Sign in to follow this  
Fraz

Elliot Ward v Michael Turner

I rest my case.  I have now seen turner play 3 games and he has be poor.  What a waste of money.

The second goal today was more Garrido''s fault than Turner''s, to be fair.  Awful pass.  Turner''s touch didn''t help but his only real option was to hoof it first time as hard as he could up the pitch.He does look a bit crap though.

Based on what we''ve seen so far, Turner is no better or worse than Ward. However, he may well settle. Can''t see why we bought him really, given we also have Bassong and Ryan Bennett is such a gem. I''d have put Turner''s transfer fee towards a striker...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The second goal today was more Garrido''s fault than Turner''s, to be fair.  Awful pass.  Turner''s touch didn''t help but his only real option was to hoof it first time as hard as he could up the pitch.He does look a bit crap though.[/quote]

Rubbish. It was Turners crap control. If his only option was to hoof it then that is exactly what he should have done.

Turner has made two starts and we have conceded 5 goals in each. I don''t think any more needs to be said.

Ward is not good enough and turner is becoming a nightmare and not seeming much better.

He was not solely to blame for the second, but that pass from garrido is a scenario cbs face numerous times in a match; he had the option of clearing his lines, which he did not (like the first goal, his appalling clearance (65 seconds into teh game he was already out of shape with teh rest of the defence and too deep) was so weak it failed to cleara his own pen box) and had he controlled the ball with a better first touch he could have passed the ball out, or laid it simply to one of the midfielders. His touch was poor and the main contributor to us losing possession, not garridos poor choice but ultimately safely completed successful pass.

His confidence seems shattered, poor positioning, lack of conviction or pace affecting his team mates.

[quote user="QHcanary"]My gut feeling is that Turner is less error prone than Ward. Yes, he played Ba onside but he was tracking the run of Cisse. He could have let him run offside, but the lack of tracking on Ba was equally bad. Other than that I can''t remember any glaring errors.[/quote]I''d like to be self quoting to say I told you so, but after yesterday''s shambles, I 100%, unreservedly, cap in hand retract the above statement. I couldn''t believe it when Turner re-appeared for the 2nd half.

Ward and Turner are probably as good as each other. Ward had a nightmare v suarez last season this time it was Turners turn. I am surprised how bad he has been given that he has considerable experience at Premiership level unlike ward.he does need to be taken out of the firing line for a while at least now. He is bound to be shell shockedand Hughtons credibility is starting to ebb away and he needs to start getting that back or his days will be numbered

Let''s not forget Barnett''s errors yesterday too Zip, he did make several of them.

You appear to believe that Ryan Bennett is an accomplished centre back who has never made an error for NCFC too, when he is actually a raw talent who has made more than a handful of basic errors himself.

Turner has been awful each time I have seen him and is making me wonder why we sold Michael Nelson if that particular signing is to be seen as progress.  A more open analysis tells us that Bassong is the only centre back at the club to have done well in each game that he has played for us.  Richie De Laet, Leon Barnett, Daniel Ayala, Ryan Bennett have all offered us no more than we aleady had when promoted to the Premier League apart from a little more strength in depth.  None of them are good enough or quite the finished article to expect to play alongside Bassong (currently if fit) at centre back.  If any of the above players have offered us more than we had, then why are none of these individuals playing at the heart of NCFC''s defence each week and why aren''t the team conceeding few while picking up some decent results?

I realise that it has something to do with the midfield and forwards too, but you must admit that none of the above central defenders have shown enough to show that they are a clear improvement on what was already at the club.

this is where we are being found out in other areas also.  Not enough quality signed that has clearly improved our best 11 and too many players of a similar standard to what we had at the club already have been added to our squad.  While we needed more strength in depth last season, this summer should have been about adding a bit of real quality to the starting 11.  So far the only drastic improvement we have seen is Bassong.

I am not saying that we may not have picked up another star signing or two, but we are unlikely to know until Tettey gets the chance he should have got a couple of weeks ago and Butterfield is given a few starts too.

Oh and before anyone says it, yes I do realise that adding real quality to your first 11 costs serious money at this level.  All I am saying is perhaps Hughton purchased too many players in the summer and instead should have targetted approximately four players who would have made a drastic improvement to our first team.

We didn''t need a squad overhaul.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]The only worry about a player like Turner, is that he will end up like Gary Doherty. Despite being a poor signing somehow becoming am NCFC regular and playing for years until finally finding his level in League 1.[/quote]

This amuses me. Those who thought that Gary Doherty was a good defender should be bound and gagged when it comes to discussing the art of defending.

[quote user="Thumbelina"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]The only worry about a player like Turner, is that he will end up like Gary Doherty. Despite being a poor signing somehow becoming am NCFC regular and playing for years until finally finding his level in League 1.[/quote]

This amuses me. Those who thought that Gary Doherty was a good defender should be bound and gagged when it comes to discussing the art of defending.

[/quote]That''s Nigel Worthington then.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Mister Chops"]The second goal today was more Garrido''s fault than Turner''s, to be fair.  Awful pass.  Turner''s touch didn''t help but his only real option was to hoof it first time as hard as he could up the pitch.He does look a bit crap though.[/quote]

Rubbish. It was Turners crap control. If his only option was to hoof it then that is exactly what he should have done.

Turner has made two starts and we have conceded 5 goals in each. I don''t think any more needs to be said.[/quote]It''s not rubbish - it was a crap pass to make.  Turner didn''t help himself but he shouldn''t have been played a pass with two Liverpool players surrounding him, one in front & one behind.

I do think that leon was also poor, and have said all 4 were, all contributing to at least one goal.

Barnett has at least looked ok this season, if only with Basssong, who is clearly our stand out defensive performer.

Ward is not an option, so that only leaves barnett, bennett and turner; barnett and bassong has worked so far.

Turner and bennett was poor

Turner and barnett was poor

The only option excluding bassong left untried is barnett and bennett.

With turner contributing to goals in every game he has played so far he needs a break while we chase a first win. I dont like changing centre backs, but turner is causing us problems, and less than de laet was dropped for last season, at least he only had one mistake a game!

turner does have a part to play, i hope bassong is quickly fit, if not we need a viable alternative partnership at cb.