn''t have the respect of the players (as he treated them like adults rather than children) and he also thought Hughton wasn''t high profile enough for a successful Premier league side, whilst Alan Pardew was.

So Hughton signed Turner. Not a great buy so far. Did Lambert sign no duds? Hughton has also signed Bassong and Garrido two of the best defenders we''ve seen for a while and certainly so far better than any Lambert bought.

Tettey and Butterfield have started well

True Snodgrass has blown hot and cold but he still has the ability to make an impact once he adjusts

I don''t think the criticism of Hughton''s transfers stacks up.

Incidentally, Yorkshire. What''s the issue with Martin ? I agreed that he was man of the match yesterday and he seem to have improved this season considerably

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]So Hughton signed Turner. Not a great buy so far. Did Lambert sign no duds? Hughton has also signed Bassong and Garrido two of the best defenders we''ve seen for a while and certainly so far better than any Lambert bought. Tettey and Butterfield have started well True Snodgrass has blown hot and cold but he still has the ability to make an impact once he adjusts I don''t think the criticism of Hughton''s transfers stacks up. Incidentally, Yorkshire. What''s the issue with Martin ? I agreed that he was man of the match yesterday and he seem to have improved this season considerably[/quote]

By and large i have been an admirer of Martin both on and off the field since he has been here. He does get beaten for pace though and everyone around me laughed when he got MOM as we all thought he had a bad day. His better performances for me have always been at centre half. i appreciate we do not have many options at RB with whittaker injured. elliott Bennett played there wednesday and is a possible option if need

It''s so interesting how opinions vary. I agree that Martin is a good centre back but as I say he has improved enormously.

The positives for me yesterday were that Martin and Garrido played well. They were both beaten on occasions but what full back isn''t? Look how Pilks ran Cole ragged here last season.

Actually, Leon did ok yesterday and full credit to him for fighting till the end. He threw himself at Suarez to try and stop the first.

I realise it sounds ridiculous to praise three of the backs who let in five but I think that is consistent with how poorly Turner played and how dislocated the system was with one player having a mare. Liverpool were too good to allow us to regroup and cover the errors.