Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

No surprise as been here before

We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert we should be used to it we will never be a big club and hold our own in the premier we have been signing championship quality players and rejects from premier clubs sometimes this works for a while eg holt but mostly they are not up to standard I predict we will fire houghton mid season and go down then it will be a case of wait and see sorry I am a realist !

I agree with the sentiment. Football is a cyclical business and I think we''ll return to our level in the Championship. I don''t however think that Hughton will be sacked.

[quote user="yellow old boy"]We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert we should be used to it we will never be a big club and hold our own in the premier we have been signing championship quality players and rejects from premier clubs sometimes this works for a while eg holt but mostly they are not up to standard I predict we will fire houghton mid season and go down then it will be a case of wait and see sorry I am a realist ![/quote]

I am a realist too - despite what a lot of people think - and I see that things are going to improve.   The games have been mixed imo and we have been unlucky sometimes as well as poor sometimes as well as some good play.  As I say, a mixed bag.  It is simply too early to write off the  the manager.  He has pedigree and needs to settle the team down over the next few weeks, get the best combination and go from there.  The realism in me tells me we have had good chances to score in every match, with Bassong fit we have a well organised defence.  With Pilks and Benno we have width, Butterfield to add to the mix - Tetty has not even started yet.   Realistically?  We are going to get stronger.    There is no other way. 

I am also a realist, and I say that:a) By now, Hughton will know his preferred players and tacticsb) they aren''t working very well at the momentc) he will need to change something (or many things), or he will faild) he might change something and still fail, but if he doesn''t change something (or many things) then he will definitely faile) the players are not blameless either, and they have been performing below last season''s standards - not just up front but everywhere except maybe Ruddy.  So blaming Hughton alone is harsh, though understandable.

[quote user="yellow old boy"]We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert [/quote]

So John Bond was appointed halfway through a relegation season but gets us promoted the next and now following the departure of Lambert just six Premiership games ago and you show these as examples of us historically going into free fall.  Really is that how see it ?

Your opinion i suppose but i think i will have to say a tad over the top.

My other gripe is this idea is about signing "championship players." They did well last season in the Premier League. Just because you have played at one particular level doesn''t mean you remain of that standard forever. Is Joe Hart still a League 2 player on the basis he was signed from Shrewsbury? Is Joleon Lescott still a Championship player because he was signed from Wolves? Extreme examples but every player has to start somewhere.

[quote user="yellow old boy"]We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert we should be used to it we will never be a big club and hold our own in the premier we have been signing championship quality players and rejects from premier clubs sometimes this works for a while eg holt but mostly they are not up to standard I predict we will fire houghton mid season and go down then it will be a case of wait and see sorry I am a realist ![/quote]

Reality is a crutch for people who can''t handle drugs(Lily Tomlin 1939-)[;)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="yellow old boy"]We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert we should be used to it we will never be a big club and hold our own in the premier we have been signing championship quality players and rejects from premier clubs sometimes this works for a while eg holt but mostly they are not up to standard I predict we will fire houghton mid season and go down then it will be a case of wait and see sorry I am a realist ![/quote]

I am a realist too - despite what a lot of people think - and I see that things are going to improve.   The games have been mixed imo and we have been unlucky sometimes as well as poor sometimes as well as some good play.  As I say, a mixed bag.  It is simply too early to write off the  the manager.  He has pedigree and needs to settle the team down over the next few weeks, get the best combination and go from there.  The realism in me tells me we have had good chances to score in every match, with Bassong fit we have a well organised defence.  With Pilks and Benno we have width, Butterfield to add to the mix - Tetty has not even started yet.   Realistically?  We are going to get stronger.    There is no other way. 

[/quote]I really enjoy your posts LDC... mainly because I feel more positive after I read them!We HAVE made chances. We HAVE looked better at the back- when Bassong plays. Give Hoot til xmas at least.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I agree with the sentiment. Football is a cyclical business and I think we''ll return to our level in the Championship. I don''t however think that Hughton will be sacked.[/quote]Why is the Championship "our level"? I don''t want to start the "big club vs little club" debate again, but we are one of the 20 best supported clubs in the country, so why shouldn''t we see the Premier League as our natural level?

We undoubtedly have good support. I think as a club we are constrained certainly by our infrastructure and arguably by our owners. I''m not sure 5 years from now they''ll be any PL clubs of our size without overseas/beneficial owners.

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="Highland Canary"]I agree with the sentiment. Football is a cyclical business and I think we''ll return to our level in the Championship. I don''t however think that Hughton will be sacked.[/quote]Why is the Championship "our level"? I don''t want to start the "big club vs little club" debate again, but we are one of the 20 best supported clubs in the country, so why shouldn''t we see the Premier League as our natural level?[/quote]Agreed.

Watching the West Ham game I had this sense of deja vue for 1994/5. Dropping points at home, lacking firepower and ultimately getting turned over by the better teams.

Getting to the Premiership is far far better than being in it frankly! Financially we can''t compete. That''s just footy really.

"AndyJR"]Getting to the Premiership is far far better than being in it frankly! Financially we can''t compete. That''s just footy really.

Attempting to get to the Premiership gives us the opportunity to compete. Once there the reality is that we are part of a competition where for 6 teams 5th place is failure and for 14 teams 17th is success. Unless your team is part of the 6 you will never really experience true success and the opportunity to compete to get to the Premiership can be more exciting. Yes there have been a few yo-yo clubs in recent years but at least their supporters experience the excitement of success in competing for a Championship title.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="yellow old boy"]We must accept this is what city do and have done for years they get a good manager do really well for one or two seasons then he leaves and we go into free fall eg Saunders walker lambert we should be used to it we will never be a big club and hold our own in the premier we have been signing championship quality players and rejects from premier clubs sometimes this works for a while eg holt but mostly they are not up to standard I predict we will fire houghton mid season and go down then it will be a case of wait and see sorry I am a realist ![/quote]

Reality is a crutch for people who can''t handle drugs

(Lily Tomlin 1939-)[;)]
[/quote]

Or, as is the case here, the local football team is the drug and reality is a distant relative who visits once in a rare while.